U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2009, 11:13 AM

222 posts, read 755,098 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Since I have never done it before, I would like to hear some ideas.
Thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 11:36 AM

5,978 posts, read 18,796,209 times
I assume you are going to negotiate after a job offer...please don't mention this before then, unless you are asked. In the event you are asked, always say you are flexible and it is negotiable.

If the offer is not exactly what you had in mind, I would do the following. I say this because it has always worked for me:

I ask if there is any wiggle room at all in the offer, but have a figure in mind based on your honest assessment of your skills and a thorough research of the market rate for the position. Try for midpoint of a range if that is available to you.

If that does not work, request a sign-on bonus. This is a one time commitment to them, and I believe it is not treated as normal payroll (which means they may not have to pay payroll taxes on it, unemployment insurance, FICA, etc. etc.) so it is a sweeter deal to them. Plus, next year, you revert to what was originally offered to you. I got a sign-on bonus in my current job.

Additionally, you can negotiate for additional vacation credits than you would normally have had. For example, if you came in at some cut-off time for getting x many days, negotiate to get the full amount. I should only have had 2 weeks having come in past the time I should have been entitled to 3. I negotiated that and came away with 3.

Negotiate telecommuting options. Your fuel savings translates to dollars.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:20 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,646,018 times
The hardest thing I've found lately is... when the employers call you, they ask for a range right up front. I never know what to say, and when they take me up on my range immediately, I always figure I've started too low! LOL

Old 02-10-2009, 12:38 PM

222 posts, read 755,098 times
Default Negotiating salary

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbcat View Post
The hardest thing I've found lately is... when the employers call you, they ask for a range right up front. I never know what to say, and when they take me up on my range immediately, I always figure I've started too low! LOL
The only right answer is it is negotiable ther eis no offer yet - why to bother.
The process will really start when you get an offer...but how to handle it, I have no clue ..

Old 02-10-2009, 07:31 PM

931 posts, read 3,644,143 times
Employer: We would like to offer you $40,000

You: Okay. I'll have to think about it and I'll get back to you.

The next day (or 2) when you call...

You: I thought about your offer and it was a little lower than what I was aiming for. Based on my ______ achievement, ____ years experience with XZY and _____ work skills, I feel that I am worth $45,000. Would that be possible?

(They are not going to flip out and think you are completely unreasonable. People ask for higher all the time. HR has a set ball park for the salary and they will offer you the lowest first.)

Them: Blah Blah Blah, How about $43,000 (They are not going to go with your number, it's like buying a car..."we can do this, can you do that")

You: That would be great.

The End

Make sure to get your offer in writing and send them a letter accepting the offer with all relevant information.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:41 PM

Scenario 2:

Employer: We would like to offer you $40,000

You: Okay. I'll have to think about it and I'll get back to you.

The next day (or 2) when you call...

You: I thought about your offer and it was a little lower than what I was aiming for. Based on my ______ achievement, ____ years experience with XZY and _____ work skills, I feel that I am worth $45,000. Would that be possible?

(They are not going to flip out and think you are completely unreasonable. People ask for higher all the time. HR has a set ball park for the salary and they will offer you the lowest first.)

Them: Blah Blah Blah, The most we can offer you is $40,000

You: Okay, I'll have to think about it again. When do you need to know by? (Call back the next day or so)

or

You: I am really interested in this position, Is a Sign-On Bonus available?

(Companies can write off a bonus on their taxes and save more money than just paying out a salary)

Employer: I can offer you a $2,000 Cash Sign on Bonus.

You: Great. I would like to accept the offer

Old 02-10-2009, 07:45 PM

61,281 posts, read 82,729,632 times
join a union and stay in the union.
otherwise its godzilla meets bambi

Old 02-10-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
join a union and stay in the union.
otherwise its godzilla meets bambi
That's what liberals say. Unions are ruining America. We need to get rid of them.

Grow some balls and learn how to negotiate.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:21 PM

8,340 posts, read 24,086,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbcat View Post
You need to do research. Before you make/receive that phone call you need to know:
-What people with your experience earn yearly in the position that you are applying for.
-If possible, what the company that you are applying to offers applicants/new hires for the same position that you are applying for.

The problem with negotiating salary is to find that sweet spot somewhere between what you want/deserve to get paid and what the company wants to pay you. If you go too high they will think that you are full of yourself and/or you know very little about the position (because if you knew anything you would know that your request was nuts). If you go too low then they will wonder why you feel that you are worth less than what you really are.

You should only say that you want to negotiate the salary if, and only if, you have the skills (impressive resume) to back this move up. If the potential employer asks you about your required salary needs and you reply with It's negotiable, that sends the message that you are not bringing anything to the table, that you came unprepared, or as stated above, you are an over confident twit who believes that he is hot stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleo View Post
That's what liberals say. Unions are ruining America. We need to get rid of them.

If it wasn't for unions you might not have a leg to stand to negotiate with. Love them or hate them, one thing remains the same; what we consider to be the typical work environment/process today was created by all the things that unions fought for in the past.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:41 PM

61,281 posts, read 82,729,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleo View Post

that would be a bit presumptuous friend to assume i have none.
people with a 38 love to pick fights with the unarmed.
21 million illegals waiting to take my job for 1/3 the pay. how does that relate to my manhood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment