U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 04:14 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 55,009,963 times

Advertisements

That many of the job listings you apply to and interviews that you go may be for nothing because almost every employer post ads for job that are not vacant and fills positions through employee referrals. So the interview that you are may not matter because they already have selected the person for that position.

Something a unemployed person is not supposed to hear but she doesn' know I'm laid off so I couldn't really react to the statement.

So my only options now are

Part Time job
Volunteering
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 08:13 PM

1,111 posts, read 4,455,453 times
Unfortunately, this info is true but I wouldn't let it deter you from continuing to find a new job.

When companies have a opening, they would prefer filling it with internal transfers (unless it requires a specific skill set or experience level), so they will post it internally for 2-3 weeks before posting externally on job boards. By the time it gets posted externally, they might already have strong candidates from internal submissions. Unofficially, they have to post it externally and bring people in for interviews to ensure equal opportunity - even if they already have a person/candidate in mind.

But like I said, not ever job posting falls into this category so don't give up, unless you plan on not working anymore for the rest of your life.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danameless View Post
Unfortunately, this info is true but I wouldn't let it deter you from continuing to find a new job.

When companies have a opening, they would prefer filling it with internal transfers (unless it requires a specific skill set or experience level), so they will post it internally for 2-3 weeks before posting externally on job boards. By the time it gets posted externally, they might already have strong candidates from internal submissions. Unofficially, they have to post it externally and bring people in for interviews to ensure equal opportunity - even if they already have a person/candidate in mind.

But like I said, not ever job posting falls into this category so don't give up, unless you plan on not working anymore for the rest of your life.
I can't give up, I just have to become more creative

Old 02-14-2009, 08:55 PM

18,259 posts, read 21,030,889 times
To state the obvious, job hunting is a numbers game. To improve YOUR odds you MUST network. There are many jobs out there that are NEVER posted.

There are other jobs that are created within a company because someone, who is in a position to do so, believes that you will be an asset to the company. I have seen this happen numerous times. Someone is brought into a company at a great salary simply because of who they KNEW.

Stay positive, keep an open mind, go to many networking events and don't be afraid to let people knew what you are great at doing.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:10 PM

2,541 posts, read 10,849,007 times
why would a corp do an interview if they had no intention of hiring? Doesnt it cost them money to find an interviewee?

That is funny, I went to interview with blinds-to-go (i wanted to make a career change, and the the company intrigued me, and offered me a chance to practice)

But first they told me to visit a store and speak to someone who was in management training

Anyways the store was not packed or anything, and they had like six managament trainees there already, and I thought how come they are looking for another

They even ask me a silly question like how was high school, what does that have to do with retail

Old 02-14-2009, 10:23 PM

24,671 posts, read 65,286,782 times
Welcome back TVSG with yet another post. And I confess that I just don't "get it" where you are concerned and am seriously beginning to wonder if you're a troll of the first degree or a seriously misplaced socially inept 33 year old who held one job for 10 years but has absolutely no clue about life in general. I'm leaning towards the latter. But it's amusing for a while longer! Cheers!

PS: Your Mom doesn't know you were laid off so you couldn't respond to what she said?

Old 02-14-2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Welcome back TVSG with yet another post. And I confess that I just don't "get it" where you are concerned and am seriously beginning to wonder if you're a troll of the first degree or a seriously misplaced socially inept 33 year old who held one job for 10 years but has absolutely no clue about life in general. I'm leaning towards the latter. But it's amusing for a while longer! Cheers!

PS: Your Mom doesn't know you were laid off so you couldn't respond to what she said?

I decided not to tell her because she would be ore annoying than she aleady is when I have a job.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:51 PM

24,671 posts, read 65,286,782 times
At 33 years old, don't you think it's probably time to break that umbilical cord and think for yourself as a grown man without fearing any derogatory comment? Sticks and stones ... Do you have a daddy?

Old 02-14-2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
At 33 years old, don't you think it's probably time to break that umbilical cord and think for yourself as a grown man without fearing any derogatory comment? Sticks and stones ... Do you have a daddy?

i like onion rings better than french fries

Old 02-14-2009, 11:19 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,381,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
why would a corp do an interview if they had no intention of hiring? Doesnt it cost them money to find an interviewee?

That is funny, I went to interview with blinds-to-go (i wanted to make a career change, and the the company intrigued me, and offered me a chance to practice)

But first they told me to visit a store and speak to someone who was in management training

Anyways the store was not packed or anything, and they had like six managament trainees there already, and I thought how come they are looking for another

They even ask me a silly question like how was high school, what does that have to do with retail
Many companies have to prove non-favoritism and have to go through the interview process for legal reasons even though they have someone in mind already.

Not ALL jobs have already decided on a certain person. Remember, you sell yourself! Your personality, really. Sometimes positions are created just because they like you! That happens more at companies at which you may already be employed. Yes, it boils down to who they like. Of course you have to be qualified also - but, as I said, you really sell YOURSELF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment