Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2009, 12:41 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,282,515 times

Advertisements

I am at my 2nd office job having previously worked mostly for large corporations. The office I am at now is a small, tight-knit home health agency. I have noticed a lot of hostility since starting as the temp receptionist; ie, innuendos and comments, such as the use of a phrase I am hearing more and more everywhere I go, "that way", and also, "like that". If you comment on this thread please do not say you have never heard these phrases or don't know what they mean. The culture has shifted in recent years and everyone on this board has probably heard this phrase or used it.

I am 38, have no kids, am premenopausal (ie, over the hill) and am starting to lose my looks a little, probably due to menopause. Sure I am too old to be a receptionist but it is really nobody else's business how I manage my life or career or why I am at such a low level job for my age. I get that this is a small office and that the people I work with don't like me.

I get that it is a bad fit, that I most likely won't get a job offer regardless of my performance, and that I am a 3 month contract to fulfill. What I want to know is what justifies the craptastic hate that has become the norm in U.S. offices. These people have most likely not given a second thought to the fact that they are SEXUALLY HARASSING me on a daily basis but instead think, she's not pretty, she has no kids, she's not like me, she must be THAT WAY.

I have talked to the employment agency but have not told them specifically what is going on.

Any suggestions?

As an aside I am going back on estrogen or something within the next 6 weeks-- the ageism just shocks me really, ever since I went off it. I worked with groups of 20 year olds the last few years when I was on it and regularly heard how young I look, etc. The culture really sucks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 01:35 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,897,553 times
I read, reread and re-reread the line about "that way", and also, "like that" and I can't for the life of me figure out what you're referring to. That doesn't mean that you're not justified in your feelings, but I need context? Do you think they're referring to your age, gender, sexual orientation or looks?

Old 02-27-2009, 01:46 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
I read, reread and re-reread the line about "that way", and also, "like that" and I can't for the life of me figure out what you're referring to. That doesn't mean that you're not justified in your feelings, but I need context? Do you think they're referring to your age, gender, sexual orientation or looks?
I think she means they are insinuating she is a lesbian.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:48 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catrinac View Post
I am at my 2nd office job having previously worked mostly for large corporations. The office I am at now is a small, tight-knit home health agency. I have noticed a lot of hostility since starting as the temp receptionist; ie, innuendos and comments, such as the use of a phrase I am hearing more and more everywhere I go, "that way", and also, "like that". If you comment on this thread please do not say you have never heard these phrases or don't know what they mean. The culture has shifted in recent years and everyone on this board has probably heard this phrase or used it.

I am 38, have no kids, am premenopausal (ie, over the hill) and am starting to lose my looks a little, probably due to menopause. Sure I am too old to be a receptionist but it is really nobody else's business how I manage my life or career or why I am at such a low level job for my age. I get that this is a small office and that the people I work with don't like me.

I get that it is a bad fit, that I most likely won't get a job offer regardless of my performance, and that I am a 3 month contract to fulfill. What I want to know is what justifies the craptastic hate that has become the norm in U.S. offices. These people have most likely not given a second thought to the fact that they are SEXUALLY HARASSING me on a daily basis but instead think, she's not pretty, she has no kids, she's not like me, she must be THAT WAY.

I have talked to the employment agency but have not told them specifically what is going on.

Any suggestions?

As an aside I am going back on estrogen or something within the next 6 weeks-- the ageism just shocks me really, ever since I went off it. I worked with groups of 20 year olds the last few years when I was on it and regularly heard how young I look, etc. The culture really sucks,
This sounds like it is just a HORRIBLE PLACE TO WORK WITH HORRIBLE PEOPLE. There is nothing wrong with you, but they are trying to make you feel that way. I hope you can find something else. Even if this does go perm, they will still have crappy attitudes towards you and you will still be unhappy being subjected to them day after day.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:48 AM

524 posts, read 843,260 times
Sounds like they want someone younger. It's getting harder and harder to find a good place to work...

Old 12-20-2014, 10:03 AM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post

Ditto.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:32 AM

11,198 posts, read 9,074,137 times
Any suggestions?

Get a new job. Don't expect anything from anyone and you will never be disappointed. Humans will discriminate against one another. This will NOT change. The gossip that you are experiencing happens to men that are also not married, shy, living with roommates or family, etc.

In life, you have to conform. Do the below and you will be fine....I AM FREE...I AM FREE...

sexual harassment & ageism in the workplace-getajobpic.jpg

Old 12-20-2014, 10:40 AM

9,873 posts, read 14,112,458 times
This thread is five years old. Pretty sure the OP has moved on.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:11 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,308,989 times
I know this is an old thread but 38 would be the youngest person at most home health agencies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment