Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 02:40 PM

389 posts, read 692,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by starhawk18 View Post
I've already experienced Day 3 and I'm burnt out and my body aches all over.

I have not had a break at all from the time I clocked in to the time I clocked out neither have my other coworkers. I've already accumulated 2 hours of overtime I will NOT get paid for because you don't get paid overtime unless the state board is there during inspection.

The kitchen really needs 3 dietary aides per shift instead of 2 but the nursing home is too cheap.

The kitchen ONLY has enough utensils, plates, cups, ectera, for only one setting so everything has to be rewashed for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. About half of residents barely eat the food we serve.

I have not been properly trained. From Day 1, I've been thrown into a tailspin.

The pay is just above minimum wage. We are constantly on the go, doing this, doing that. In it is incredibly humid in the kitchen without much ventilation.

My "task master" dietary manager has told me that every dietary aide they have hired during the last few months has quit within a few days or a few weeks. She asks me everyday if I am coming back to work the next day.

This particular nursing home is always "Hiring". Now I understand why. Every department in that place is understaffed from CNAs to Nurses to floor techs, ectera.

I'm grateful to have a job but got damn-- this really sucks!
Yup. Let's just say I've had a lot of experience working in nursing homes. They hire only as many staff as the state requires in order to maximize profits, and the workers and residents suffer. I would tell you to suck it up if it's the only kind of work you're qualified for and aren't in the position to better yourself right now, but if they're disobeying labor laws by not giving you breaks or paying you overtime as a non-exempt employee, why would you trust them in any other capacity?

Also, I just have to agree with your sentiments over the sheer amount of food that is thrown away every day in these places after being set in front of people who the staff already KNOWS are not going to eat, residents who are little more than shells and who probably would have already mercifully "passed on" if allowed. It's CRASS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 04:09 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,749,281 times
I think AMerican Nursing Home totally stink and are for profit robbery. I'd never put my parents or myself in one either.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:48 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,514,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I think AMerican Nursing Home totally stink and are for profit robbery. I'd never put my parents or myself in one either.
And THIS, ladies and germs, is what's known as a "sweeping generality" -- the thoughtless inclusion of each and every nursing home in the entire United States of America under one, completely negative, stereotype.

The problem with this viewpoint is that it fails to recognize or account for the hundreds (yes, hundreds) of nursing homes run by religious orders. It fails to recognize or account for the additional hundreds of nursing homes that are run by non-profit organizations, and those run by employee-benefit organizations like the Actors' Equity Association.

With all due respect, Jesse69, renounce your membership in the Ebeneezer Scrooge Society and take an objective, sincere look at reality..... okay?

Old 12-10-2013, 07:30 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,379,395 times
Hahaha this whole thread. Unless you have nursing home experience of major research stop talking.

I worked as a dietary aide for a couple years and a CNA for 3 years at 3 different nursing homes.

It's not that bad. There's drama sometimes (working with all women ime) but other than that some are great and well run. I loved my bosses amd residents in every one. I had some crappy coworkers sometimes but oh well.

I didn't read the whole thread but if you think that job is "that" hard either lose some weight or do some exercise.

Being a CNA is far more physical. They are heavy and it's a lot more lifting.

Either way.. some people should really just not talk. I'd gladly have a family member reside in some nursing homes I've been to and feel comfortable with their care.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Old 12-10-2013, 07:36 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,379,395 times
When you do your job and realize making the residents happy is a primary duty then you will enjoy your job a lot more.

I seriously have some very fond memories of residents while I was both a dietary aide and cna. Once you can begin to realize why you're doing the work and for the residents, not the company, it gets much better. Many can't look past the job though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Old 11-12-2014, 06:30 AM

2 posts, read 9,294 times
Default inexperienced

You have obviously never worked in a kitchen. This is how it is out there. Kitchen jobs are one of the hardest slaveing jobs there are. And people rarely notice it. Hunny that's just how it is. U gotta start from. The bottom and work your way up. People don't notice that working in a professional kitchen is completely different then ur average home clocked meal. The yell at u make you work long hours on your feet. But to work in a kitchen you have to be strong willed hard working and not afraid to get you hands dirty. So either stop whineing or quit ur job cuz ur obviously not cut out for this.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:32 AM

2 posts, read 9,294 times
Default inexperienced

Stop whineing or quit your job. You are defiantly not cut out for this hun.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:49 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,399,574 times
Report the infractions to your state labor board. Document everything. Keep looking for a new job. Good luck.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:55 AM

6,565 posts, read 8,402,207 times
Well, hello 5+ year old thread. Long time, no see.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:58 AM

2 posts, read 7,302 times
Default Wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I agree...I worked in quite a few daycares and preschools...the pay is terrible and you work hard (not just 'teaching' and 'taking care' of kids but scrubbing down classrooms, using some of your time cleaning...).

If you work with kids/elderly everyone expects you to 'deal with' the crap involved..otherwise you'd have a 'better job' or 'harder job.'

Try dealing with a room of whining 3 year olds or (like the OP) sickly, dejected elders and an organization with no resources.
Please stop working with kids. They dont deserve to be stuck with you at all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment