U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Scam: job search, support networks, professional meetings, pyramid schemes, community centers

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 05:16 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,836,073 times

Advertisements

I've been on the job market for several months now, no results. I've made all the right moves, including joining support networks, volunteering, attending professional meetings, etc.

Seems all I meet there are "vulture" people trying to somehow scam me. We exchange phone # and emails, then I'm innundated with work-at-home scams, pyramid schemes, paid "referrals" etc. Seems at times all I do by networking is expose myself to more vultures. I never receive any legit leads that way, face it, if someone has a legit lead they're not attending support group meetings to tell everyone else about it

Its so bad I even took out a seperate email and phone number for such "contacts" at least its a bit of a firewall of sorts. Once a person finds you're looking for work they size you up as desperate and will fall for anything. They also figure you've got a few $$ salted away or what are you living off of? No one can live just off UE. So they figure they might as well get a slice of your pie before someone else does.

I'm now not representing myself as UE. I'm employed, just looking for something better. Hence, not "desperate". Well, no different results so far, but I'm so sick of going to UE "support" meetings at community centers, churches, etc and being flooded with business cards, spam, all from people trying to sell me recruitment services, get in on pryamid schemes, etc. Geez
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 05:22 PM

16,408 posts, read 29,432,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
I've been on the job market for several months now, no results. I've made all the right moves, including joining support networks, volunteering, attending professional meetings, etc.

Seems all I meet there are "vulture" people trying to somehow scam me. We exchange phone # and emails, then I'm innundated with work-at-home scams, pyramid schemes, paid "referrals" etc. Seems at times all I do by networking is expose myself to more vultures. I never receive any legit leads that way, face it, if someone has a legit lead they're not attending support group meetings to tell everyone else about it

Its so bad I even took out a seperate email and phone number for such "contacts" at least its a bit of a firewall of sorts. Once a person finds you're looking for work they size you up as desperate and will fall for anything. They also figure you've got a few $$ salted away or what are you living off of? No one can live just off UE. So they figure they might as well get a slice of your pie before someone else does.

I'm now not representing myself as UE. I'm employed, just looking for something better. Hence, not "desperate". Well, no different results so far, but I'm so sick of going to UE "support" meetings at community centers, churches, etc and being flooded with business cards, spam, all from people trying to sell me recruitment services, get in on pryamid schemes, etc. Geez
Your post made me think of a very helpful book about what it's like to be a slightly older female white collar worker seeking employment:

Amazon.com: Bait and Switch: The (Futile) Pursuit of the American Dream: Barbara Ehrenreich: Books

In an interview on the Amazon website, the author advises:

One, be very careful how you spend your money and time. Since the mid-90s, a whole industry has sprung up to help--or, depending on your point of view, prey upon--white-collar job seekers. The "professionals" in this business are usually entirely unlicensed and unregulated. Also, watch out for events billed as "networking" opportunities that really have another agenda--like recruiting you into expensive coaching or proselytizing you into a particular religion.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:27 PM

2,365 posts, read 10,481,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post

Yes, crooked, slimy people look for other people to take advantage of. And some do very well and have their own television shows.

But when I think of networking it is like a fisherperson fishing only for pike or only for salmon, not throwing too wide their net, and scraping the bottom.

For example, whatever your field is become a member for your industry's magazine. Most fields have a trade magazine and a membership group. Attend meetings if in your city. Stick with your kind...! Update your skills if you can afford to take a class at your community college. Attend seminars in YOUR Field!! if you can't afford it, then ask to volunteer or ask for a scholarship.

if you dont' have a field,, (i don't know if you do or don't) then I will have to think some more how to tackle that situation...

good luck

Old 03-18-2009, 05:42 PM

Good advice, but vultures prey on those meetings, too. I've attended professional meetings in my field, not "help" seminars, they're circulating there, too. Seems anytime I exchange information with anyone, I get sucked into some scam. And professional organizations are usually attended by recent college grads.

Will look for the book, thanks!

Old 03-18-2009, 05:43 PM

6,764 posts, read 20,040,707 times
Marylee..
I have found that when I tell someone I am out of work and looking for a job(as part of a casual conversation/trying to network I get several reactions:

1) "Well things are tough for EVERYONE.' Or "Yeah, it's rough out there, now."
(then they quickly change the subject)

2) Shock and horror (Will it happen to me??? syndrome..) They try to get away ASAP or change the subject.

3)What sort of work do you do? question followed up with a lecture about how I 'should take ANYTHING' and be willing to work my way up.

Are you talking about agencies ripping you off?

Old 03-18-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Marylee..
I have found that when I tell someone I am out of work and looking for a job(as part of a casual conversation/trying to network I get several reactions:

1) "Well things are tough for EVERYONE.' Or "Yeah, it's rough out there, now."
(then they quickly change the subject)

2) Shock and horror (Will it happen to me??? syndrome..) They try to get away ASAP or change the subject.

3)What sort of work do you do? question followed up with a lecture about how I 'should take ANYTHING' and be willing to work my way up.

Are you talking about agencies ripping you off?
I'm talking about just poeple, contacts, you think might have a lead, you know, exchange contact information, then they send you possible "leads" which are just a front for some scam, a headhunter scarfing up business, a work-at-home scam, a pyradmid scheme, etc--all this comes from my attempts at "networking" like I said, if anyone has a legit job leads they certainly aren't going to tell anyone else about it!

I've run into these vultures are seemingly legit places, like church and community sponsored job-search support groups, community college classes, volunteer groups, any time someone senses you're UE they're all over you, dangling a legit offer to suck you into something.

My tact now is that I'm employed, just looking for something better. Don't let them smell blood, they go for it!

Old 03-18-2009, 06:01 PM

okay, I will go for it...

What is your degree? and where have you volunteered? And what professional groups are you a member of and have you attended last months meeting. If your degree is not applicable, what is your field?

Old 03-18-2009, 06:52 PM

6,764 posts, read 20,040,707 times
Your tactic should be rely on you and your own leg work. If you have been led to scams, you have to be aggressive in your job search and contact companies on your own, not expect 'help.'

Unfortunately even if you are with an agency they are looking out for #1 (themselves). They will lie to you, say that the job is great for you, just to get a cut of your weekly paycheck. I know of people who have gone to agencies for jobs and been asked "Where else have you applied?" so the agency can contact THOSE companies and approach them as 'middle men' and get a cut of any job going.

So, 'scammers' come in all shapes and forms, not just obvious ones. Sorry this happened to you.

My question is, if you tell people you are looking for a new job / better job and So and So wants to help hook you up how will it look when you say, "Sorry, I lied, I don't have a job" if you interview at that company? They will want to know about your 'imaginary' recent job. What will you say then?

Old 03-18-2009, 08:50 PM

5,628 posts, read 10,168,767 times
As has been stated in other threads, if you wait until you are looking for a job to network, it probably won't yield the results you want. If, on the other hand, you do it effectively when gainfully employed, you have a network to tap into when you do want a new job.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
okay, I will go for it...

What is your degree? and where have you volunteered? And what professional groups are you a member of and have you attended last months meeting. If your degree is not applicable, what is your field?

To continue: You haven't given enough info. to work with, except your complaint.

So, I will give the situation that I more recently familiar with....

For example 1) I am in a paralegal program. So there is the School's paralegal membership program, which you can join for free.

Then 2) there is the Philadelphia Paralegal Program, which cost about 50 dollars.

then 3) there are two national paralegal programs. All of these memberships give you notices about events, lectures, get togethers. The ones that cost money, give you subdized updating of skills seminar s.

4) I also belong to the National ABA membership. Here you get a magazine, emailed articles, blogs, and seminars, scholarships for national and internation speakers. Then there countless legal organizations that have fundraisers and help your neighbor type functions. Then my school has law week, in which there are resume workshops and lectures and mock interviews. Then there are national legal blogs and paralegal blogs, in which people give advice, and on the job legal software advice.

This is what I mean by casting your net narrow, instead of wide to every dick and harry...

hope this helps..!

All of the above applies to engineering fields,nursing fields, MLT fields, biolgoy fields, advertising, legal, journalism, medicine, business administration, etc, etc..etc..

Think narrow...i don't say that it will definitely get you a job, but all of the people you will meet will be your peer professionals in your field, in your city, state and the nation and even internationally!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment