Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 07:49 AM

973 posts, read 3,304,931 times

Advertisements

Recently, I was reading an article about "Hidden Jobs." According to the article, there are thousands of jobs out there that are never advertised on the traditional career sites such as Careerbuilder or Monster. The well known companies often post on their own website and get inundated with resumes and therefore have no need of other career sites.

The article suggested that people should utilize career networking sites such as ZoomInfo or LinkedIn to find out about these unadvertised jobs. Sorry, I can't find the link to the article now or I would post it.

Anyhow, maybe it is just me but I have yet to find the Networking sites helpful. Perhaps they are helpful for certain types of jobs. IMO, the average person will find a job through other means.

What do you think?
Have you had success with a networking site?
What career field are you in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 08:15 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
Here's the link you were looking for:

http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/106829/How-to-Get-a-Job-When-No-One's-Hiring (broken link)

Old 04-02-2009, 11:14 AM

973 posts, read 3,304,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Here's the link you were looking for:

http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/106829/How-to-Get-a-Job-When-No-One's-Hiring (broken link)
Yep! That's the one. Thank you!

I can't say I buy into the 20-25% turnover rate annually unless it is a terrible company to work for.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:20 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,638,942 times
I've had luck with applying for jobs directly through a companies website. When I was searching, I would check Monster and Careerbuilder to see what jobs were out there - and if I see a role I was interested in, I actually went to the companies website and searched for it and applied through the company website. I would also check through other openings and I would notice that some positions on the company site were not on monster or careerbuilder, so I would apply to them as well.

I guess it's a benefit to the employers since they already have a HR team that handles open positions and reduces the costs of posting jobs on other job sites.

As for networking, I haven't had much luck with them. I've met people and maintained contacts, but never received a job or applied to anything through them.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:14 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
If there were so many jobs, eventually they would have to go outside this 'shhh, hidden network' myth to hire people.

I do not believe in hidden jobs. Basically jobs in companies are not hidden. You have to keep applying and digging.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:00 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
If there were so many jobs, eventually they would have to go outside this 'shhh, hidden network' myth to hire people.

I do not believe in hidden jobs. Basically jobs in companies are not hidden. You have to keep applying and digging.

They are hidden jobs out there you just have to figure out ways to find them. Companies don't like advertisin they have job openings, they rather kept the openings HIDDEN.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:11 PM

1,111 posts, read 4,638,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
They are hidden jobs out there you just have to figure out ways to find them. Companies don't like advertisin they have job openings, they rather kept the openings HIDDEN.
Explain to me your reasoning, companies have job openings, but they rather keep them hidden?! How will they fill the position if it's "hidden?" It's not really a job opening then? Your comment makes no sense whatsoever.

As for the OP, because a job opening is only posted on the company website and not through a job site like Monster doesn't make it "hidden." Job sites are one resource that is available, but by no means is it the only resource.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:14 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by danameless View Post
Explain to me your reasoning, companies have job openings, but they rather keep them hidden?! How will they fill the position if it's "hidden?" It's not really a job opening then? Your comment makes no sense whatsoever.

As for the OP, because a job opening is only posted on the company website and not through a job site like Monster doesn't make it "hidden." Job sites are one resource that is available, but by no means is it the only resource.

Just like I said, Companies don't like receiving a FLOOD OF RESUMES so they rather not advertise they need to fill a position. That's when that opening becomes hidden. That's why Job seekers have to ATTACK the Hidden job market.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:21 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Just like I said, Companies don't like receiving a FLOOD OF RESUMES so they rather not advertise they need to fill a position. That's when that opening becomes hidden. That's why Job seekers have to ATTACK the Hidden job market.
It's working really well for you, isn't it...

Old 04-02-2009, 02:34 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
It's working really well for you, isn't it...

Yes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment