Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 07:57 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,127,981 times

Advertisements

I have been looking for a part-time job that I can do on a part-time basis at night along with my mom, who will do it during the day. Can it be done from home? Does anyone have any advice on how to get started or words of wisdom- the good, the bad and the ugly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2007, 09:56 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,197,268 times
I think you have to have a degree to do medical billing, at least years back when I worked in a hospital they did. It is complicated, especially now with the different types of insurance. If you had a degree they would probably set you up at home, as with medical transcription.

Old 03-31-2007, 07:37 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,792,778 times
I don't think you need a degree, just the funds for equipment and advertising your services, and of course - the training. However, that whole medical billing thing is a bit of a scam and has been for some time. I almost got into it back in the mid 90s because it looked to be very profitable. It turned out not to be so, and the folks that were pushing it were scam artists. That's not to say your situation could be different, but watch your step and I wish you the best of luck.

Old 03-31-2007, 09:36 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,955,273 times
I'd look into a well-known and respected on-line university like the University of Phoenix and see if they offer courses and a degree/training, whatever in medical billing.

Old 04-01-2007, 12:51 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,467,625 times
I've heard that medical billing is yet another occupation being outsourced overseas. I'm sure plenty of opportunities still exist in this country, but be aware of scam artists when it comes to training. Might consider talking with the folks at some doctor's offices before making the commitment to train... Get an idea how large the market is. What's turnover like? What do they pay for services, etc, Good luck!

Old 04-01-2007, 02:46 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,727,526 times
hereinfla...don't know what to say!

Old 04-01-2007, 04:14 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,127,981 times
I know that there are a lot of scam artists in this business in south Florida.
I've followed up on some of the research suggestions and have decided not to pursue it.

Thanks, all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
I've heard that medical billing is yet another occupation being outsourced overseas. I'm sure plenty of opportunities still exist in this country, but be aware of scam artists when it comes to training. Might consider talking with the folks at some doctor's offices before making the commitment to train... Get an idea how large the market is. What's turnover like? What do they pay for services, etc, Good luck!

Old 04-01-2007, 07:02 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,112,514 times
There are many, many, "schools" that teach you medical billing, on site or on line courses. There is even a certificate type of thing through some community colleges.
If you learn to do medical billing, which is a changing field anyway, you're better off working in a billing office - doctors office, multispecialty clinic setting, or hospital. Hospital billing and physician billing are two totally different animals. So medical billing as a general term is not accurate. You could be able to do both if you're very good and experienced.

OK now, to do it as a side job, from home: You need equipment and you need clients. There are several good, well-known Billing agencies and this is what gets the little person. It is not easy to get clients. Much is word of mouth and you need many clients to stay afloat. You need liability insurance for yourself also. How about what specialty? You CAN be good at many specialties but usually will be the best at only one, so how many of those clients can you get?

The real important thing nowadays though: Any third party billing company must have a compliance plan in place and it needs to follow the rules and guidelines that have been published by CMS and the OIG.
In the end, you will have physicians who want to do something other than what you know is right and you either have to lose that client, be an accomplice, or turn them in.

Go into something else.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:07 PM

2 posts, read 13,611 times
Default Medical Billing from Home

Hi. The "billing from home" employment opportunity is a sales gimmick used by a wide range of organizations - from companies selling medical billing software to allied health colleges trying to enroll you in their training program. I strongly suggest that anytime you see a company marketing their products and/or services using a billing from home sales pitch, forget about it. You should also contact the BBB to save other people from the pain of getting scammed.

Dave

Medical Billing, Billing Medical, Medical Billing Services

Old 07-31-2007, 09:42 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,099,662 times
There used to be a chance that you could make money doing Medical Billing from home.

But that has all changed. Just about every doctor's office now has computer systems, even if it's just one terminal. The software for in-office billing is very good and inexpensive. Super Bill firms print up specialized bills for just about every and any type of medical practice. All the clerk has to know is how to type and click on buttons. In a small office, it's something that even the receptionist can do between patients.

It's even possible with the right software to bill the insurance companies direct. No envelopes, no stamps, just a few seconds.

Nope, very unlikely that you could find enough work to do to make it worth your while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment