U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2009, 03:29 PM

3,673 posts, read 2,837,669 times

Advertisements

Hi all- Again I need help from all the good folks on CD. I've been laid off 2 months now, and even before that I had an interest in pursuing a new career in a very unusual, possibly unpleasant but necessary field: Crime and Trauma scene cleanup. The reason is NOT because I enjoy gore and things of that nature, it's just that it's a niche that is needed for sure, not to mention that not alot of people can or are willing to do it. I've always prided myself on doing necessary jobs that not many people can or are willing to do. This job would certainly fall in that category. Also this type of work requires a certain level of professionalism and compassion/empathy, which I also pride myself in having quite a bit of. Certainly after a horrific event, SOMEONE has to clean the scene, and I figure the poor family has enough stress and grief to deal with, without having to do that on top of it.
I would take a certain pride in relieving the families of that awful burden, which I hope would help even alittle in a time of crisis.
I currently am in the Tulsa OK area, and am from Milwaukee, WI. I just wondering how to even apply to work for a company that specializes in this type of work, in either of these 2 cities. Does anyone have suggestions on how to approach or even find a company that does this type of work? Thanks as always for your help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 03:46 PM

5,726 posts, read 11,102,073 times
There is a national association that might be a good start: American Bio-Recovery

Old 04-13-2009, 04:24 PM

2,364 posts, read 10,854,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Hi all- Again I need help from all the good folks on CD. I've been laid off 2 months now, and even before that I had an interest in pursuing a new career in a very unusual, possibly unpleasant but necessary field: Crime and Trauma scene cleanup. The reason is NOT because I enjoy gore and things of that nature, it's just that it's a niche that is needed for sure, not to mention that not alot of people can or are willing to do it. I've always prided myself on doing necessary jobs that not many people can or are willing to do. This job would certainly fall in that category. Also this type of work requires a certain level of professionalism and compassion/empathy, which I also pride myself in having quite a bit of. Certainly after a horrific event, SOMEONE has to clean the scene, and I figure the poor family has enough stress and grief to deal with, without having to do that on top of it.
I would take a certain pride in relieving the families of that awful burden, which I hope would help even alittle in a time of crisis.
I currently am in the Tulsa OK area, and am from Milwaukee, WI. I just wondering how to even apply to work for a company that specializes in this type of work, in either of these 2 cities. Does anyone have suggestions on how to approach or even find a company that does this type of work? Thanks as always for your help.

Well, I don't know, but my guess! is that you will be surprised how competitive this field is and more than likely low paid!

Many people clean up our wastes on a daily basis! Our public toliets where waste and sex occur. Our chemical wastes. And our death wastes from natural and unnatural causes. It is a long and necessary job that people do, without a thank you or good pay.

good luck!

Oklahoma - Suicide, Homicide, Biohazard cleanup, Meth Lab

p.s. Exuse me but CSI investigation type jobs require bachelor degrees at the minimum, since they require at least an associate in post-high school science. And these days, a bachelor's is better.
http://www.crime-scene-investigator.net/employment.html

But clean up jobs do not, and are generally low paid, unless you work for the city as trash employees do, then it is well paid. But more than likely if you work for a private individual, he/she will make all of the money and his/her employees will make 13 to 16 dollars an hour, which in my opinion is not a salary to raise a family with. And there does not appear to be a lot of room for growth, since these companies are small private businesses. It is not like you can start in the mail room of ATT and become President from hard work, talent and loyalty. Those opportunities exist less than they used to, since companies don't want to train you and prefer you go to school and get trained!! Unfortunately!! Which as you know costs 10 thousand to 150 thousand for an associates to a bachelor's degree. ;-)

p.p.s. But honestly, even in the 1700's and before, people have always had to pay to learn a trade. Not only did they have to pay, but they also had to work for free and pay their own room and board! Like Benjamin Franklin, usually young men needed a family member to come up with the bucks to learn a trade!! and you usually lived with your teacher and there was no such thing as a 8 hour day. ;-)

I just wish that the apprenticeship programs in the United States would get more recognition and praise and form a fundamental core of our employment system!

Last edited by gea12345; 04-13-2009 at 04:48 PM..

Old 04-13-2009, 04:34 PM

26,589 posts, read 59,491,687 times
I don't know about other areas of the country, but here in Florida there are quite a few CSI jobs open. Most don't require anything except a HS diploma, they will train you. but you have to be able to deal with all sorts of gross smells, blood, guts, and tragic situations. Might be something to look in to. They actually pay pretty well to start--I want to think $30K or so--not bad at all for a career track job with a HS diploma.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:05 PM

3,673 posts, read 2,837,669 times
thanks all! for what it's worth I do have a bachelor's degree but it's in Geography, but it beats no degree I guess. I would think that due to the nature of this type of cleaning that it would be considered somewhat skilled. I think a worker would at least need to be certified in that area. I'll check out the above link Thanks again all

Old 04-13-2009, 05:12 PM

2,364 posts, read 10,854,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
thanks all! for what it's worth I do have a bachelor's degree but it's in Geography, but it beats no degree I guess. I would think that due to the nature of this type of cleaning that it would be considered somewhat skilled. I think a worker would at least need to be certified in that area. I'll check out the above link Thanks again all

Well, if you graduated with at least a B average, then Phila schools are hiring teachers! If you can take the criminal element in our schools.

good luck!

Employee Entry - School District of Philadelphia

or you can go back to school for a masters in management. Management types make very good money $$ for telling people what to do ;-) lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment