Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2019, 12:26 PM

315 posts, read 299,401 times

Advertisements

Got a question for the HR professionals out there. With a stroke of bad luck I got hired onto a permanent full-time position but got let go 6 weeks later.

- Would the position I got hired for show up in employment history searches?
- If it does what is the best possible way to explain it to the next potential hiring manager so the termination would not look bad on me?

Thanks in advance y'all and look forward to opinions, discussions.

Old 10-04-2019, 12:31 PM

327 posts, read 236,155 times
Let go or Fired? Not being insensitive.. just makes a difference.

I have heard of people getting let go before lunch on their first day before. It does happen.

Old 10-04-2019, 12:35 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,694,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheuss View Post
Got a question for the HR professionals out there. With a stroke of bad luck I got hired onto a permanent full-time position but got let go 6 weeks later.

- Would the position I got hired for show up in employment history searches?
- If it does what is the best possible way to explain it to the next potential hiring manager so the termination would not look bad on me?

Thanks in advance y'all and look forward to opinions, discussions.
Yes, agree with another. Not trying to air all your dirty laundry, but what was the honest reason you were let go/fired? Was it a mass layoff? Didn't get along with your boss? Division sold off? I think the answer to that question matters here.

I would not personally list it on my resume, and would do everything possible to avoid even bringing up the position, which is totally possible to do without lying.

Old 10-04-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Yes, agree with another. Not trying to air all your dirty laundry, but what was the honest reason you were let go/fired? Was it a mass layoff? Didn't get along with your boss? Division sold off? I think the answer to that question matters here.

I would not personally list it on my resume, and would do everything possible to avoid even bringing up the position, which is totally possible to do without lying.
I was the one at fault. Got lax and careless and was caught napping a few times. The termination was swift. My whole goal is trying to determine from any HR professionals here if an employment history search would reveal that I got hired at that company this soon, or do such records surface when W4s are prepared at the end of the year?

Why is this significant?

A) If the records typically don't show up during a search I can just say that I haven't had much luck finding work (which is accepted)

B) If the records do show up during an employment search then I assume my chances of landing a job is significantly less likely. The bad at interviews story won't quite work, and I'm planless as to how to find another job.

*** by the way, the previous position lasted 2 years after which we were all let go in a mass lay off. ***

Old 10-04-2019, 01:05 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,878,006 times
In most private employment situations your history would unlikely be discovered. A basic, traditional background check won't be diving that deep.

That said, it found out either by background check or other means it could be held against you.

Looking at risk/benefit factors, leave it off your resume.

Old 10-04-2019, 01:22 PM

285 posts, read 204,160 times
I wouldn't put it on my resume if that happened. I have left a position after 8 weeks (2 months) but it was voluntary and I submitted my resignation. I never used that position on my resume because the time there was negligible. I also did not want to tarnish my record in association with that company (sorry if this sounds rude - it was not a good situation).

I wouldn't worry so much about being found or searched (I'm a layperson not an updated HR professional in the industry). I would worry more about finding a new job that's not so boring that you take cat naps. It wouldn't be a bad idea to speak to a career counsellor perhaps.

Old 10-04-2019, 03:28 PM

327 posts, read 236,155 times
Quote:
I was the one at fault. Got lax and careless and was caught napping a few times. The termination was swift. My whole goal is trying to determine from any HR professionals here if an employment history search would reveal that I got hired at that company this soon, or do such records surface when W4s are prepared at the end of the year?

Why is this significant?

A) If the records typically don't show up during a search I can just say that I haven't had much luck finding work (which is accepted)

B) If the records do show up during an employment search then I assume my chances of landing a job is significantly less likely. The bad at interviews story won't quite work, and I'm planless as to how to find another job.

*** by the way, the previous position lasted 2 years after which we were all let go in a mass lay off. ***
I am pretty sure you will find another place of employment.

but

you gotta get that napping thing nipped in the bud or you'll find yourself looking again.

Old 10-04-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanside_M View Post
I wouldn't put it on my resume if that happened. I have left a position after 8 weeks (2 months) but it was voluntary and I submitted my resignation. I never used that position on my resume because the time there was negligible. I also did not want to tarnish my record in association with that company (sorry if this sounds rude - it was not a good situation).

I wouldn't worry so much about being found or searched (I'm a layperson not an updated HR professional in the industry). I would worry more about finding a new job that's not so boring that you take cat naps. It wouldn't be a bad idea to speak to a career counsellor perhaps.
Thanks Oceanside. I feel much better knowing someone else has been through the same situation. Actually, the napping thing was triggered by a number of factors, the first of those being that the laptop I was issued was sooo slow it felt time was going backwards. To give you an idea of how slow the computer was, think of whatever the initials to your name are (jso, db, maybe abd, etc). If you try to copy and paste even a 3-letter initial it takes about 3 minutes!!! Of course the natural reaction would be to open a ticket right away and get a different laptop however that took a while to happen because of reason #2.

Reason #2 was that the manager was soooo casual the way he engaged with that particular team. It shocked the default discipline I usually have at work into getting lax and casual as well. So while the slowww laptop literally crippled my productivity I tended to always put off getting a replacement ticket to IT.

So anyways, to give you an idea of how casual the manager was. He would always engage the team members about video game talk. They talked and talked about video games occupying a good amount of time that could (in my opinion) be used making sure operational team issues such as my slow laptop were handled. When the main man was not talking about video games, it was about football and his passionate liking for this, or that team, or this or that star player. The way my workplace mind deciphered that approach was that he was trying to build rapport with the team members. I don't play video games this stage of my life (I'm 38) however, so to participate in the rapport building I would either pretend I was passionate and recall the times in my early 20's when I played my favorite video game. Also, when the football talk started I would make it a point to participate chiming in about this and that player (pretending to be passionate). Sometimes I even told more awesome stories than the boss upstaging his own stories.

Subconsciously I believe what that did was trick my mind into a casual state, and it kind of stayed in that momentum. So now, no laptop leading to poor productivity, plus I did fall asleep (just from only sleeping 2hrs a night). But overall, compared to what expectations he communicated to me not much of that was done. So now, as I was paid the highest salary among the team members, instead of having the leadership posture I was supposed to have (according to him) my demeanor is now like Casual Cody because of all the video game and sports talk.

In my previous job my boss had a generally good balance of business/casual that the business side of things came first. I believe mentioning the slow laptop to him even once will stop any talk about video games, sports, etc in their tracks till that issue was fixed avoiding this problem.

Anyways, I take full responsibility for the termination going forward. The laptop problem I should've shoved up his #$#@ until I was provided with an adequately performing laptop. It would have also taken care of the fatigue/sleeping because whenever I start working I get in a zone which seems to generate natural adrenaline for me at work. Even during the termination session I should've at least begged to stay on as a tactical move. But I saw a letter was already typed up and didn't (what's the point).

It's just a freak occurrence. I've never been let go from full-time employment except in high school when I worked at a pizza place.

Anyways, thank you all for sharing your thoughts. At least I don't have my back against the wall and I'm in the process of seeking another place of employment.

Old 10-04-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDrums View Post
I am pretty sure you will find another place of employment.

but

you gotta get that napping thing nipped in the bud or you'll find yourself looking again.
Nipped! It had a specific cause and effect which is easily eliminated.

Old 10-04-2019, 08:00 PM

285 posts, read 204,160 times
Quote:
Anyways, I take full responsibility for the termination going forward. The laptop problem I should've shoved up his #$#@ until I was provided with an adequately performing laptop. It would have also taken care of the fatigue/sleeping because whenever I start working I get in a zone which seems to generate natural adrenaline for me at work. Even during the termination session I should've at least begged to stay on as a tactical move. But I saw a letter was already typed up and didn't (what's the point).

It's just a freak occurrence. I've never been let go from full-time employment except in high school when I worked at a pizza place.

Anyways, thank you all for sharing your thoughts. At least I don't have my back against the wall and I'm in the process of seeking another place of employment.
Sounds like you learned a few things. I think you might want to tone down the joking or one-upping the boss on his jokes in future or outdoing anyone else in the company before being somewhat established. This is just a hunch but it's more likely than not that your boss didn't like you over a period of time and not fixing the laptop seemed to make things worse and it was a reason to end the probation period/employment. It's usually better to err on the side of caution and remain low key and professional at work. Don't mind what other people are joking about... use some street smarts to gauge what's ok and not ok with your workmates. Keep in mind not everyone might have wanted you there to begin with in that position especially if you're walking into a leadership role of some sort. It's a good idea to go over these things (your role) in the interview and get an idea of the culture of the place early on.

Yes, you should definitely have seen someone about the slow laptop asap. But I'm sure you know that now more than ever so there's no use crying over split milk or beating yourself up about it. What's done is done.

I don't know how small or large your industry is in your town/city but it can't be that hard to find a job in IT where no one knows where you worked last. You're probably feeling very demoralized and shattered about the way things panned out. Let it go and move on, wiser and smarter. Leave this out of the resume. Again, keep it low key, just understand the job in the next opportunity and what's expected of you and keep things professional. Not the end of the world (many of us have had to start over a few times in a new place).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment