Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 08:46 AM

173 posts, read 968,066 times

Advertisements

I network with a gentleman and he told me his main problem is that he lacks a bachelor's degree!
He's in his mid 40's.
He went down the route of after hs, going to college for a year or 2, but then getting a good job, getting married, having kids, yada, yada, yada.
SO he never finished his degree, but he does have several years of experience.
I don't know what to tell him other than to go back to school while he is unemployed.
But then I was thinking about all the other college educated people, who were hired, during "better times", without an "appropriate degree".
Now I do know history and english majors who either got training, certificates or additional courses to supplement their main degrees, but that is usually reflected in their resumes.
I was wondering if anyone else is in this situation?
Or how did you get employment without the specific education?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 08:54 AM

931 posts, read 3,802,758 times
Continue to focus on work experience. Go to school part-time.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:07 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,125,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iarch View Post
I network with a gentleman and he told me his main problem is that he lacks a bachelor's degree!
He's in his mid 40's.
He went down the route of after hs, going to college for a year or 2, but then getting a good job, getting married, having kids, yada, yada, yada.
SO he never finished his degree, but he does have several years of experience..
I was wondering if anyone else is in this situation?
Or how did you get employment without the specific education?

People without education, I would surmise stay at one place and work themselves up!!

As has been pointed out by other posters, this is possible in the call center environment, allegedly, McDonalds, etc...

(personally, I find it hard to believe, hmmmm)

And since he/she is already 40 years old it is probably impossible to start the work your way up plan!

The best thing for him is Yes, go to community college, then a four year college and then a two year masters program!

or

Contact his state or go online or to your cty library and find out his state's apprenticeship programs.

This is easier if he is good at math!!

There are many apprenticeship programs for still have good health people who want to become a skilled person!! And take less than 4 years to actually start making money!!

or if he has a considerable wealth of experience in a field that does not require a degree, then he should just work on sharpening his resume, doing some volunteer or skills training while he is unemployed, be willing to relocate, and keep busy until he finds a job!

good luck!

Old 04-19-2009, 01:48 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,030,832 times
I think it depends on what job he's trying to get.

The thing that confuses me is you say he's in his 40's but has several years of experience. Did he change careers?

Old 04-19-2009, 06:56 PM

8,940 posts, read 20,366,150 times
Oh yes, same as me! No college degree and no "certification" in what I do......Purchasing/Inventory Management. Should have continued in college and got that darn degree, but NO! As far the "certification" goes, even that takes too much money and a TON of studying!
Wife is an Accountant and has two (yes, two) AA degrees and a Bachelor's in Business Accounting along with years of experience. She really has no problem getting a job (a good paying one to), even in this economy. But, at 60 yrs. old, I feel that I'm just too darn old to go back to college for a degree. I've taken a few on-line Internet classes, but most employers don't even care about just "taking classes", they WANT AND REQUIRE the Bachelor's Degree today. But, as annerk says, it can also depend on the career.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:09 PM

173 posts, read 968,066 times
Unfortunately, I think he's gotta ride out this recession.
He's not in IT, where an AA or certificates can get you places.
He's in corporate training, but I thought that would have required a degree.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:14 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,125,989 times
Quote:

Well, unfortunately, a lot of jobs that 10 plus years ago did not require a degree, now do! So you have to go to school at night for continuing education, forsaking family for a couple of years or hope you get to retire before they make you redundant!

Old 04-19-2009, 07:16 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,400,633 times
employment is 85% attitude 15% credentials. think debt free think skills.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,338 times
Whatever field that person has most recently worked in is the job they should pursue do to not having a degree. Most employers are hiring people that already has some experience in the field unless you are a college grad. So I would seek entry level jobs that my skills could be used to acquire unless you can afford not to work and go back to school full-time. Being that you are in your 40's probably not so try the entry level jobs and try to get certify in something or earn a degree when you land a job.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:06 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,770,890 times
Quote:
I know this is a revived old post from 2009 and not much has changed in some ways. During a downturn, corporate trainers get laid off big time. Trainers are often seen as an unnecessary expensive and do not bring in revenue by the average corporate bean counter so their jobs are easily axed. Hopefully by now a few years later, the 40-something year-old guy was creative and figured something out, with or without a college degree. My guess is these days, the average corporate trainer needs at least a bachelor's to get hired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment