U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 09:58 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,518,532 times

Advertisements

Holy crap. There is a guy at my office that whistles as loud as he freakin can. It has no rhythm, it isn't really any song, it is just lound high pitch whistling that echos in my cube. He will stop. However, when he does he switches to a low rumbling hum. He pounds on his desk, and makes as much freakin possible noise as one man can in an office. There are proably 15 people on this side where the cubes are. NOBODY ever says anything. I am getting a headache, and it is no joke. I don't like to listen to my headphones all day long. I don't understand how everybody can tolerate it, but I don't want to be the first to make a big stink about it. I worked in several offices since being an intern in college. NEVER, have I ran across somebody this annoying.

He is the typical engineer. The dorky guy with no social skills, so he probably has no idea how freakin annoying he is.

OK, just had to get this off my chest. Jesus, If I get laid off, I will see it as a positive thing to not have to deal with this torture!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 10:09 AM

4,791 posts, read 13,715,831 times
Saying typical engineers are like that is an insult, because engineers can be cool too...

What type of engineer are you?

Old 05-08-2009, 10:10 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,099,505 times
I'm sure someone will have a better suggestion to end the noise, but in the meantime would you consider a small fan on your desk? It might muffle the noise.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:18 AM

48,508 posts, read 88,633,133 times
Why not tell him that it bothers you. Your waiting for someone else ;why?Who is the dork or mouse here?

Old 05-08-2009, 10:25 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,518,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Saying typical engineers are like that is an insult, because engineers can be cool too...

What type of engineer are you?
60% of engineers have that actual stereotype. 40% are very sociable, and cool. I am an architectural (electrical/lighting systems for buildings)

Why not take the first stance?

I am a mid-level designer and a year in this company. He is a P.E.(professional engineer) that has been here for a long time. I also hold that engineer stereotype that I hate dealing with conflict.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:50 AM

18,609 posts, read 16,573,503 times
Send an anonymous note to HR saying he is creating a difficult work environment.

If that doesn't work go to HR directly and ask for them to either deal with it or give you the tools to deal with it.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:57 AM

6,651 posts, read 7,378,814 times
Type a note that says " shut your piehole or I'm going to throw you off the nearest bridge." That'll do it.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:23 PM

957 posts, read 990,043 times
Leave an anonymous note on his desk, in an envelope for privacy, telling him that he's being extremely annoying and please tone it down. Only then, if he continues, go to HR or whoever.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:30 PM

2,365 posts, read 10,646,660 times
I like the suggestion of an anonymous note to H.R.
If that doesn't work, then you will have to tell him and hope he doesn't "thump up the volume" just to be canterkerous to his unknown critique!!

oh boy hilarious, if everyone, not just you, is chicken too!! ;-))

Old 05-08-2009, 03:26 PM

496 posts, read 866,437 times
I worked with a guy who smacked on his gum loudly. He would put his headphones on and get especially loud with the smack smack. I kinda didn't want to say anything but I did have a few impulses to pick up something on my desk - a stapler, mouse, book, whatever - and fling it at him.

However, I ended up bringing it up by asking him if he wanted a piece of gum and then saying, "Oh, gosh, can you hear me smacking on my gum over here? That would be really annoying. Please let me know if you ever do..." It didn't work, though. But mainly because he had his headphones on, I believe.

In this case, I'd probably just make some loud, irrelevant, tone-debilitating humming sounds and then when you clearly got his attention and he was staring at you, smile and say, "Oh... did that bother you?" and launch into a joke about it to make it obvious you were teasing him for distracting you. I think you can say justaboutanything if you're comfortable saying it. 99% of the time it only gets tense when you get tense, so handle it in some way that you're comfortable handling it. It's nice if those methods are healthy - like addressing it with him and no one else, IMO, would be *healthy* - but if they're not, that's just you and you have to deal with *you* above all else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment