Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 03:52 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,852,279 times

Advertisements

Try Walgreens. The only complaints I here about them are the weekly plan-o-gram changes (mgmt is required to do them and not the workers).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 06:09 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,817,361 times
Target and Whole Foods come to mind.

Why are you only into chains? [Just wondering]

A local business may be hiring for a manager and they may offer better pay, better atmosphere, better benefits, etc.

Just a suggestion.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:10 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,481,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Target and Whole Foods come to mind.

Why are you only into chains? [Just wondering]

A local business may be hiring for a manager and they may offer better pay, better atmosphere, better benefits, etc.

Just a suggestion.
moveability. and the bigger companies will have training programs.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:06 PM

355 posts, read 2,405,830 times
I ditto Target. I just worked there part-time as a cashier for a 2nd job, but it's a great 2nd job. And a reputable company to work for.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:39 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,742,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I wouldn't enjoy working in an office, unless I worked alone, with no other contact.
Yea then we could spend that alone time gabbing on Citydata with no one to hassle us !

Old 05-21-2009, 07:45 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,742,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Try Walgreens. The only complaints I here about them are the weekly plan-o-gram changes (mgmt is required to do them and not the workers).
EEKS!!!
My other half is serving a life sentence with them. I think about 16 years now. Pay sucks but bennys are a bit better then average. They do match dollar for dollar in your 401K which is unheard of these days. That adds up real fast. 15 to 20% employee discount. First choice of clearence items which is usually 10 cents per item, even for $5 + items. We travel and live full time RVing so she just transfers at will and they never hassled her on that. I never heard of a plan-o-gram but I never ask either.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:11 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,817,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
moveability. and the bigger companies will have training programs.
I figured the ability to move around was a factor.

Costco?
We don't have any here in AR but I hear they treat their employees much better than Sam's Club and Wal-Mart.

Quote:
Costco vs. Wal-Mart
Comparing some workplace statistics, as reported by the companies.

Employees covered by company health insurance
Costco 82%
Wal-Mart 48%

Insurance-enrollment waiting periods (for part-time workers)
Costco 6 months
Wal-Mart 2 years

Portion of health-care premium paid by company
Costco 92%
Wal-Mart 66%

Annual worker turnover rate
Costco 24%
Wal-Mart 50%

Worker pay, benefits and job quality have been hot topics in the retail industry. While employees in many fields are worried about generally stagnant job growth and spiraling health-care costs, already-meager retail wages also are threatened by retail-pricing pressure, partly fueled by Wal-Mart's growing dominance in toys, electronics, groceries and other categories. Grocery workers in California recently waged a brutal four-month strike (http://reclaimdemocracy.org/articles_2004/supermarket_union_failure_california.html - broken link) to protest health-care cuts that large supermarket chains were imposing to stay competitive with Wal-Mart.
http://reclaimdemocracy.org/articles...s_walmart.html

Old 05-21-2009, 11:03 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,167,053 times
Retail jobs are for

highschool dropouts
people with highschool diplomas
teenagers
college students during the summer

That's about it

Old 05-22-2009, 04:47 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,103,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Retail jobs are for

highschool dropouts
teenagers

That's about it
You are wrong. If you are thinking of retail as the guy who stocks the shelves, or the person at the register, yes, those jobs have low entry requirements.

Managers of retail stores need to know not only a great deal about their product, but accounting and finance as well. Most will have college degrees, and depending upon their store size, position and industry, will make a reasonable wage.

Some companies are know for working managers to death. Others are quite good.

A manager of a big box store will make a very good living, well above median income for the area.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:36 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,179,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Retail jobs are for

highschool dropouts
teenagers

That's about it
That is one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever heard from you--and that's saying something.

I know several people(without collsge degrees I might add) in retail who make over $100K a year--and they are not management. That's a number you won't hit in your lifetime, even with your college degree. So until you know the FACTS, you really need to put a sock in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment