Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 09:38 AM

16,080 posts, read 21,189,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
One of the down sides to retail?

Being open today.
I think this is the biggest downfall in retail. Holidays turn into just another workday, and for management it usually adds stress because of scheduling problems, excess inventory crowding the stockrooms, more irritable & difficult customers, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Try Walgreens. The only complaints I here about them are the weekly plan-o-gram changes (mgmt is required to do them and not the workers).
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
EEKS!!!
My other half is serving a life sentence with them. I think about 16 years now. Pay sucks but bennys are a bit better then average. They do match dollar for dollar in your 401K which is unheard of these days. That adds up real fast. 15 to 20% employee discount. First choice of clearence items which is usually 10 cents per item, even for $5 + items. We travel and live full time RVing so she just transfers at will and they never hassled her on that. I never heard of a plan-o-gram but I never ask either.
Must be dependant on local practices, these things are not company wide.
Great benefits as pointed out though, well worth checking out. And depending on what store you manage, salary and bonus suck, or not. I know of some managers with a very nice lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 09:52 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,192,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I think this is the biggest downfall in retail. Holidays turn into just another workday, and for management it usually adds stress because of scheduling problems, excess inventory crowding the stockrooms, more irritable & difficult customers, etc.
Unique story:

Today we're open, but management extended an invitation to anyone who was interested to board a company shuttle (at 5:45 am) and meet the troops when they arrive at DFW airport.

(We're an auto dealership, btw)

That's great, but we here in parts and service have a business to run. The accounting and sales departments can get by, but are we genuinely being asked or is it a faux gesture? They'd come unglued if we took them up on it.

Just shows how out-of-touch the white collars can be, imo.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:31 AM

8,056 posts, read 10,653,334 times
Add to the list of who works retail:

Single mothers who got stuck in it due to unforseen circumstances, and haven't been able to get out!

Retailers used to treat employees decently, even if the pay was low, the work was not overly demanding. Now they want rocket science and your life for pitiful little amount of pay.

I am a department manager with a major retailer that I used to actually ENJOY working for. As management has changed and greed has stepped in, they've stripped us of most of our benefits, and ask more and more of people to whom they are paying VERY little money. We managers are expected to do more and more as we are not given hours to hire decent employees under us - (we get mostly kids that call out every weekend, holiday, etc.)

I am trying DESPERATELY to get out with my sanity, and am getting ready to back to school to learn skills to do office work - but someone on here said that's even worse than retail! EEEK! What to do!?

Old 05-25-2009, 12:47 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,692,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
One of the down sides to retail?

Being open today.
Man, that reminds me, they're hosting a cookout at work, and I've already slept half the day away.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:49 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,798,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
Add to the list of who works retail:

Single mothers who got stuck in it due to unforseen circumstances, and haven't been able to get out!

Retailers used to treat employees decently, even if the pay was low, the work was not overly demanding. Now they want rocket science and your life for pitiful little amount of pay.

I am a department manager with a major retailer that I used to actually ENJOY working for. As management has changed and greed has stepped in, they've stripped us of most of our benefits, and ask more and more of people to whom they are paying VERY little money. We managers are expected to do more and more as we are not given hours to hire decent employees under us - (we get mostly kids that call out every weekend, holiday, etc.)

I am trying DESPERATELY to get out with my sanity, and am getting ready to back to school to learn skills to do office work - but someone on here said that's even worse than retail! EEEK! What to do!?
Office work such as...?
Administrative assistant?

I personally have considered the job. The money is actually pretty good considering all you do, it all just depends on where you get hired and what the working conditions are.

Some places treat their administrative assistants like royalty and others just see you as just a number.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:43 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,469,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Office work such as...?
Administrative assistant?

I personally have considered the job. The money is actually pretty good considering all you do, it all just depends on where you get hired and what the working conditions are.

Some places treat their administrative assistants like royalty and others just see you as just a number.
and then there was my friend that worked for a guy that liked to make her cry. money was just to good for her to go anywhere else...

Old 05-26-2009, 01:56 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,085,653 times
Office work can be good or bad depending. The good point is most are closed normal holidays and weekends (except if you work in hospitality like here in Vermont where you WORK so others can PLAY).

The bad part about office work is the average administrative assistant has to wear several hats and do a lot of mindless busy work, often cater to some clueless man (sorry but it is true) or men who are the bosses and can't even choose their own clothes in the morning. (wifey does it).

They just want the report done yesterday, the copying done right now and meanwhile the phone is ringing and you have snarky customers who need help on the phone...

Each job has its stresses.

Retail sucks because the turnover is so great, you stand on your feet fixing the same darn rack 6 hours a day. Also, they want you to do nights and weekends and for me, that is not an option (I have to be home with my child at night).

Old 05-26-2009, 02:45 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,242,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Office work can be good or bad depending. The good point is most are closed normal holidays and weekends (except if you work in hospitality like here in Vermont where you WORK so others can PLAY).

The bad part about office work is the average administrative assistant has to wear several hats and do a lot of mindless busy work, often cater to some clueless man (sorry but it is true) or men who are the bosses and can't even choose their own clothes in the morning. (wifey does it).

They just want the report done yesterday, the copying done right now and meanwhile the phone is ringing and you have snarky customers who need help on the phone...

Each job has its stresses.

Retail sucks because the turnover is so great, you stand on your feet fixing the same darn rack 6 hours a day. Also, they want you to do nights and weekends and for me, that is not an option (I have to be home with my child at night).

to me office work vs. retail work is like 1-3 idiots vs. an untold number of idiots. at least when it's only a few idiots you can get used to them.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:26 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,529,373 times
I worked at Walgreen's right out of college and it was crappy.

Con:

-Working nights/weekends/holidays
-Your co-workers are minimum wage employees
-Manual labor
-Having to deal with customers. The ones you have to deal with are the worst people.
-Future advancement. You can move up in the company but good luck if you try and leave as you'll likely have to start all over again.
-Your office is a retail store.

Pro:
The golf course is empty when you have Tuesday off.

When I took a job there the pay and bonus was pretty high. WAG has been cutting all of that recently and will likely lose the college grads that they seek because of it. The only pull they had was to talk up the money which doesn't exist now.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:57 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,085,653 times
Funny thing is 90% of the people I meet who work in retail are surly themselves. I know the job sucks and the pay is not great but why take it out on nice customers?

One guy at the supermarket deli actually huffs and puffs and glares if you ask him for more than 2 items. He constantly cuts over the limit of meat or cheese I ask for (I usually only get quarter of a lb of meat). The guy cuts off 3/4 all the time and gets ANGRY if I tell him, sorry, I said 1/4...

Another person works at 'ye olde country store' and she is surly. She never says anything to either my husband or me if we stop for the paper. Not a word.

Yesterday we went to a convenience store and the guy was another disgruntled young adult (all these people are probably 18-21 years old). He was more interested chatting with his 'dude' at the other counter than focusing on his customers.

Well, you know what, right now I would LOVE a job even a crappy one...so, even if you are in a retail job, you should be glad you have a paycheck coming in. I don't say 'stay in your role' forever, but be glad right now with so many scraping for jobs that you get your $200 a week. It may not be a lot but it's a job.

I think they need to get rid of people AT ALL JOBS with the attitudes. Then maybe some of us who are professionals and know how to speak to people nicely can get jobs again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment