Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 12:45 PM

173 posts, read 968,282 times

Advertisements

Got Work? - ABC News
I honestly thought the figures were higher, how sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 02:41 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,211,396 times
Read carefully - this is jobs at the time of graduation. This statistic has always been fairly low (regardless of year). Look at how many have jobs by the end of 2009 and it will be what we all expect it to be.

Shame on ABC for publishing a statistic like that with such a misleading title.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:54 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,125,726 times
It took me 7 months to find a job in 2003 when I graduated. Companies aren't hiring people with experience. Why would they hire somebody w/o experience?

Old 07-13-2009, 06:47 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,042,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Read carefully - this is jobs at the time of graduation. This statistic has always been fairly low (regardless of year). Look at how many have jobs by the end of 2009 and it will be what we all expect it to be.

That's what the media does, nothing new

Old 07-13-2009, 07:45 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,850,937 times
I agree, a lot of college grads don't start their jobs till sometime during the summer [like July] or later.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:40 PM

23 posts, read 62,625 times
It doesn't matter when you start your job. When you graduate you fill out an exit survey and you tell them whether or not you have a job and optionally how much you are making. That's where these statistics usually come from.

I graduated in 08, and luckily got a job a week before I walked. If you read the article the job rate out of school was ~25% for my class, and ~50% in 07. It's atrocious, and I know several friends who went to the same school as me (RIT), have very good grades and some decent internships under their belt (a lot of majors require co-ops to graduate), and still can't find work. It's true the 6 month after school rate will go up, but it's still going to be really bad. There's a massive glut of workers competing for jobs that my class didn't have to compete with nearly as much: people who didn't get jobs from last years class, laid off workers, people re-entering the workforce due to budget concerns, and people putting off retirement.

(Edit) Extra Note: For those of you saying this is misleading, this is a pretty standard statistic to look at. If you want to get a feel for how things have changed, look at the year to year changes in it like how I mentioned above. Dropping from 50% to 20% in 2 years is bad no matter how you look at it.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kungfulkoder View Post
It doesn't matter when you start your job. When you graduate you fill out an exit survey and you tell them whether or not you have a job and optionally how much you are making. That's where these statistics usually come from.

I graduated in 08, and luckily got a job a week before I walked. If you read the article the job rate out of school was ~25% for my class, and ~50% in 07. It's atrocious, and I know several friends who went to the same school as me (RIT), have very good grades and some decent internships under their belt (a lot of majors require co-ops to graduate), and still can't find work. It's true the 6 month after school rate will go up, but it's still going to be really bad. There's a massive glut of workers competing for jobs that my class didn't have to compete with nearly as much: people who didn't get jobs from last years class, laid off workers, people re-entering the workforce due to budget concerns, and people putting off retirement.

(Edit) Extra Note: For those of you saying this is misleading, this is a pretty standard statistic to look at. If you want to get a feel for how things have changed, look at the year to year changes in it like how I mentioned above. Dropping from 50% to 20% in 2 years is bad no matter how you look at it.
It is misleading because the article was not clear what the statistic represented. I find that 20% number very hard to believe. I graduated in '08 and the majority of my friends had jobs within 6 months. Last year 94% of grads from my college (small liberal arts school) had jobs within 6 months of graduation. I know one school is not a great indicator of national trends, but my point is there are still many schools out there with great career services departments.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:25 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
are you sayng that that for a 4 year degree 80% got ripped off on the student loan? no job?
not to mention the 50% that flunked out and still had to pay the loan?
people go to college so they can get a job right? sounds like rip off to me.
i am for jr college or military VE, my favorit is RN
debt free education

Old 07-13-2009, 11:35 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,586,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post

six months after graduation would be a more meaningful time to take a measurement, granted. but even so...

Quote:
In comparison, 51 percent of those graduating in 2007 and 26 percent of those graduating in 2008 who had applied for a job had one in hand by the time of graduation.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
are you sayng that that for a 4 year degree 80% got ripped off on the student loan? no job?
not to mention the 50% that flunked out and still had to pay the loan?
people go to college so they can get a job right? sounds like rip off to me.
i am for jr college or military VE, my favorit is RN
debt free education
Hopefully learning and personal growth factor into why people go to college more than a job. If you want school purely to get a job, find a trade school. The point of college is education, not job preperation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment