Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 07:25 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,047,731 times

Advertisements

I am either invisible or in some alternative world where when I interview some 'other better candidate' comes along and I do not get offered the job. I was actually told this last week after one interview.

Recently I had 2 job interviews in schools for jobs below my education but I was perfectly willing to do them to get into a district and to gain experience so I can pursue certification in this state.

Well, I did not get either job. It is very disheartening. At the last one, I was well dressed and had 'a recommendation.' The woman who interviewed after me was in jeans and a T-shirt...I was like 'what the hell??'

Is dumbing down a resume the only way to be hired now? Or acting a bit stupid and dressing 'poorly?' I have brought my "A game" to every interview and can't get even a part time job.

I have experience and education, a nice personality, a sense of humor...and so on. I send thank yous, ask questions, answer thoughtfully and sincerely..

So....what to do?? I am out of answers and ready to move from here or just give up (can't afford to...but still, I feel like it.) I have NEVER had so much trouble finding a job. I am starting to think it's the area AND the economy...(we are considering moving again).

I appreciate all thoughtful answers, not stupid comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 07:36 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,300,947 times
I refuse to act a certain way or act dumb during an interview just to get a job. I think a lot of employers are afraid of hiring someone who is educated, smart or intelligent because they know that such people mostly likely will not put up with the typical company BS. I think, often, they would rather hire more of an ass kisser "Yes man" type of person than the most qualified candidate for the position.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:47 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,429,828 times
Dang, Gypsy. I've been following your story and so wanted you to get one of the jobs in the schools. I'm so bummed for you not to get one of those.

I am an educated person who has taken jobs below my skill and education level in the past and I learned the hard way that when I do that, I need to dress way down for the interview or else I didn't appear to fit in. I got one job wearing jeans, t-shirt and tennis shoes after striking out at a bunch wearing a suit. The work place has gotten so casual and I don't think you want to look too ambitious when you are seeking underemployment. Schools especially seem to have developed their own dress code involving mom jeans, khaki's, sensible flat shoes, jumpers, sweatshirts with decals, and polo shirts.

I know others on here advocate always wearing a suit and the theory you can never overdress for an interview, but I have not found that to be true when seeking a lower paying job.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:55 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,955,101 times
Gypsy, with all seriousness and due respect, and no snarkiness intended at all, are you "sure" it's not "you?"

I'm not implying anything, I don't know you, but could it be possible that something you are doing or saying is rubbing people the wrong way? Could it be that what you think is suitable attire isn't to others? Or you have a nervous habit that you don't even realize that you have?

I'd go to a neutral person who doesn't know you all that well--a minister might be a good option--and ask them to perform a mock interview with you, and give you very honest critical feedback.

It could just be that there were more qualified candidates, but you really need to rule out the possibility that you are somehow undermining yourself with a trait or behavior that you don't realize you have.

I'll give you an example of something I encountered in an early interview here in Florida. Fortunately the hiring manager passed on honest feedback to teh recruiter who passed it on to me. I dressed too "New York" and my accent was too "New Yawka" for them. OK, I knew the accent was something I needed to work on, but the clothes? So I took a look around, and sure enough what I was wearing and my makeup was "New York-centric." I can't even describe what I mean, it's one of those things that you know it when you see it. So I changed a few things, including the make up, and never got that feedback again. I thought I looked great--and for a NYC job I did. But here, not so much apparantly. My point is, if I hadn't gotten that feedback I wouldn't have known.

Just a thought. Good luck!

Old 06-26-2009, 07:56 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,047,731 times
Thanks FarNorthDallas! I have to say, the only job I have had here, (office job) I wore a sweater and pants and shoes. I was at the "screw it" stage and purposely dressed down...!

So maybe I better get some casual clothes for any more interviews...I am damned if I know what to do here after 2 years...

Old 06-26-2009, 08:00 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,368,445 times
I'm sorry it may just be difficult to get a job in your field. At my workplace two qualified people were turned away for a job and a friend of a "higher up" at the company without the "required" skills or experience was hired at 6 figure salary. It may not be you. Maybe someone pulled strings to get their "cousin," "brother," or "friend" the job that you interviewed for and HR didn't have a choice.

Just keep trying.

My biggest tip is not to talk too much and keep the interviewer talking. Good Luck Gypsy

Old 06-26-2009, 08:08 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,928,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Gypsy, with all seriousness and due respect, and no snarkiness intended at all, are you "sure" it's not "you?"
I was going to ask the same thing. Have you had any TRUE feedback from the people interviewing you other than canned answers (someone better, not right fight...blah blah blah)? Have you ever been mock interviewed? Have you ever recorded yourself being interviewed and reviewed it?

Most people who think they are nailing it out of the park when interviewing aren't. No offense, but you are not the best judge of you when it comes to interviewing and I don't mean you personally...it goes for anyone.

I don't know a thing about you but I do know this. There are a lot of people not working which means more competition and the need for you to step up your game. Employers market means they will look for ANYTHING to turn you down. Get a couple of other opinions from people who can be biased. Do a mock interview) some states unemployment offices will do them for free. Good luck!

Old 06-26-2009, 08:17 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,988,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
I was going to ask the same thing. Have you had any TRUE feedback from the people interviewing you other than canned answers (someone better, not right fight...blah blah blah)? Have you ever been mock interviewed? Have you ever recorded yourself being interviewed and reviewed it?

Most people who think they are nailing it out of the park when interviewing aren't. No offense, but you are not the best judge of you when it comes to
I second this statement because I witnessed this happen. I recently sat in on an interview and I'm sure this girl thought she had just wowed the heck out of us with her responses and so on. You could see it on her face and her body language.

After we thanked her and she left half of us had WTF looks on our faces and the other half were digging for our aspirin bottles.

As for my own interviews for jobs I am fortunate to have friends that can be brutally critical if I ask. They help me get squared away and in a good mindset.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:23 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,694,573 times
I'm going to play armchair psychologist for a minute. You have chronicled your saga on here so we have some sense of your situation, and a huge factor is that you are a recent transplant to a rural area in a high unemployment era. All three of those factors are having a huge impact on your ability to find a job, likely more so than any personal factor, like your education, attire, etc.

Understandably, you are highly frustrated at the very least. For the sake of your emotional well-being, I hope you are able to frame your thinking in a way that avoids blaming yourself. For example, think about why you are living where you are - you have stated it is a good school district for your son, and your husband has a good job. You made a choice to live there because of the positives; unfortunately those positives come with the negative of a tight job market. You have made a conscious decision for the positives of where you live - remember to focus on that aspect of your situation. It isn't going to help you find a job, but remembering why you are in this situation can help you accept the negatives. There is certainly a nobility in sacrificing your own career and needs to make sure you are providing the best you can for your family.

In the meantime, I don't know if these folks exist in Vermont but they do in Pennsylvania - special education advocates. These are folks who will work with parents and families to ensure quality services form their school-aged children with special needs. You seem like a good fit for this type of work - at best it's part-time, but it's a start and it would tap into your strengths. In PA, I believe the state provides training.

Take this for what it's worth. I'm not a therapist (though I play one on C-D). Good luck.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:27 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,350,915 times
I hear yah Gypsy...at least you are getting interviews! I haven't even had one for 6 months!

I have "dumbed-down" my resume some and completly re-done my resume to see if that helps. I do wear a pants suit for interviews (when I get them) however, here in GA it's been blistering hot so I'm sure some will wear slacks and a nice blouse so they don't melt.

I do wish you the best of luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment