Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2009, 07:37 PM

2 posts, read 4,897 times

Advertisements

I just got out of a VERY serious relationship (I sacrificed, compromised etc- the ex did as little as possible)
He moved from we lived here, to another state last year for a job- got let go from THAT job earlier this year. He is trying to look for another job HERE & there. He just ended it with me a month ago- after 6 years. We still talk because I do not want this ending (may be for the better I am thinking though!)
My question is this:
I got a letter (addressed to him- he uses MY address so it appears he is local- BY THE TIME I WOULD SEND IT TO HIM, THEN FOR HIM TO SEND IT TO THE COMPANY, IT WOULD BE TOO LATE- there is only a 5 day period in which to send it (the app) back- I am ALSO POA so OPENING his mail IS NOT THE ISSUE here- just to cut off THAT sticking point)
Again, he gets this letter from a place he was looking to get a job at. They are interested in another interview.
He has said EVERY DAY since I have known him! how much he cannot STAND this state, our weather, the people, the social climate, the employers etc etc.
I am thinking of NOT returning this letter (on his behalf) because HE WILL NOT BE HAPPY HERE! He has told me that....
I know A JOB- IS A JOB.. but you have not had to listen to him complaining every time he opens his mouth-job will satisify ONE issue he is dealing with, but can't cure ALL of his malcontent!
Plus he wants ME out of his life- so like he says "why come back?" My initial thought is NOT to send it because I feel I am doing him a favor. Plus he has said he will be happier there anyways, and the job market is better,people are friendlier....he has said this BEFORE he ended it with me too.
May be moved to the RELATIONSHIP forum, but you people know what it's like to not have a job so feedback is welcomed!
Thanks

Last edited by WhatAbout...; 07-13-2009 at 07:53 PM.. Reason: CLARIFICATION SHEESH!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 07:42 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,500,026 times
It's his mail, forward it to him and let him decide what to do. You're not a couple, don't make decisions for him. If he wants the job, he'll take it, if not he won't. You don't have a dog in the fight.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:03 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Just because you have POA, you don't have a conservatorship. You do'nt have the right to make that decision for him, and knowingly not forwarding his mail could be considered malice. Take the high road and send it. If he ends up miserable, it's really not your problem.

BTW--On a personal note, he ended it, and it's a 99.99999% sure bet that the only reason he's keeping in contact still is the need for a "local address."

The sooner you move on, the better you'll be.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:33 PM

34 posts, read 115,975 times
I would just forward the letter and let him make his own decisions from there. If the relationship is definitely over then I would consider moving on. If you feel like helping him with the local address then follow your heart and do so, but I wouldn't be expecting too much because he might just be using you just for that service.

Personally, I think relationships are weaker when you are too nice. Challenge him, act like you don't care (even if you love him bad)...limit communication, and then watch him chase you!!

Old 07-14-2009, 12:11 PM

145 posts, read 609,805 times
I would send it back. He is a big boy and can make the decision. Also tell him not to use your address anymore.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:21 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,433,487 times
It's time to detangle yourself from him. So, when it comes to those leftover connections, cut them off. That is, after you send that letter to him.

I could see this situation occurring (sort of) if you are still friends despite the breakup. But he doesn't sound like a good friend, just a complaining user.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:22 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,382,917 times
I would forward the letter to him along with a warning that any future mail will be "returned to sender - wrong address".

Old 07-14-2009, 02:29 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
I would mark-------"return to sender"----and put it in the mailbox since no one lives there by that name !

Old 07-14-2009, 02:50 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
I wouldn't advise you send the letter on FOR him/on his behalf to the company. Tell him you received the letter and then you could probably 'fax it to him if he's interested in the position so he can contact them himself. At the same time tell him nicely that he will have to change his address as you won't be accepting any more mail on his behalf. Good luck.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:16 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
Write "Return to Sender - Not at this Address" on the envelope and drop it in the mailbox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment