Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 04:43 PM
TZ7 TZ7 started this thread

45 posts, read 69,427 times

Advertisements

No, Master's degrees are not free. They cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 05:02 PM

399 posts, read 570,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TZ7 View Post
No, Master's degrees are not free. They cost.
Yes, they cost someone, just not the student. When you get to that level of education, provided you can achieve the grades to figure it out, you'll see. The Bachelor's degree you hope to get one day would be free, too. But you're probably going to overpay for it at that online school because those are the schools that see you coming.

But at 40 years old with the majority of the world jealous of your unemployed behind, did you really want to continue this? Didn't you embarrass yourself enough in the other thread?

Old 10-12-2014, 05:14 PM

I'm not embarrassed. I think there may be more opportunities in your area than mine. There are no real good job opportunities in my area like there use to be. It's a "Right to Work" state. This also means that the employer can get rid of a person for any reason and make up anything so they won't have to pay the benefits. I went through it twice. Employers are very picky in who they hire and will hire someone cheaper that will accomplish what they are wanting in order to make a profit. But, it's all a money world, I suppose. But, I really do want to work. I just get so frustrated. I don't even ask anyone for help if that tells you anything. I pay my way. The structure in my state isn't that good either. I might have to find a job further out, which can be costly along with rent, of course.

Old 10-12-2014, 05:47 PM

I don't have any children, so I don't get help from Uncle Sam, so I need not be criticized. I'm independent-minded.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:14 PM

659 posts, read 943,409 times
Move to where the economy is healthier. Don't have money saved for the move? Go to Craigslist or Indeed or Career Builder or even your local company's websites and apply to any job that's been posted in the past 24~48 hours.

You have to be fast and snatch the job right up. Once you do, save save SAVE. And then move to a healthier economy xD

Old 10-12-2014, 06:27 PM

Thank you. I'll keep trying. Yeah, I have been on the online Career Fair from a site and most of the jobs anyway were in another state and not so much in mine. Of course, I knew it would be that way and it was definitely a waste of time. I do get on Indeed and Career Builder and do apply, but there is so much competition and I try to make my resume look sharp. The obstacle I do have, however, is having the right type of experience to match the skills they are looking for.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:42 PM

399 posts, read 570,203 times
Note to OP: 49 of the 50 states and the District of Columbia "At will employers," that's what you meant, not right to work. That's a different concept all together and yes, they can fire you for everything and anything, as they should.

And ummm I live in the middle of the country. Rural Georgia. More than 100 miles from a good large city. Needless to say, the market here SUCKS. I moved here from a very LARGE metropolitan area. Perhaps you've heard of it, it's called Los Angeles. I know how hard it can be to find a job. I also know that everyone isn't jealous of me and I've not been fired from job after job because i'm "not a good fit." The other thread said it correctly, that's code for you're either obnoxious or otherwise hard to get along with and who in their right mind would want that in their company?

Change your attitude, you'll change your job prospects.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:53 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,569,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TZ7 View Post
I'm not embarrassed. I think there may be more opportunities in your area than mine. There are no real good job opportunities in my area like there use to be. It's a "Right to Work" state. This also means that the employer can get rid of a person for any reason and make up anything so they won't have to pay the benefits. I went through it twice. Employers are very picky in who they hire and will hire someone cheaper that will accomplish what they are wanting in order to make a profit. But, it's all a money world, I suppose. But, I really do want to work. I just get so frustrated. I don't even ask anyone for help if that tells you anything. I pay my way. The structure in my state isn't that good either. I might have to find a job further out, which can be costly along with rent, of course.
It's been my experience that when a person is repeatedly fired from various jobs, that the real problem isn't the employer. Instead, it is the employee.

You keep getting fired? Take a look at yourself.

Next time you find a job, try this:

1. For your entire probation period, show up on time, every day.
2. Do all of your work completely and on time.
3. Be cordial to our co-workers but don't get too involved. Don't get caught up in office gossip or politics.
4. Bosses are people like everyone else. They are not perfect. Give up any expectation of perfections and just do what the boss says.

Remember, you are there for the money and nothing else.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:57 PM

dmk31088, you got me all wrong. It had nothing to do with my attitude. I tried to learn the job and go by all the rules and procedures and always tried to get along with my co-workers. I am all about rules and procedures and I'm a very reasonable person and I should be frustrated about it. I don't live in Los Angeles and have never been there in my life. I live in an area where I'm sure there aren't as many opportunites as there probably is in Los Angeles. You'd have to be in my shoes before you could fully understand. Also, when I said something about everyone being jealous of me, I didn't really mean it. I said it out of frustration on here as far as the meanness and the noncompassion that I'm getting on here along with criticism, not only from you, but others as well. Of course, there are some that I know understand where I'm coming from. But, yes, you are right, the job market is really rough right now. I believe what you say as far as where you live, too.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:03 PM

22,725 posts, read 47,958,354 times
Sounds like you need to move! Seriously, from everything you said, that would be your best option.
No spouse, no kids, no job, lousy opportunities - there really is nothing screaming that you have to stay where you are.

And once you find that job, do as charlygal spelled out in her post!
Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment