Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2013, 12:12 PM

436 posts, read 1,526,302 times

Advertisements

This is sort of a two part question post.

Years ago I was taught that you should send a thank you card after an interview. I have never personally done it nor do I know anyone who has. I had an interview today and I think it went well. She seemed really interested in me and she was very friendly, not stuffy and serious like interviewers usually are.

The problem is that the job I want requires me to have certain credentials which I don't have. To get those credentials I would need to take two classes, which I told her I was more than willing to do. Once I got home and researched it some more I realized that I already have one of the two required courses. That course was never brought up so I don't think she realizes that I had taken it.

So here are my questions:1) Should I send a thank you note for the interview or does that make someone look desperate? 2) Should I send her a thank you email and include the part about the course that I already took or does that make me look desperate too?

I'm not sure what to do here. I got a really good vibe from the business and I really want the position but I don't know if they would be willing to wait for me to complete a course.

Advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 12:22 PM

23,698 posts, read 24,255,973 times
I would send a thank you email and say "please let me know if you have any questions about my qualifications".

Old 07-01-2013, 12:26 PM

103 posts, read 296,435 times
I always send a thank you note. It's just good manners. Then again, everywhere I'm interviewing is in the south. As an interviewer, I've not thought about it one way or the other. If I get one, I'll pause and think "that's nice". But I don't sit around fuming and thinking the interviewee is a terrible person if I don't get one.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:36 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,712,113 times
You send a thank you email and you can mention that you already have taken one of the courses. It doesn't make you look desperate, it is a follow up to the conversation you had about the courses.

Telling her you have already completed one and just need one more might help sway her in your favor.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:58 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,706,070 times
what seain said. in general, it's best to think of these things as follow-ups more than thank yous (although you should thank people for their time in them as well). i always send e-mails, because they're faster, although i've had friends who've gotten positive remarks about their handwritten notes.

i don't think thank you notes are mandatory for most employers, but a well-written, thoughtful one that adds useful information and/or demonstrates that you took in and thought about what you learned in the interview could be a tiebreaker if it's close between you and another candidate.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:26 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,167,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamom1 View Post
This is sort of a two part question post.

Years ago I was taught that you should send a thank you card after an interview. I have never personally done it nor do I know anyone who has. I had an interview today and I think it went well. She seemed really interested in me and she was very friendly, not stuffy and serious like interviewers usually are.

The problem is that the job I want requires me to have certain credentials which I don't have. To get those credentials I would need to take two classes, which I told her I was more than willing to do. Once I got home and researched it some more I realized that I already have one of the two required courses. That course was never brought up so I don't think she realizes that I had taken it.

So here are my questions:1) Should I send a thank you note for the interview or does that make someone look desperate? 2) Should I send her a thank you email and include the part about the course that I already took or does that make me look desperate too?

I'm not sure what to do here. I got a really good vibe from the business and I really want the position but I don't know if they would be willing to wait for me to complete a course.

Advice?

Yeah it doesn't hurt to send one but don't think it's a deciding factor in whether or not you will be hired.

Good Luck

Old 07-02-2013, 12:05 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,706,070 times
wow, an applicant for a job at my work just sent ME a thank you note (via e-mail). for walking her from hr to the office where she was interviewed. that's thorough!

i did mention it to my boss (who also got one, of course) but i don't think it's going to make one bit of difference. i get the feeling my boss liked her anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment