Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2009, 12:46 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,819,102 times

Advertisements

I have been looking for entry level marketing positions and sales positions for two years since I have graduated with my Marketing degree (bachelors)...I never get interviews for marketing jobs, but get some for sales jobs, and never get asked to come back for a second interview. Some people say it is because I am too laid back and dont have an exteremely energetic personality is the reason for me not being able to get hired in these fields. I really do have to try hard to project enthusiasm in interviews because I am such a laid back person..I cant help it. I always thought it is supposed to be easy to get a sales job since most people dont wanna do sales because they think it is too hard. I really want to get into marketing and figure most marketers start out in sales so i have mostly been looking at sales/account manager jobs.

After two years of searching for marketing/sales jobs I am ready to give up. I have tried to network through facebook (have even gotten a couple interviews this way), but it really has not been working for me...I have asked around to other family and friends and they really dont know anyone. Most interviews I go to, I think I get disqualified because they always ask why I cant get a job after being out of school for two years....I really dont know how to answer that than to blame the economy but employers dont understand...I dont know what to do. Using online job boards dont work for most people and I hear alot of those positions that are posted are already filled and that some companies just post positions to collect resumes. No one wants to hire me cause all of my experience is in retail...I have even tried to discuss things i have done in course projects but employers want someone with "real world" experience. Every job posting requires experience so I dont even apply to 70% of jobs i see because in this economy, employers will always find someone more qualified.

I have also tried looking at "foot in the door" type of jobs....like admin ,customer service, etc....but I cant get interviews for those. I really dont wanna be stuck in retail forever. I have thought about using my degree to get into teaching but based on the things I have read on this board most people cant even get jobs in that field either and end up subbing for a while (which I am thinking of doing to see if I like teaching).

Will some employers still give me a chance even though I have been out of school for two years? its too late to intern to gain experience..I am not sure what to do..I feel like maybe i should just go back to school and change careers totally...especially since people view me as an introvert(although I feel like I can be persuasive and i am analytical which are good traits for marketers) , and "too laid" back to do marketing/sales. Like I said maybe thats why I cant get hired....I feel like I am being punished for being me....thats society for ya.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 12:51 AM

somebody has to have something to say...all these views to my thread but no reply

Old 08-02-2009, 09:15 AM

173 posts, read 968,774 times
LOL, introspective1, your topic is just not controversial enough!

That aside, just from your post, I wouldn't hire you for a direct sales position.

The growth is in online or digital marketing, look what happened with Motrin!

If you still want sales, then I always know AFLAC is hiring.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:20 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,158,818 times
Bottom line, other than a dime a dozen degree, why should an employer hire you over someone else?

If you don't have a solid answer to that, you better find one.

PS--Why do you think it's too late to intern?

Old 08-02-2009, 09:45 AM

1,714 posts, read 6,064,617 times
If you are having to project enthusiasm (which isn't your normal mode) in interviews, and your feedback tells you that you are too laid-back and low-energy for sales, then I think you have your answer - this isn't a good fit for you.

What about online sales or advertising? Graphic design and that sort of thing? If you can start an online business of your own, and make a go of it, (1) you can prove your ability, and (2) make some money that way too. Besides, it will show some initiative, which sounds like it would help you.

I am not sure that going back to school will be your best option at this time. Unless you have a good idea of what you would study/which direction you would take it?

Old 08-02-2009, 10:19 AM

256 posts, read 895,663 times
Change career paths or learn to be what you need to be do the job. No one wants a laid back sales person or marketer.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:24 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,158,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
If you are having to project enthusiasm (which isn't your normal mode) in interviews, and your feedback tells you that you are too laid-back and low-energy for sales, then I think you have your answer - this isn't a good fit for you.

What about online sales or advertising? Graphic design and that sort of thing? If you can start an online business of your own, and make a go of it, (1) you can prove your ability, and (2) make some money that way too. Besides, it will show some initiative, which sounds like it would help you.

I am not sure that going back to school will be your best option at this time. Unless you have a good idea of what you would study/which direction you would take it?
Graphic Design requires artistic talent. it's not something you can just decide to "do" and be successful at.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:36 AM

200 posts, read 602,111 times
It seems like you're not in the right area. A lot of people in marketing and sales have high-energy, enthusiastic personalities. No sense in trying to force what doesn't come naturally. That doesn't mean that you can't do something with your degree, though.

It's never too late to do an internship as far as I'm concerned. Or maybe find a volunteer position that's related to what you want to do; I'm sure there are a lot of non-profits out there right now who could use some help. It seems like you're going to have to do either or both of the above so you have at least some sort of real experience to put on your resume.

Maybe you should think about looking at pursuing some sort of analyst position. You might have to go back to school for that. Or maybe advertising like timelesschild suggested. Good luck...

Old 08-02-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iarch View Post
LOL, introspective1, your topic is just not controversial enough!

That aside, just from your post, I wouldn't hire you for a direct sales position.

The growth is in online or digital marketing, look what happened with Motrin!

If you still want sales, then I always know AFLAC is hiring.
LMAO! yeah, Iarch, i guess it is not too controversial or weird. Speaking of AFLAC, I interviewed with them once....then another branch of AFLAC called me but i havent called them back. I have an interview with mutual of omaha tommorow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Bottom line, other than a dime a dozen degree, why should an employer hire you over someone else?

If you don't have a solid answer to that, you better find one.

PS--Why do you think it's too late to intern?
I would think it is too late to intern because most companies want someone fresh (like less than a yr) out of school or someone in their junior or senior year. I have been out for a little over two years.

Why should an employer hire me over someone else? The only thing I can say is my very intense work ethic. Every job that i have worked, even if I dont wanna stay there the rest of my life, I come in everyday and learn as much as I can, and treat the job like I am trying to get as high in the company as I can go.. to me, every job is a stepping stone. I am a team player and love to assist others when i can. (not sure if that is good enough answer for ya, but one i have given in interviews).

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post

Well, that feedback has come from former friends, co-workers, and especially family, not from interviewers. I have never been able to get feedback from interviewers.

I have been considering starting my own business not sure what.....or maybe buying into a franchise. Timeless, this is a wonderful idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment