Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 08:33 PM

1,086 posts, read 3,360,600 times

Advertisements

My current company hired me and 4 others to create a separate division within the company. They've invested 3 years and 3 million dollars into our department and they have yet to see a return on their investment. They have been patient with us and claim to be sticking with the current goal although we do not believe them. In my opinion they do not know what to do with us, if they let my department go then they risk losing business in other divisions. There were recently some changes made that we were not happy with.

Because of the changes, we feel as though our job is not safe. We're all looking for a new job.

My co-worker gave 2 weeks notice today, and the CEO chewed her out, screamed and cursed and stated how he invested all this money and basically our division was as good as done. He told her good luck and then fired her. I was then called into an office today with another co-worker and was asked if we were planning on leaving as well and if we were still on board? He went on and stated if we were not on board he would shut the dept off now and save 1 mil per year.

Now I was planning on leaving in a week and giving 2 weeks notice at well. I did not want to speak up during the meeting for fear of losing my job on the spot and a couple weeks of pay.

Because he asked us our intentions, I feel even if I tell them I have a better opportunity they're going to take it personal and fire me on the spot too.

It was suggested to me if I do quit dropping off my laptop to a co-worker and just quitting with a letter. I feel as if this is cowardly and very unprofessional. However, if they fired my co-worker after she gave notice they will surely do the same to me.

Do I give notice and risk getting let go on the spot and losing 2 weeks pay, which I will need to move back cross Country?

Do I look out for myself, mail them my resignation letter and just quit when I am ready to leave?

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 10:13 PM

220 posts, read 991,450 times
There's a lot of variables here, like how long you've been working there, are you going to need a future reference and blah blah blah.

Long story short I would say don't give the 2 week notice, just quit. If asked in the future if asked why you did not give 2 weeks notice; say it was not required as they fired people on the spot and did not replace them, and you did not leave any business unfinished.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:55 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Because you know they are going to fire you when you give notice, wait until what would be your last day anyhow and then give notice. Then when they fire you, it doesn't matter, but you can still tell a prospective employer down the road that they might not give you a good reference because they were upset when you gave notice and fired you for doing so. Win-Win for you, makes them look like the bad guy, and covers your bases all around.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:03 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,699,219 times
While I don't know your exact circumstances, one option you have is to question the managers who are in charge of this division. Ask them what their plans are for the division considering that it is not profitable. Is there a place for you elsewhere within the company.

But if you are already set on leaving, I would not provide them with the notice. In a perfect world, get another job set up, tell them you need 4 weeks to get your affairs in order before you start... then provide the two weeks notice. You can still do that if you wish (assuming you already have work lined up).

While you might not get a good reference from that company, to be honest, in my experiences all that a prospective employer is allowed to ask your former employers is "Did so-and-so work for that company from blahblah date to blahblah date."

Old 08-26-2009, 09:06 AM

275 posts, read 743,366 times
It looks more like "Lose-lose" situation in either case for both parties... Boss did no do his job professionally for some reason and now whole team is in worse shape, than it could have been.

Did boss fired her in order to not pay UI?

Old 08-26-2009, 09:48 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,326,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Because you know they are going to fire you when you give notice, wait until what would be your last day anyhow and then give notice. Then when they fire you, it doesn't matter, but you can still tell a prospective employer down the road that they might not give you a good reference because they were upset when you gave notice and fired you for doing so. Win-Win for you, makes them look like the bad guy, and covers your bases all around.

I agree with annerk!

Old 08-26-2009, 09:51 AM

5,554 posts, read 6,740,191 times
Anyone who behaves like that is not concerned at all about you, so why should you be concerned? No, in this case, I wouldn't give notice. I agree with annerk, also.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:18 AM

1,086 posts, read 3,360,600 times
Ok let's throw a monkey wrench into the equation. They paid my relocation costs to come here, to the tune of $8,000. I signed paperwork stating that if I leave before a year is up then I am responsible for paying back the costs of relocation. Now with that being said, I am leaving 1 week before a year, and my gut feeling is becuase of this they might not give me my last paycheck. Is that legal?

And btw, it was my Manager who has been encouraging me to leave. He has been feeding me inside info that I normally would not get.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:22 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,791,093 times
God, why not just wait the week??

Old 08-26-2009, 12:14 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times
So wait, you agreed in writing to pay back $8K if you stay less than a year and you're leaving a week shy of that? If your last paycheck is less than $8K then it would certainly seem like it would be legal to deny it to you, as well as bill you for the balance of the relocation costs.

It sounds like the CEO will have reason to be p.o'ed when you give notice - your division has been unproductive and everybody is planning on jumping ship. If you give notice before the year, you'd better hope they forget about the relo package.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment