Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2009, 05:28 PM

2 posts, read 3,687 times

Advertisements

like to know from a member that they are making money off th internet,maybe w/no money down/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 05:31 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times
I make money off the Internet, but not in the sense that you're inferring. I work from home as an independent consultant and am heavily dependent on an Internet connection for sharing files and such.

Can you write, as in creatively? You can freelance, and although it doesn't pay much unless you're very prolific, it's a start.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:31 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,789,697 times
Yeah ISPs make money off the internet.

Seems to me it's a bit like the gold rush. More money was made selling picks and shovels...

And what ever happened to "disintermediation"... where the net was supposed to remove middlemen???

Last thing I bought via an internet connection I had to buy from a retailer. The factory wouldn't sell to "private" individuals. Only wholesalers and retailers.

Seems very few real "work at home with a computer and phone" jobs have really materialized, near as I can tell.

Granted I'd say almost all office and many, many tech jobs *could* be done that way. But the companies of the world, by and large, don't seem to be going that way.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,349 times
Hi,

I thought I'd add my 2c :-)

I work from home building my own web sites. It's not free, but it's not expensive, and I'm of the belief that most things which are worth pursuing are worth investing in. I found a company called SiteSell some years ago, their product is Site Build It. I didn't know a thing about building web sites, but this company teaches you everything you need to know, and it wasn't long until my efforts were being rewarded with $$$!

You should look into it, because it really is worth it if you're serious about working from home on the internet :-)

Best of luck!

Old 08-29-2009, 08:39 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,157,968 times
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggib View Post
like to know from a member that they are making money off th internet,maybe w/no money down/

Old 08-29-2009, 10:55 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
I make some pocket change taking surveys and working as a beta tester/usability subject for new b2c web sites before they luanch, but it's not enough to live on. I'd say I average $500 a year plus some free merchandise now and then. I got a free bar of soap and some scented drawer liner a couple of weeks ago, so we're not talking like I'm getting cool electronics or anything with any real value.

Old 08-29-2009, 03:10 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,174,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I make some pocket change taking surveys and working as a beta tester/usability subject for new b2c web sites before they luanch, but it's not enough to live on. I'd say I average $500 a year plus some free merchandise now and then. I got a free bar of soap and some scented drawer liner a couple of weeks ago, so we're not talking like I'm getting cool electronics or anything with any real value.
When I was between jobs a few years ago, I did the same thing. It wasn't much....but it gave me some extra cash....and some free products.

I really think that as companies outsource more and more, giving work such as answering 1-800 calls, customer service, and sales....that online jobs may end up being a big demand. It really does save a company a whole lot of money if you work as an independent contractor and do these services for them.

The problem is that many of these jobs end up going to India or Manila due to the fact that they work cheap. At the same time, many Americans are disgruntled over having to deal with language barriers in order to get problems resolved or products purchased. These are the areas Americans should focus on and start demanding become more available to those people who are willing to work from home.

If the government would give tax breaks to companies providing 'work from home jobs'....I think this would be the perfect solution for both the company and the people who would love to work from home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment