Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 09:52 PM

4,289 posts, read 10,799,152 times

Advertisements

Or with just a bachelors degree?

I am looking to be on a defined career path, since I feel like I am stagnant right now.

Looking to know any kind of certiications/professions that are offered with college degree + extra training that would provide me with a good career. I am willing to get training/schooling, but I can not afford to be in school for years here.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 06:54 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,924,158 times
How about a professional City-Data ambiguous question thread starter?

What is your Bachelors in now?
Do you have an particular desires?
Are you bilingual?
Are you pretty darn good at math?
Do you know any computer languages?
Are you comfortable working in the health care industry?
Would you work outdoors 80% of your time?
Would you be willing to travel 50% of your time?
Do you have a geographical preference to live?
Would you be willing to join the military and become an officer?

Old 01-02-2010, 08:32 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,846,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Or with just a bachelors degree?

I am looking to be on a defined career path, since I feel like I am stagnant right now.

Looking to know any kind of certiications/professions that are offered with college degree + extra training that would provide me with a good career. I am willing to get training/schooling, but I can not afford to be in school for years here.

Thank you
Teaching, most health care careers like nurse, radiation therapist, lab, occupational, physical therapist.

What you could do is go to the college and ask to take a vocational aptitude test. There may be careers you never heard of or never considered that you should consider.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:31 AM

4,289 posts, read 10,799,152 times
What is your Bachelors in now? Economics

Do you have any particular desires? Just want an interesting career that i could make good $ in

Are you bilingual? No

Are you pretty darn good at math? math, yes. I have previously worked doing taxes and found it easy. Not so much at calculus, etc however

Do you know any computer languages? no

Are you comfortable working in the health care industry? yes, but i dont want to be cleaning up after a bathroom mishap, etc

Would you work outdoors 80% of your time? Yes, I would not mind this at all

Would you be willing to travel 50% of your time? Yes, I would love to do some traveling with my job. But 50% of traveling is my limit. Would not want to be gone from home for more then 50% of the time.

Do you have a geographical preference to live? Yes. In the south near a major metro area.

Would you be willing to join the military and become an officer? As a last resort I would. But otherwise, not interested[/quote]

Old 01-02-2010, 01:23 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,169,109 times
With a degree in economics I'd be looking at jobs within a budget/finance department of a large healthcare system. That should meet all of your requirements as long as you are willing to work your way up.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:17 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,846,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Are you comfortable working in the health care industry? yes, but i dont want to be cleaning up after a bathroom mishap, etc
Most health care professions don't involve that. Even nurses make the aids or housekeepers do the clean up jobs now. There is pharmacy, radiation therapy, physical and occupational therapy, lab, dietary and so on.

Plus the accounting and billing, registration departments. The IT department, medical records and many other departments.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:05 PM

4 posts, read 14,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Most health care professions don't involve that. Even nurses make the aids or housekeepers do the clean up jobs now. There is pharmacy, radiation therapy, physical and occupational therapy, lab, dietary and so on.

Nurses do NOT necessarily make the aids (what aids?) or housekeepers (what housekeepers?) do the cleaning up. GOOD GRIEF! You clearly are not a nurse.

If I were doing it over again, I'd go into sonography.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:26 AM

3,734 posts, read 4,556,780 times
Personal banker at a big bank.

You must be able to show some sales experience in your resume. This doesn't have to be work as an actual salesman, but work where you were able to successfully convince people to do things, for example, a health care worker who was able to convince a lot of people to get tested for HIV.

The bank provides a paid training period for you to get your licenses. HSBC, Chase, & Wachovia have been recruiting lately.

Last edited by Pivot Point; 01-06-2010 at 10:41 AM..

Old 01-06-2010, 06:46 PM

314 posts, read 937,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borboleta View Post
Nurses do NOT necessarily make the aids (what aids?) or housekeepers (what housekeepers?) do the cleaning up. GOOD GRIEF! You clearly are not a nurse.

I agree nurses at the hospital I work at do it all because the techs and CNA's they do have are usually overwhelmed. The nurse is the go between for everything. That is what the nurses in the break room complain about.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:45 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,169,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borboleta View Post

My mom is a (now retired) BSRN, and I'll bet she's changed over 100,000 adult diapers in her lifetime. Back when she was in nursing school they learned to make a hospital bed--because it used to be the RN's who changed the sheets!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment