U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 11:32 PM

72 posts, read 360,533 times

Advertisements

I have Finance background. I have found that some of the entry level requires 1-3 years of experience What are the good entry levels ?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 07:05 PM

48 posts, read 138,309 times
Default Entry Level Jobd

Quote:
Originally Posted by qinboxmail View Post
I have Finance background. I have found that some of the entry level requires 1-3 years of experience What are the good entry levels ?
There are many entry level jobs you can pursue. Listed below are some of the known careers.

·
Commercial Banking (Credit analyst, loan officer, trust office, mortgage banker)
·Corporate Finance (Treasure, Financial Analyst, Benefits Officer, Real state officer, investor relation office, controler)
·Insurance (auto insurance, claims management, claims representative, insurance agent, insurance agent, sales, appraiser)

·Real State (leasing agent, loan officer, loan processor, mortgage loan processor)

Companies usually post 1-3 years of experience for entry level because they want to find the best person for the job. To gain edge against those with 3 years experience, you need to improve your cover letter and be able to show your values/ working attitude. Improve your resume in the way it would look irresistible to the employer. There are actually many sites which offer career advice and give tips on how to impress employer and finally get the job you want. I actually found a site which actually gives professional advice; try to google Interview Mastermind and sign up for their free e-newsletter. Their newsletter can provide you tips on how to leverage employer psychology to your advantage and improve your chances of getting hired. You would surely be interested with it.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:29 PM

1 posts, read 28,861 times
It can be frustrating not being able to get the job you want because of lack of experience. However, in my past experiences, I've realized that personality really makes a big difference (yes, more so than experience). You can explain to an employer the lack of experience you possess, yet really stress the skills and personality you have in order to do the job well. And, of course, a little connection doesn't hurt either. Good luck! :-)

Last edited by FarNorthDallas; 04-10-2010 at 05:32 PM..

Old 04-07-2010, 09:46 AM

32 posts, read 122,301 times
Possible jobs for entry level would include:

•Finance Officer
•Financial Advisor
•Financial Analyst
•Financial Planner
•Underwriter

You can apply on banks, insurance companies, corporations, variety of other organizations, insurance companies and brokerage firms. And yes, Irene was right. An irresistible resume would help a lot especially if you still need to build up experience on your career. Google interview mastermind or follow Landon Long on Twitter to find great job interview tips and career advice.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:30 AM

8 posts, read 46,542 times
Financial Analyst positions are not really entry level anymore these days, fyi

Old 04-08-2010, 11:58 PM

409 posts, read 2,549,010 times
If you have not graduated yet, pleaseeeeeeee for your own sake, get an internship. This will open many doors in the future.
If not you can get all your certifications (Investment, Insurance, and the like) and apply to very big or very small companies.
Best of luck to you.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:06 PM

247 posts, read 721,073 times
nowadays, go after a teller job because those jobs people are listing are very very very rarely given to people without experience

Old 04-11-2010, 01:13 AM

409 posts, read 2,549,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach_B View Post
nowadays, go after a teller job because those jobs people are listing are very very very rarely given to people without experience
Sad but true.
However, you can always shoot for the stars! You'll never know if you don't try!

Old 04-11-2010, 01:39 AM

49 posts, read 245,237 times
If you don't mind swimming with the sharks for a couple of years, it is pretty easy to get a job as a mortgage loan originator. Some of the smaller mortgage companies will hire pretty much anyone. Most folks don't make it becaue it is a VERY cut throat, clickish business but if you can survive AND you can establish yourself, you can make $60,000-$80,000 per year by your 2nd or 3rd year. Top tier mortgage originators can make $150,000+ per year and don't do much more than answer their phone.

To be successful, you will need to establish yourself in your local real estate market by being VERY social in the real estate circles. Get to know most (if not all) of the realtors in town, smoosh them up one side and down the other and beg them to send you business. You'll also need to be on good terms with the appraisers and closing attorneys in town too. You will likely struggle your first year or two until you get established but as you build your contacts, you will not only become successful but your stock will rise. Experienced mortgage originators that can bring the deals in can easily make $150,000-$200,000 per year.

Not the best career for everyone. It is very stressful because underwriting standards have become very tight and there are lots of people/companies competing for the same slice of the pie. Nevertheless, people will always be buying houses and it will give you the much needed experience if the lending/real estate/banking industry interests you..............

Old 04-11-2010, 09:06 AM

2,190 posts, read 7,338,351 times
Some notes I want to pass on. I agree with going for an internship, but due to the terrible economy companies get their pick of the litter and focus on hiring from somewhat elite college. Big corporations have realized the great demand for internships and some have now begun charging people to become an intern.

Most entry level finance jobs are glorified salesman. Every time I go to a bank teller I get a sales pitch about some product or service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment