U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2010, 04:05 PM

105 posts, read 224,975 times

Advertisements

I had a conversation with a co-worker at my current transient job, I asked him is there anything else he would like to do pass being a customer service rep. He stated "No, it's what he likes to do and he does it well." When he said that statement I had a flashback of what a professor from my old college told me a few years back. He said "Anyone who stays in the same position is a loser, if you don't move up, you have no ambition." Some people thought what he said was kind of harsh, I did as well. I asked "What if someone is just comfortable in their position and don't want to change." "Fine but they're still a loser, if you have motivation to move on." I am currently about to pursue a masters degree in education. But at the same time I can't but wonder.. Is someone a loser if they are to stay in the same Entry Level position until retirement? Please people out there respond let me know your thoughts. And lets rule out the economy in this situation because the economy always goes up and down it's proven through history.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 04:17 PM

26,589 posts, read 58,782,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyNix732 View Post
I had a conversation with a co-worker at my current transient job, I asked him is there anything else he would like to do pass being a customer service rep. He stated "No, it's what he likes to do and he does it well." When he said that statement I had a flashback of what a professor from my old college told me a few years back. He said "Anyone who stays in the same position is a loser, if you don't move up, you have no ambition." Some people thought what he said was kind of harsh, I did as well. I asked "What if someone is just comfortable in their position and don't want to change." "Fine but they're still a loser, if you have motivation to move on." I am currently about to pursue a masters degree in education. But at the same time I can't but wonder.. Is someone a loser if they are to stay in the same Entry Level position until retirement? Please people out there respond let me know your thoughts. And lets rule out the economy in this situation because the economy always goes up and down it's proven through history.
I don't think so.

I know several people who have opted to not take promotions for years and years. A friend of mine would be an executive at her job had she wanted to be. Instead she's still an accounting clerk (she has a degree in accounting) because she doesn't have to work round the clock during the end of quarter/business year. She leaves and goes home to her husband, the kids are grown and gone. She did it her way and is very happy with her choice.

Another friend is a doctor, still a staff doctor at a small practice in the suburban town they live in. He could have gone out on his own, built a large practice, but instead works 8:00 to 4:00 for a small internal medicine practice. He gets home about the same time his kids do, so he doesn't have teenagers home alone for several hours every day after school. His wife is an emergency medicine doctor with unpredictable hours at a nearby large city trauma center, so this works best for them. Now he's not really "entry level," but the point is the same. He has no desire to be the big cheese or to grow his career past the point that it's been at for 20 years now.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I don't think so.

I know several people who have opted to not take promotions for years and years. A friend of mine would be an executive at her job had she wanted to be. Instead she's still an accounting clerk (she has a degree in accounting) because she doesn't have to work round the clock during the end of quarter/business year. She leaves and goes home to her husband, the kids are grown and gone. She did it her way and is very happy with her choice.

Another friend is a doctor, still a staff doctor at a small practice in the suburban town they live in. He could have gone out on his own, built a large practice, but instead works 8:00 to 4:00 for a small internal medicine practice. He gets home about the same time his kids do, so he doesn't have teenagers home alone for several hours every day after school. His wife is an emergency medicine doctor with unpredictable hours at a nearby large city trauma center, so this works best for them. Now he's not really "entry level," but the point is the same. He has no desire to be the big cheese or to grow his career past the point that it's been at for 20 years now.
I understand the point you're making, but at the same time those are two examples of careers, not "jobs" accounting and medicine are pretty serious definitely in a different bracket from customer service.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:00 PM

6,764 posts, read 21,058,472 times
Having worked CS, I don't know HOW anyone could stand it for more than a few years.

However, loser is a nasty term. To some, a loser is someone who hasn't got a great job, a lot of money, can't figure out a computer, and so on...

Your friend is not a loser if HE is happy with what he does. I admire that he isn't hung up on 'what other people think.' It's one of the worst things you can do IMO! (judge yourself by others and their opinions.).

Old 02-18-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
I understand the point you're making, but at the same time those are two examples of careers, not "jobs" accounting and medicine are pretty serious definitely in a different bracket from customer service.
Two more:

My aunt was a low level clerk doing the same job for the same company for over 50 years, and my grandmother was a checker in a gocery store for over 40 years. My aunt refused promotions for very personal reasons and my grandmother didn't want to give up "her customers" for a front end management position.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Two more:

My aunt was a low level clerk doing the same job for the same company for over 50 years, and my grandmother was a checker in a gocery store for over 40 years. My aunt refused promotions for very personal reasons and my grandmother didn't want to give up "her customers" for a front end management position.
That's different as well back then the job market was a different playing field. Success seems to be held at such high standards these days don't you think? I dont know whatever makes a person happy .. I just was wondering what people thought...

Old 02-18-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Having worked CS, I don't know HOW anyone could stand it for more than a few years.

However, loser is a nasty term. To some, a loser is someone who hasn't got a great job, a lot of money, can't figure out a computer, and so on...

Your friend is not a loser if HE is happy with what he does. I admire that he isn't hung up on 'what other people think.' It's one of the worst things you can do IMO! (judge yourself by others and their opinions.).
CS is no joke..I'm doing it now and it's sooo stressful...! you take a lot of verbal emotional abuse and you can't respond to the horrible people the way you want to or your out of a job so it's a lot of repressed emotions!!!! I don't think he is a loser he's doing what he is comfortable doing.. I just think my professor was speaking like that, because he was the Director of the Health Dept. in the county and a adjunct Environmental Professor... JUST GREEDY!! LOL

Old 02-18-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
That's different as well back then the job market was a different playing field. Success seems to be held at such high standards these days don't you think? I dont know whatever makes a person happy .. I just was wondering what people thought...
I think success means that you are happy with your job and make enough to provide comfortably for yourself and your family and save money each money for emergencies and retirement.

I don't believe my aunt was successful, she worked at a low paying job (just above minimum wage even when she retired) and refused promotions for deeply personal but very foolish and selfish reasons. The only reason she didn't live in welfare housing was because she inherited a house and her sister paid the taxes each year. Her entire pension was paid out in a lump sum when she retired into her 70's and amounted to about $30,000--that was after 50+ years with that company, and she had no additional savings at all.

My grandmother on the otherhand was successful. She worked in a union grocery store, and when she retired in the mid-80's, she was earning around $12 an hour--which is about $24 in today's dollars. She also had a very nice pension and savings that allowed her a financially comfortable retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment