Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 02:32 PM

964 posts, read 3,167,131 times

Advertisements

I keep hearing on the news about the recession being over, yet I still hear talks of unemployment and how the unemployment rate can go up to 9%?

And I'm beginning to question whether it'd be worth the trouble of finishing school if one can't even find a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 02:41 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,611,814 times
Depends where you are, it certainly isn't in California for instance.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:44 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,759,277 times
The recession may be over by certain statistical measures, but that doesn't mean that all sectors are doing better and everything is hunky-dory. Still, I don't see what would be accomplished by dropping out of school, unless you have a strong alternative lined up.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:01 PM

964 posts, read 3,167,131 times
Not really. My hometown was always bad with jobs even before the recession. I came too college so I can get a degree and leave my state.

Some areas they said have improved and the recession is over. I know this isn't the case for areas like California and Michigan.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:16 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,138,846 times
Who the hell said the recession is over?!?!? President Obama? If anything it is getting worse.

I'd say it's over when UE has gone down for 6 consecutive months and it is below 6% nationally.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:19 PM

14,228 posts, read 30,144,078 times
Yes, they are stretching the truth. The bad times aren't over by a long shot. It will probably get worse for the average Joe before it gets better. Where I live, I would unscientifically guesstimate the true unemployment is about 25%.

This is today. Things will always change. That's the only thing you can count on. Today's economic climate is only temporary..... Good or bad.

Assuming you are young and college aged, why would you quit school because of the economy? Education makes you a better person who is more equipped to handle what life throws at you. Doesn't matter what you end up doing for a living. That said I wouldn't be going for a degree in underwater basket weaving right now either. I would be gazing into my crystal ball trying to figure out future demand. I would make sure there are real possibilities for employment in my major and my minor fields of study. While in school, I would be looking for jobs/internships/volunteer work in my field to flesh out a resume with education and experience.

So you graduate and end up working as an electrician. No big deal and you will always have the degree to fall back on. Pick up every skill you can. Be a lifelong learner. Learn to be a logical, critical thinker. You'll be able to survive no matter what happens.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:10 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,123,146 times
They might say it's over but the jobs will take a very long time to recover and a lot of the old jobs are lost for good.

We need to move away from manufacturing since that's jumped to India and China and Mexico and find some new reason for being.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:32 PM

96 posts, read 620,971 times
Just repeat something enough times and it becomes the "truth"

Old 10-27-2009, 04:47 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,611,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
They might say it's over but the jobs will take a very long time to recover and a lot of the old jobs are lost for good.

We need to move away from manufacturing since that's jumped to India and China and Mexico and find some new reason for being.
Eh, I would say just the opposite... we should actually have more manufacturing and actually produce tangible goods instead of pushing paper and making money off the exploitation of other dependent countries. Manufacturing does not mean low skill by any means.

Back to the OP however, I have had 3 interviews in the last 7 business days out of about 10 applications sent out...Not exactly what I want, but I will take what I can get right now. Which is pretty good. Considering for the last 5 months I hadn't received a SINGLE interview with over 80 applications

Old 10-27-2009, 08:04 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,485,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croye22 View Post
I keep hearing on the news about the recession being over, yet I still hear talks of unemployment and how the unemployment rate can go up to 9%?

And I'm beginning to question whether it'd be worth the trouble of finishing school if one can't even find a job.

IMO you would be smart to finish school. No I don't feel the recession is over in anyway. Hopefully by the time you finish school things will have picked up. It's better to stay in school and get your education rather then job hunting in this economy right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment