Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 06:33 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,068,194 times

Advertisements

What is actually being done by SOMEONE to help all of the unemployed in this country?

Please, no speeches about 'get a better resume' or some other asinine replies. Millions are out of work. Tomorrow it may be you.

All I saw from 'stimulus $$' were guys fixing roads all summer/autumn.

More and more 'regular' working people are losing their jobs and homes. Again, tomorrow it may be you, so please no stupid 'go get a store job' comments.

What is ANYONE in authority doing about it?
Once in awhile the news reports about 'how the little man is suffering.

Then we get the trite story about 'cutting coupons to save a few dollars.'

People, it's beyond 'saving pennies' cutting coupons.

I'm just wondering what is going to happen to everyone. Maybe this is more a rant, less a question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 07:08 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,934,399 times
There's no meaningful response that won't be considered "too political" in this context.

One way or another, most of us are probably in for a rough ride in the coming years.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:16 AM

8,940 posts, read 20,364,639 times
I'm unemployed and, if my wife doesn't find another job by the end of March, she will also be unemployed. We're both looking, but very-little-to-nothing happening for either of us.
Is it our age? Many people our age (early 60's) are being forced into getting "early retirement/SSI" now. That's not good b/c "early retirement" only pays half the amount of "regular retirement"!
Is it where we live? Some cities in the U.S. have better employment stats than where we are, but we can't move. So, have to "bite the bullet" and keep looking.
Is it the salary she asking for? She is making 62K right now and sure don't want to go down to 45K (as a few companies said the salary would be). She is worth every penny of 62K w/ her Degree and experience.
We think it's "all of the above and maybe more"!
What can anyone do about this unemployment nightmare......basically nothing that we can think of. Individuals have to "cut back" on their type of lifestyle or what is called, BUDGET, BUDGET, BUDGET!! We haven't taken a weekend vacation in over a year! We had a light Christmas (only a few gifts and got them on Black Friday). We eat at home more than we ever use to. On and on and on.
This is what get us though:
Hearing about the high unemployment figures yet and we are still in somewhat of a bad economy, BUT:
Splurged and went out for dinner on Sunday night for Valentines Day and this steak/lobster restaurant was packed with a 55 minute waiting time!
The Daytona 500 was packed with people!
On Thursday/Friday/Saturday nights, Red Lobster and Longhorn restaurant parking lots are full of cars!
Local upscale Mall parking lot on the weekend is packed with cars!
So, there are people spending money and do have jobs!
The only answer that wife and I can come up with is......

Old 02-17-2010, 07:19 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,201,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
What is actually being done by SOMEONE to help all of the unemployed in this country?

Please, no speeches about 'get a better resume' or some other asinine replies. Millions are out of work. Tomorrow it may be you.

All I saw from 'stimulus $$' were guys fixing roads all summer/autumn.

More and more 'regular' working people are losing their jobs and homes. Again, tomorrow it may be you, so please no stupid 'go get a store job' comments.

What is ANYONE in authority doing about it?
Once in awhile the news reports about 'how the little man is suffering.

Then we get the trite story about 'cutting coupons to save a few dollars.'

People, it's beyond 'saving pennies' cutting coupons.

I'm just wondering what is going to happen to everyone. Maybe this is more a rant, less a question.

This country already provides unemployment benefits...what do you mean when you say nothing is being done. I could understand this if no one could get money for unemployment, but shouldn't everyone be grateful that option is there instead of complaining that it isn't enough?

Old 02-17-2010, 07:25 AM

5,024 posts, read 8,892,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
This country already provides unemployment benefits...what do you mean when you say nothing is being done. I could understand this if no one could get money for unemployment, but shouldn't everyone be grateful that option is there instead of complaining that it isn't enough?
But those won't last forever! They're a temporary solution to a large frightening problem!

Also, seems like the last month, there hasn't been anything about jobs on the morning news. They say what the statistics are, but they don't say anything else. Nothing about what people are going through, though they said last night the number of people seeking shelter has gone up.

But nothing else! Before I got laid off last year they were always talking, talking, talking about the problem of joblessness on the news. Now, since the recession to some is officially "over" (what a crock) they just don't mention jobs or the lack of them very much at all anymore.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:27 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,201,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
But those won't last forever! They're a temporary solution to a large frightening problem!

Also, seems like the last month, there hasn't been anything about jobs on the morning news. They say what the statistics are, but they don't say anything else. Nothing about what people are going through, though they said last night the number of people seeking shelter has gone up.

But nothing else! Before I got laid off last year they were always talking, talking, talking about the problem of joblessness on the news. Now, since the recession to some is officially "over" (what a crock) they just don't mention jobs or the lack of them very much at all anymore.
What field are you in? I am a computer programmer and I know the IT field (at least in my city) has a large shortage of qualified programmers/software engineers, and has for over a year now.

I don't think the government should be responsible for carrying people for years if they can't find a job, do you?

Old 02-17-2010, 07:40 AM

5,024 posts, read 8,892,170 times
Quote:
What field are you in? I am a computer programmer and I know the IT field (at least in my city) has a large shortage of qualified programmers/software engineers, and has for over a year now.

I don't think the government should be responsible for carrying people for years if they can't find a job, do you?
No computer programmer here. I've worked in the legal field and in manufacturing and aerospace.

And you're working, right? Are you working today?

Old 02-17-2010, 07:41 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,068,194 times
Quote:
Excuse me, but what if you don't qualify for them? What about the people who can't get UE to see them by?

We don't need 'crutches'--we need work.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:48 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,027,915 times
I think that for many (not all!) it's not that there aren't jobs, it's that there aren't jobs in the area they want to live in or in the pay range they want to earn.

I think a lot of people are going to have to relocate to areas where there are jobs avialable in their field, or realize that their "worth" to an employer isn't what they think it is and accept paycuts.

As far as the stimulus money--you didn't "see it" because most of the jobs saved or created weren't fixing potholes. I know that the company I work for was able to hire half a dozen people at jobs that paid $10-20+ plus full benefits an hour as a direct result of getting government contracts that were paid for by ARRA funds. This also means that our vendors got additional orders which means that they were able to hire or save jobs, and on down to their vendors.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:59 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,934,399 times
Quote:
Our economic problems are partly the results of economic policy decisions made by the government. There are people who are ostensibly paid to keep help keep the economy in good health. They have not done so, not in a way that is meaningful for the average American. However, they have created policies which have made the richest miniscule percentage of Americans wealthier. Wall Street played high-risk games with the economy, with an understanding that the government (their government, to no small extent) would bail them out if things went wrong. Maybe just as important, policies were made that allowed more and more US jobs to go overseas.

There is a lot of disagreement about economics, but I think most of us can at least agree that taxpayer money should not be exploited by Wall Street banks and big corporations, and yet that's exactly what both major parties have been making possible for a while now.

There's also the issue of the trillions of dollars of U.S. government money that is (whoops!) missing. Of course, you've all heard a lot of discussion of this in the corporate media, right?

http://solari.com/blog/?p=1983
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment