Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 05:07 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times

Advertisements

It is highly unlikely that you have equal aptitude for both -- as others have pointed our the work and sorts of habits needed to be a top notch CPA are different than those needed of a first rate CS hire. If you look at the broad range of likely paths it is probably the case that the kinds of long term education one needs to advance in CS will change much more than the on-going professional knowledge needed to stay as the most respected CPA.

If you put that aside (which is not realistic...) I suppose there are some superficial similarities -- a technical knowledge base, some what broad adoption / need in the work place, yet as I believe was discussed in the the thread about IT vs CS there truly is a pretty narrow need for hard core folks that do become true 'Computer Scientists' in much the same way there is much smaller pool or true 'chemists' than there are technicians and others have some knowledge of how chemistry is applied in various fields...

No real reason to dissuade anyone from pursuing a degree in Accounting or CS, so long as they have aptitude to be successful, but the "likely end point" for each path is pretty different too. Pinnacle of CPA path is probably partner in a large accounting firm, maybe some C-level role in financial side of a company, Highest achievement for some one that really has talents in CS is much more likely to involve PhD and high level role in an academic institution or perhaps an organization that has a large technical group. Ultimate lifestyle and compensation might be similar at that level, but the more likely 'plateau' for each has some real differences -- most CPAs gut it out doing pretty routine thinks involving the mandated audit functions, just as too many CS grads end up in a business where their specialized knowledge of the theoretical aspects that they studied have little applicability. I would think a certain level of self knowledge of how one would deal either of those realities is valuable to guide your direction too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 05:29 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,473,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avant-garde View Post
^ lol I don't think you understand what I'm asking here. I have done both and can say that aptitude won't be the problem. When I asked the question in the Original post, actually, I was implying that aptitude wouldn't be an issue. I've also researched a lot of both, and the purpose of asking the original question was to get information on which is relatively mainly in the future employment aspect.. and how much?
Which would you actually enjoy doing more and what types of jobs do you think you will get with either degree?

I mean did you even seriously read your own thread? Analyzing data is going to be pretty important if you decide to go into any technical field.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:38 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,784,224 times
Quote:
chet everett
It is highly unlikely that you have equal aptitude for both -- as others have pointed our the work and sorts of habits needed to be a top notch CPA are different than those needed of a first rate CS hire. If you look at the broad range of likely paths it is probably the case that the kinds of long term education one needs to advance in CS will change much more than the on-going professional knowledge needed to stay as the most respected CPA.
I was sort of thinking the same thing in terms of the on-going study aspect. I have a friend who does own a computer company and when my child was entering college we talked to him about Computer Science. I thought he would be very encouraging about it -- he wasn't. He said that in CS that the programs, languages and technology evolves so quickly that what you learn in school will be obsolete in a few years. What he told us was that if you have an aptitude for higher math, then you can still program.

So, since it sounds like you have an aptitude for math, seem to enjoy it, then I pick the CPA -- that sounds kind of silly to me because, obviously, you have to pick it! You're asking a bunch of strangers to guide you into a career.

But since my child was going to go into Computer Science and our friend advised against it, the major is now Business with an MBA in sight, plus multiple languages. And there still may be no job in sight!!

A CPA would be a pretty secure job, I would think. Computer Science is mostly programming, unless you are into writing computer languages, which is a whole other field and you truly must know much higher math.

The reality is you'll either get a job on graduation or not. At least with a CPA you could hang a shingle outside and have your own business. To me, it sounds more secure. But what do I know? I have no idea what the job market will be like in five or ten or fifteen years. I have no clue how technology will advance, but you can be sure it'll be changing.

Have you thought about engineering? I hear that is closely linked to computer science, but you have a different skill set that can also be used in computer science. Many engineers have worked at IBM in computer science.

Pick one that you really like. The common denominator in both is math -- so there's a possbility of cross-over.

Life is a crap shoot in lots of ways -- who knows, you might end up singing on a cruise ship!

Old 03-01-2010, 05:57 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,473,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
I was sort of thinking the same thing in terms of the on-going study aspect. I have a friend who does own a computer company and when my child was entering college we talked to him about Computer Science. I thought he would be very encouraging about it -- he wasn't. He said that in CS that the programs, languages and technology evolves so quickly that what you learn in school will be obsolete in a few years. What he told us was that if you have an aptitude for higher math, then you can still program.

So, since it sounds like you have an aptitude for math, seem to enjoy it, then I pick the CPA -- that sounds kind of silly to me because, obviously, you have to pick it! You're asking a bunch of strangers to guide you into a career.

But since my child was going to go into Computer Science and our friend advised against it, the major is now Business with an MBA in sight, plus multiple languages. And there still may be no job in sight!!

A CPA would be a pretty secure job, I would think. Computer Science is mostly programming, unless you are into writing computer languages, which is a whole other field and you truly must know much higher math.

The reality is you'll either get a job on graduation or not. At least with a CPA you could hang a shingle outside and have your own business. To me, it sounds more secure. But what do I know? I have no idea what the job market will be like in five or ten or fifteen years. I have no clue how technology will advance, but you can be sure it'll be changing.

Have you thought about engineering? I hear that is closely linked to computer science, but you have a different skill set that can also be used in computer science. Many engineers have worked at IBM in computer science.

Pick one that you really like. The common denominator in both is math -- so there's a possbility of cross-over.

Life is a crap shoot in lots of ways -- who knows, you might end up singing on a cruise ship!
Have to disagree with a few things:

1. Computer Science is not mostly programming. A real CS program will be math heavy, not programming heavy. I'm pretty sure I did more programming as an EE than anyone I know with a CS degree. Also you don't get a CS degree to learn Java or C#, you go there to learn how to learn these things. Programming languages change over time, it's far more valuable to learn how to pick up new languages quickly than it is to "know Java".

2. If you're skilled, hard working and entrepreneurial you need less to get going with "your own business" if you're doing software than you would as an accountant. Why do you think silicon valley even exists?

Old 03-01-2010, 06:34 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,849,445 times
Partner at a large accounting firm is not a "likely end point" for the CPA career, although I agree that it is the pinnacle that a lot of people think of when they start out. But only a few percent actually end up "making partner." Most leave public accounting in 2-5 years and end up working for a private company, for the government, or in the non-profit world. Those who work in smaller firms will be more likely to remain in public accounting, but I think even then a lot of people get sick of the hours required as they get older, start families, etc. and usually end up going elsewhere.

And all of that is assuming that new grads can even get jobs, which is nowhere near a sure thing right now. You generally need to get at least 3 years in before you are marketable, even with the CPA license. Also, in public accounting the higher you go, the less your job is really about technical knowledge and more about marketing and finding client projects.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:21 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
Quote:
FinkieMcGee: Have to disagree with a few things:

1. Computer Science is not mostly programming. A real CS program will be math heavy, not programming heavy. I'm pretty sure I did more programming as an EE than anyone I know with a CS degree. Also you don't get a CS degree to learn Java or C#, you go there to learn how to learn these things. Programming languages change over time, it's far more valuable to learn how to pick up new languages quickly than it is to "know Java".

2. If you're skilled, hard working and entrepreneurial you need less to get going with "your own business" if you're doing software than you would as an accountant. Why do you think silicon valley even exists?
I apologize. Sorry, guess I screwed that explanation up. I'm not a programmer/CS/or EE or anything, so I didn't use the correct words. I live in the Silicon Valley area, and my friend who owns his computer company (in another country) was just here giving a lecture on a specific computer language that is not one that is currently well-known. I'm not a computer person, so, obviously, I did not explain it correctly. The gist, though, that I got was that if you know higher math, you can program -- it's all math-related. I should know better than to get involved in conversations about things that I do not know how to describe in words.

Okay, you guys go and talk -- I don't have the vocabulary or math background to explain it the way it was told to me. All I know is he is internationally-known and he told us that CS was not a field one had to have a degree in if you knew higher math (I guess it helps that he's a genius....). I was just responding to a young person -- my friend is not young -- he's been around quite awhile and is not a novice. But...unfortunately, I do not have the vocabulary to correctly convey what I was trying to say. Again, I apologize -- I did not mean to confuse things, I just didn't know how to explain it in words.....

Sorry.... I promise to not interfere again because I know I can't explain it the way it was explained to me.....

Old 03-02-2010, 12:21 AM

P.S. I'm "old," too, so I think maybe I see things from a different point of view, and the people I know in computer science are some of the people who invented some of the stuff you guys use in CS. That's the only reason I put down the only way I knew how to explain it, because he's not young, and he's well-known, and I trust someone as gifted as he is. And, yes, I am very well aware of Silicon Valley. So, if someone of his caliber says you only need higher math, I believe it -- but then again, he did not go the traditional college route first -- he was just a genius, and fell into the field by solving computer language problems that others could not solve -- and that was the math part. Having worked with world mathematicians at MSRI (Mathematical Sciences Research Institute -- in Berkeley), I got to see what top-notch mathematicians were really like -- very nice, thoughtful people, who just happened to be brilliant. But that was years ago....

I just sometimes forget I'm older and that many of the people I know are those who developed much of what is currently used in CS. Sorry, I didn't mean to override anyone, just thought it helpful that math is interchangeable -- and if you're a genius, I suppose it doesn't matter either way. I think some of it is perspective of age, and that is one area that tripped me up -- I forget that many of the younger generations use what my friends invented...they literally started from the bottom...and are still creating new magic in CS. So, maybe that explains why my answer sounded so trite and irrelevant -- we oldies sometimes forget that younger people weren't alive when all this was being invented....

Anyway, I tried to offer a suggestion I thought was valid, but I see times have changed so much, that even though the premise remains the same, that the response is very different.

The OP will do what he wants anyway, so, frankly, I don't think what any of us say will make a realistic difference.

I'll just toddle over to the retirement forums again!

Old 03-02-2010, 01:16 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avant-garde View Post
So after all that debate, what do you guys say, accounting/CPA or Computer Science?
Whichever you like more.

You don't have to stay with the same major anyhow. You have pretty much 2 years to get core curriculum out of the way and see which way you really want to go later. Take some programming classes, and accounting classes -- but most of all at some point in college, try to get actual work in whichever field you're leaning toward. Find a mentor.

You don't have to wait until after graduation to get your foot in the door in the job world. You can find part time work, even volunteer work.

Think of it this way - replacements in all fields are always going to be needed. The problem is there are a lot of people who will be competing with you for jobs - but you have to beat them out. You can hit the floor running if you get yourself the edge on everyone else.

Really the best thing you can do is work and take classes. Graduate with job experience going for you.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:20 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,935,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
There are sources of long term research into the paths that have the greatest record of success for college students. The biggest surprise, as I recall, is that the MAJOR is far less important that "achievement" -- the folks that major is something sorta non-employment oriented (like the classic "liberal arts") do just as well over long periods of time as those that major in "career track" things when you factor the whole lenght of a career.
Source? References? I find this very unlikely.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:47 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
There is a fair amount research to back this up -- folks that do things that they are well suited toward / have high aptitiudes in are more successful than those that just major in what seems to be lucrative:

Emerald: Article Request - Using assessment centre performance to predict subjective person-organisation (P-O) fit: A longitudinal study of graduates

College Grade Point Average as a Predicator of Adult Success: A Reply
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment