Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 07:20 AM

8,952 posts, read 20,372,776 times

Advertisements

Ok, what's your take on a few people getting together twice a week for a Bible Study during the lunch? At a company I use to work for, a lady tried to get a Bible Study going, but it didn't work after a couple of times. She told me, "I just couldn't get/keep the interest". My wife attends a Bible Study twice a week, during lunch, where she works. It doesn't bother me at all, but should religion be brought into work? She has told me that when the small group (3-4 ladies) have met in the cafeteria (corner table), some employees glance at them (they see the Bibles) and perhaps make remarks to themselves.
In previous years of employment, I have never seen (or heard of) a Bible Study group meeting on the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 07:33 AM

27,345 posts, read 27,397,752 times
If youre off the clock and at lunch a person should be able to do whatever they want. Bible study, go home and have sex, go to the bar and watch part of a game, go pick up your kid, whatever. No big deal.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:55 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Ok, what's your take on a few people getting together twice a week for a Bible Study during the lunch? At a company I use to work for, a lady tried to get a Bible Study going, but it didn't work after a couple of times. She told me, "I just couldn't get/keep the interest". My wife attends a Bible Study twice a week, during lunch, where she works. It doesn't bother me at all, but should religion be brought into work? She has told me that when the small group (3-4 ladies) have met in the cafeteria (corner table), some employees glance at them (they see the Bibles) and perhaps make remarks to themselves.
In previous years of employment, I have never seen (or heard of) a Bible Study group meeting on the job.
It's not using any resources. I assume management is OK with it. If people want to waste their time paying homage to an imaginary being and it doesn't bother anybody, why not? Would people get upset if these coworkers spent their time writing letters to Santa Claus or worshiping corn?

"No man ever believes that the Bible means what it says; he is always convinced that it says what he means." - George Bernard Shaw

Old 02-25-2010, 08:28 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
I have certainly heard of people doing this, but I do live in an area of the country called the Bible Belt. My husband used to participate in one as a matter of fact. I think what people do on their lunch hour is strictly up to them even if they are on the company premises if they are not bothering anyone (assuming it's not illegal or immoral!) Religion and spirituality is part of many people lives. I don't see that they have to negate that just because they are at work. An employer doesn't control their employees' conversations while they're off the clock. So why would they try to curtail religious speech anymore than something else?

Old 02-25-2010, 09:11 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
As long as they don't start proselytizing to other employees, I really wouldn't care. Unfortunately (and this has happened at a former job) it usually starts out as 'bible study' and moves into 'let's see how many people we can convert under the guise of simply inviting people to our luncheon'. Plus, if anyone in management gets involved it could get a bit hairy. I was at a job (same as the one mentioned before) where management was involved in a lunch time bible study and if you didn't participate you wouldn't get any raises or promotions.

I think it would be fine if they were outside the building on their own and not in the company cafeteria where other people will want to enjoy their lunch in peace.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:29 AM

3,646 posts, read 5,420,743 times
I am 53 years old and have lived in the southeast my entire life. The bible study at work issue is one I have never encountered.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:38 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
A couple days ago I walked by a closed conference room door (this is in Los Angeles) and I heard sounds that didn't quite sound like a meeting (didn't sound like a couple was doing the wild thing either...), but a minute or two later about ten guys with yarmulkes walked out of there.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:17 AM

600 posts, read 1,609,367 times
A friend of mine got a job in LA (he's in IT) - one of the requirements was a 3-month Scientology class . He did 6 hours of work and 3 (or 4?) hours of 'study' in the first 3 months of his employment. He had to pass the final exam to be able to stay with the company. Only in LA .

Old 02-25-2010, 04:18 PM

8,952 posts, read 20,372,776 times
In red below, is exactly what I'm thinking/talking about! If a Bible Study is done behind a close door inside a company, that would be ok. But, if others have to walk by a group discussing the Bible and see the Bibles, that another thing. If I have a problem at work, I don't want to ask management or a co-worker about the problem and have them reply "just pray about it" or "read this Verse in the Bible". AND, there could be some co-works that would frown on associating with people who are involved in a Bible Study at work. Remember, there are only 3 or 4 people in the Bible Study my wife is in, that is a really, really small number compared to the total number of workers there! That sure doesn't sound like an "interesting" group to the others at work to join!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
As long as they don't start proselytizing to other employees, I really wouldn't care. Unfortunately (and this has happened at a former job) it usually starts out as 'bible study' and moves into 'let's see how many people we can convert under the guise of simply inviting people to our luncheon'. Plus, if anyone in management gets involved it could get a bit hairy. I was at a job (same as the one mentioned before) where management was involved in a lunch time bible study and if you didn't participate you wouldn't get any raises or promotions.

I think it would be fine if they were outside the building on their own and not in the company cafeteria where other people will want to enjoy their lunch in peace.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:11 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,698,696 times
Sounds good to me. I wouldn't want to be part of a Bible study, but, I think it is nice for employees to get together and actually talk not just sit on their phones or just stare into space like mud fences
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment