U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 12:24 PM

926 posts, read 2,101,402 times

Advertisements

Our team is supposed to have a "dedicated" full time person who is supposed to handle the open tickets, i.e. customers' reply to my emails, on my days off. A few months ago, I brought up the issue that this full time guy was not checking my open tickets on a timely basis, and as a result, they sat for up to 24 hours.

Curiously, he does handle new tickets (first time inquiries) quickly and as a result these tickets' handle times were excellent, but again, my open tickets were neglected. I told the supervisor about this and the importance of checking each others' opens during absences, was promised intervention, but nothing seemed to happen.
The supervisor also promised monthly quality assurance checks, which hasn't been done since 2009. She says she'll do stuff but when it comes to coaching and managing the full time hire, she does nothing. It's as if he has protection and can do no harm.

Anyway, I'm not really out to get him (even though his hiring did result in the reduction of my schedule from 32 hrs/week to just 18-20 now, based on volume, but I think it's unfair to our returning customers that they have to wait up to 24 hrs for a reply.

What I noticed recently is that another team member who moonlights between our workload and her own (she has several responsibilities), would go ahead and force ownership of my open tickets to "nobody", so that then, and only then, would the full timer handle them. It's not her job to manage the workload like that, but she says she does it because it's better she take the action, than to leave my open tickets neglected all day.
---------------------
I wrote:
I see you are working hard today to reduce the our market's backlog. Around 2pm I logged in and noticed that curiously, many of my open tickets were still waiting for be handled, up to 24 hours old, while Richard's (the full timer) oldest ticket was 1 hour old, and there were hardly any new tickets left. This tells me you and him worked hard today, but I guess handling my opens is less of a priority than new tickets? Seems odd to me.

Here's what I guess happened. You were really busy and Richard simply doesn't steal my opens...plus waits for you to do something like this: xxxx date/time stamp xxxx Owner forcibly changed from (OP) to nobody

How do you feel about this situation? Sometimes I wonder if the feedback I gave (our supervisor) several weeks ago about handling oldest ticket first resulted in any action.
My team mate's reaction was:

I understand your concern and your point. But my priority is (another) market first and today I handled more than 30 emails from (those customers) Besides that, I also have to do translation. I sometimes feel that you think I am the main (team member), but I am not.

While I still think Richard's priority is handling older tickets including your opens, I cannot leave those without doing any action. But I obviously don't have time to put priority on only (our market) so I have no choice but forcibly changing your opens to nobody.

I don't know why he doesn't care about (VIP players). I think your supervisor needs to see his CRM inbox set up. Or he simply set up not to show VIP players on top?
---------------------------

I thought the supervisor made sure that the full timer could see my opens in his inbox (we use Customer Relations Management software) and was instructed to handle my open tickets promptly. This is a concern because the manager sent us a PPT presentation with graphs showing that our market was not at its peak performance and he wants to improve it from the response within 24 hrs to within 4-8 hrs, ideally. Furthermore, in Feb, he invited me in for a talk and asked for my feedback on how our team could improve, and I told him it's a collective effort.

What would you do if you brought issues up, but they were ignored? I made some screen shots and could forward them to the supervisor.

Last edited by ValueAddedWorker; 04-09-2010 at 01:10 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 01:27 PM

To add, I noticed a trend where it often takes until 2-3pm for one team member to forcibly change the ownership of my tickets to "nobody", therefore forcing Richard to handle them, or for Richard to finally steal my opens and handle them. Another approach I could take is to email Richard and ask him why he handles the new tickets first and my older open tickets last. You would think that using a FIFO (First In, First Out), or first come, first served method would be fairer, not to mention more productive.
I get the strong impression that he is only interested boosting his own stats, not the overall group's productivity.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:38 PM

25,161 posts, read 51,083,929 times
Sounds like a typical inept supervisor.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
That's for sure. Would you folks recommend I follow up with her, or Richard directly?

Old 04-09-2010, 05:46 PM

3,114 posts, read 7,877,313 times
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but you mentioned this full-time worker in another thread this week, and it sounds like you resent him a little? Is it possible that he's picking up on that resentment and is going out of his way to not step on your toes, by leaving your open tickets as is? You even use the word "steal" in reference to him.

If he's the new guy, and he knows you're getting less hours than you'd like because they hired him, I can totally understand why he'd not want to mess with your territory.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but you mentioned this full-time worker in another thread this week, and it sounds like you resent him a little? Is it possible that he's picking up on that resentment and is going out of his way to not step on your toes, by leaving your open tickets as is? You even use the word "steal" in reference to him.

If he's the new guy, and he knows you're getting less hours than you'd like because they hired him, I can totally understand why he'd not want to mess with your territory.

Thanks for the insight bouncethelight. I guess you're right, I do resent him a bit, but what really gets my goat is that there is no quality assurance whatsoever and any suggestions I made to the supervisor and manager seem to have fallen on deaf ears.
I'm still not too happy that his hiring led to the reduction in my hours and salary, I'm barely scraping by now. If the guy was a top performance and listened to suggestions/coaching, it would be more palatable. But he's not and I know I could do a better job in some respects, help our market out more, if I was given the chance to do so. Unfortunately it's clear that Richard is getting a free pass to do as he pleases, and that's to boost his own stats, instead of handle my open tickets.

"Steal" also refers to the action of changing the ticket owner from me to his own name, and vice versa.

About "messing" with my territory, well, we all have a responsibility to handle each others' open tickets when our colleagues are off. He's relatively new, but has prior industry experience (even supervisor experience) and knows the ropes. There's no reason why he can't handle my open tickets, and I still don't understand why he lets these customers wait 24 hours, while new tickets that come in are handled in less than an hour. I wonder if he simply wants to handle as many new tickets as possible and make his stats look good, while leaving the rest for someone else to handle.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:47 AM

47,528 posts, read 65,192,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Yes and when you have one of those, it's sometimes best to just do your job the best you can, and look for another job if that's a possibility. Inept supervisors are the result of inept upper management so there's not much you can do about them from below - except give them enough rope and they'll often hang themselves.

The best thing is complete your own tickets and don't worry about the ones others don't do. It'll be documented who is completing the tickets so eventually it pays off to just get as much work done as you can, and don't worry about the others.

With inept supervisors, if you try to point things out, they'll just think you're being critical of the way they're doing their job so it's best not to do it. After all -- they're being paid to supervise, it's their responsibility to make sure those under them are doing their jobs - not yours.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:38 PM

53 posts, read 133,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValueAddedWorker View Post
That's for sure. Would you folks recommend I follow up with her, or Richard directly?
I would ask Richard directly. See what his response is. He might say he was told to work on his own tickets first and they are his priority. Then ask how he would feel about the two of you speaking with the supervisor. See what your supervisor has to say face-to-face. Other than that I would just focus on my own work and not worry so much about what Richard does. As long as management can see your tickets went ignored when you were out of the office you should be covered.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:10 AM

Hi everyone, when checking my email today for correspondence about the new job, I decided to check into our CRM software to check the status of tickets. Our systems were down yesterday for maintenance and no one had access until this morning, but I did notice that my team mates managed to handle new tickets in a timely basis (some in as little as 2 hrs after receipt), but others like my open tickets, sat for 20-24 hrs. So I decided to send a heads up to my supervisor, who according to the manager, is in charge of having our team follow up with open tickets. There are a few important cases that need immediate attention and in one of them, the customer (a suspected fraud_ster) threatened to escalate his concerns onto a public forum. Such tactics are often used to shame and bully our company into going soft on such customers, when in fact they haven't met certain obligations that all our customers have to meet. I won't go into too many details...

When I asked a team mate about open ticket handling directly, she got all defensive saying how busy she is, etc...instead of understanding my point that tickets should be handled in a First In, First Out basis. Anyway, back to the correspondence with the supervisor... she replied in a defensive manner,
basically stating that since our systems were down yesterday and every team faced hundreds of tickets in backlog, plus the fact they had other priorities this morning, that she was sure the team would get to my opens at some point today.

What the hell? I understand people are busy, but I don't understand how open tickets can be left alone while new ones are handled right away. Even more maddening is a supervisor who gets defensive about it and makes excuses for the team members. We have a customer who's threatening to shame us publicly and I have a supervisor who prefers to put me in my place. I must say, the management really seems to have their priorities out of order.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:33 AM

26,589 posts, read 58,380,652 times
WHy is it that you can spend an hour typing these long posts every morning, but you can't get into work before noon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment