Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 11:29 AM

2 posts, read 1,288 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else had to participate in a breakout room exercise with their employer? I was informed my team will be participating in one soon as part of a team-building exercise. I looked up the place, and the rooms all involve being blindfolded, handcuffed, and gagged. Why on earth would my employer think that I would want to be subjected to this? This seems like it will be an exercise in humiliation.

And why do employers think team-building exercises work? My team works pretty well. We hit our goals last year, and are on track to do the same, even while reducing headcount due to some internal promotions. I really resent having to go through this experience. Anyone else had to deal with something similar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 11:40 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,160,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kserp11 View Post
Has anyone else had to participate in a breakout room exercise with their employer? I was informed my team will be participating in one soon as part of a team-building exercise. I looked up the place, and the rooms all involve being blindfolded, handcuffed, and gagged. Why on earth would my employer think that I would want to be subjected to this? This seems like it will be an exercise in humiliation.

And why do employers think team-building exercises work? My team works pretty well. We hit our goals last year, and are on track to do the same, even while reducing headcount due to some internal promotions. I really resent having to go through this experience. Anyone else had to deal with something similar?
This is insane!! Do you work for the NSA, CIA or Cobra Command? I have heard of team building exercises (sports, games, puzzles etc) but this sounds extreme. I would never participate in something like this. if someone gets hurt the company could be sued i would imagine.

Old 06-19-2016, 11:41 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,564,684 times
HR probably wanted to "stress" test the team? The only people here that go through anything similar to this are the cops, and they aren't blindfolded/etc, but tested on how they respond to unknown events or whatever they do. They come around and have us press the alarm/panic button once in a while and see how the cops respond. Multiple alarms in close timing and area = they come running with guns drawn for example. most of the hospitals i was at did this, so it isn't just one employer

I would probably find it "fun" enough that I wouldn't mind doing it. The bosses here are pretty good about covering us when they remove people for meetings/events. So work is not affected, and it gives people a break from the same old-same old work day. I know some people are resentful for it, but well, they are resentful for things that break their "normal" routine. So them running out of coffee would do it too, so can't say they resent the exercise itself but that they didn't like the change.

is there a reason you wouldn't want to do it? Why not just take it as a "day off" in terms of work and go hang out with coworkers in a non-work environment?

@DScott, it's kind of growing, there is a local company that sells break out rooms to family/friends as a fun event for people. Guess they are doing it for company events now?
http://breakoutgames.com/

Old 06-19-2016, 11:49 AM

2 posts, read 1,288 times
For those wondering, I work for a company that sells software to colleges and universities. No connection to military, police, etc.

Other teams at my company get to do activities like these, but this will occur during a mandatory week of meetings. So I can't really opt out, as much as I would love to.

Old 06-19-2016, 12:32 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,905,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kserp11 View Post
... this will occur during a mandatory week of meetings. So I can't really opt out, as much as I would love to.
I assure you, yes, you CAN opt out of being handcuffed and gagged at a work-sponsored event (that is not military/police in nature).

Politely decline. If pressured, simply say "I don't feel comfortable with that". Be firm but polite and don't make a scene. Excuse yourself from the room for "fresh air" if you need to.

Old 06-19-2016, 12:59 PM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 1 day ago)

16,085 posts, read 21,209,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
is there a reason you wouldn't want to do it?
Handcuffs, blindfolds and gags in a roomful of people you probably don't know that well outside of the work environment? Sure, what's not to like about that....Sorry, you could not pay me enough to walk blindfolded into a room of my co-workers!

Old 06-19-2016, 01:05 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,831,285 times
I would never willingly participate in something like that. I'd probably have a panic attack.

Old 06-19-2016, 01:08 PM

302 posts, read 231,022 times
I have done these before and they did not include being handcuffed or gagged. It was more of a puzzle game leading to other clues in the room. Once you solve the puzzle you can "get out" of the room.

Old 06-19-2016, 01:37 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,160,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by free.spirit View Post
I have done these before and they did not include being handcuffed or gagged. It was more of a puzzle game leading to other clues in the room. Once you solve the puzzle you can "get out" of the room.

That is different indeed. Escape the room and similar type venues I can see that as being good for team building. Being bound and gagged crosses the line though. Its like a twisted kidnapping fantasy.

Old 06-19-2016, 03:43 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,905,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
[/b]
Being bound and gagged crosses the line though. Its like a twisted kidnapping fantasy.
And could be a trigger event for someone with PTSD, someone who was a victim of a crime, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment