Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 05:58 PM

897 posts, read 1,688,542 times

Advertisements

I sure am,but with this s**tty economy not much you can do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 06:11 PM

897 posts, read 1,688,542 times
I work at a job that I hate,Retail really sucks. I'm thinking about going to College to increase My qualifications. I'll probably not look into School until My Wife and I move to Minneapolis in the next year or so. My Wife's Nephew can't find full time work,so He's going into the Army in the next few months(the Recruiter told him to take off some weight).

Old 05-11-2010, 07:11 PM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,169,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Yea I can see that. However, my manager called the other managers manager to give a good word about me since he knew her. He doesn't know the manager I interviewed with but his higher up.

I work in auto insurance claims. The pay is good especially for these times and my age but its such a drain. The last two weeks have been awful and today was one of the worst days I've had in the last year. I deal with alot of pain the ass people and don't get to help people as much as you'd think. I get into alot of arguments with people. It sucks because people don't understand their policies very much and the sales agents don't tell them about everything aka take advantage of them so I have to inform them we can't do xyz often times.

my manager always says he puts in a good word. i've then often contacted the hiring managers after applying with a few questions about the job and they havent known who i was. so i now know my boss has been saying what he needs to for the past year to keep me there

Old 05-11-2010, 08:35 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,971,719 times
Weird thing, I get along with my managers MORE than my coworkers.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:55 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ep- View Post
i do tech support over the phone. staff is half of what it used to be and we've grown customer wise. im doing 3 times the work i was doing 2 years ago, customers are always rude because we are overworked, have wait times to get through now and arent always the nicest back.

i drive up the building everyday, stare at it for 15 minutes not wanting to go in and eventually force myself to. i work for one of hte largest companies in the world but anytime ive tried to move up ive always been told i was a good 2nd candidate. i bust my ass more then anyone else in my dept

pay is alright and my job is tied in with healthcare so its a secure check. id make a lateral move letting someone fling horse **** at me all day if i could at this point. nothign else out there !
I empathize. The new technology of pushing button #1, #2, #3 and anywhere up to #10 to get a simple answer to a simple question is one of the most frustrating aspects of "advanced technology" for the customer. When you push whatever button, you're subjected to a sweet recorded voice telling you that, "all our representatives are busy right now but your call is important so please hold on for our next available representative". Canned music ensues, the voice message then does a rerun, in many cases you have to listen to all the latest deals offered by this particular company and only the most persistent can continue to stay on hold.

I've had to do it many, many times and, as much as I'm totally frustrated, I never blame the service rep who finally answers the 'phone. I might be seething about having to listen to the canned music and the repetitive messages but that's not the fault of the employee I'm finally able to reach - and by not mouthing off at them I end up with my problem being quickly resolved. "Island time" seems to be infiltrating world-wide and it's not necessarily any good t'ing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I was listening to this job podcast and the man said (he's an employment expert) that often you will NOT get a transfer internally because your manager thinks you should stay in his or her dept.

Often you HAVE to leave to get something else.

I had a CS job (customer service) that I pretty much hated but thankfully I got pregnant with my son and I left when I was 5 months pregnant. I had to force myself to go inside sometimes. I know about how customers on the phone can be abusive because of long wait times.

Good luck to you in finding something new.

Maybe you need to find something out of work time you love and can make that into a sideline.
Many many years ago I was employed by IBM stateside. I was good at what I did. I took a course offered by the company and passed a programming course with flying colors. When I subsequently asked my boss at the time for a transfer to the programming section, he sat me down, listened to me and then summarily dismissed my request by telling me that, "your services as a secretary are invaluable and we can't afford to lose you in that capacity." I moved on.

That sort of employer mindset wouldn't rock these days with all the new laws and rules and regulations but also the new rules and regulations are maybe encouraging more reliance on government intervention where fiscal responsibility is concerned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David674UT View Post
I work at a job that I hate,Retail really sucks. I'm thinking about going to College to increase My qualifications. I'll probably not look into School until My Wife and I move to Minneapolis in the next year or so. My Wife's Nephew can't find full time work,so He's going into the Army in the next few months(the Recruiter told him to take off some weight).
Retail doesn't suck per se. Retail encompasses a massive field.

I think that what ticks me off more than anything else is that someone like you is "thinking about" going to college. Watch your Caps too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by listener2 View Post
YES!! I have been there!! And then I did something about it! I started researching home-based businesses and found a reliable one (that did not scam me or require me to spend a ton of money or stock a ton of inventory).
I got started, replaced my income, and am now in the process of submitting my 30-day notice to leave my "hated" job!!
I'd love to show you what I do and how you can join our team.
Lara
.: Work At Home United :.
Good for you!

Old 05-12-2010, 03:58 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,001,235 times
Quote:
I know alot of people here are unemployed and are looking for work so I may get alot of heat for this thread but I can't stand my job. I feel like I am stuck here. I have been working here for 3 years now. I have been looking for a different job for 18 months, only 2 interviews.

I had an interview with different part of the company I work for on 4/30. They said they would call me by the end of the following week 5/7...no call yet. I called the manager yesterday at 3pm, left a message. I've pretty much accepted I didn't get the position. That was really the only way out of my position without leaving the company. I work for a very well known strong company but the department I work in causes alot of stress and I'm over it.

I seriously wish I'd get laid off but there is no way they are going to lay off people. With the economy so bad, I know there are so many people who would want my job but that really isn't helping my damn near depression when I wake up during the week. It doesn't help my hour + long commute each way. I know alot of people are doing worse than me but I feel so damn stuck here. I've thought about quitting but that is not a smart option at all so...I'm stuck working a job I hate.

Sigh. Anyone else in the same position?
Ah, hush up, will ya? (I'm trying to be polite as possible).

I understand how you feel, but cope with your JOB the best way you can. It's a job, not a life. Do something fun outside it. Plan things (like where to go on vacation - even a weekend trip), set goals, return to school, etc. Enjoy life. Don't let work rule you. It's a necessary means to an end. There's more to you than your job.

I am underemployed. I would LUV to be employed full-time. Don't know if I could handle such stress like tech support, though.

Hope you'll be able to deal with your job better until finding something "secure" (is there anything "secure"?) and rewarding. Don't let it rule you.

Last edited by Soda120; 05-12-2010 at 04:08 PM..

Old 05-16-2010, 10:46 PM

38,885 posts, read 22,870,508 times
Quote:
I know alot of people here are unemployed and are looking for work so I may get alot of heat for this thread but I can't stand my job. I feel like I am stuck here. I have been working here for 3 years now. I have been looking for a different job for 18 months, only 2 interviews.

I had an interview with different part of the company I work for on 4/30. They said they would call me by the end of the following week 5/7...no call yet. I called the manager yesterday at 3pm, left a message. I've pretty much accepted I didn't get the position. That was really the only way out of my position without leaving the company. I work for a very well known strong company but the department I work in causes alot of stress and I'm over it.

I seriously wish I'd get laid off but there is no way they are going to lay off people. With the economy so bad, I know there are so many people who would want my job but that really isn't helping my damn near depression when I wake up during the week. It doesn't help my hour + long commute each way. I know alot of people are doing worse than me but I feel so damn stuck here. I've thought about quitting but that is not a smart option at all so...I'm stuck working a job I hate.

Sigh. Anyone else in the same position?
Yes, I'm in the same situation as you. However, since I live in a state with over 12% unemployment and no good job prospects in sight, I feel I'm stuck where I am. I do have an interview this upcoming Thursday the 20th in another industry, so we'll see how that goes. In the meantime, I try to keep a reasonably good attitude (not easy to do, I'll admit) and be thankful that I still have a steady paycheck. So I try not to complain--TOO much.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:01 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
I hate my job and think about quitting every day. The only thing that keeps me from quitting is the economy. If I did not fear being unemployed for months or even 1 year plus, I would have quit a long time ago.

I have been looking for another job for over a year and have not found anything. I work in a field that is supposed to be strong in a city with relatively low unemployment and it is still freezing out there. So I am glad that I still have my job but I do hate it. I cannot wait for the economy to improve so I can finally find another job and get out of this hellhole.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:47 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,971,719 times
Update

Last Wed I went to the calendar to see what days I can take off. My other team manager sits right next to the calendar. He mentioned that the manager I had an interview with called my manager a few days ago. He said he couldn't go into detail about what they spoke about but that they thought I did good in the interview. He proceeded to say this department isn't for everyone...

So, he made it sound like I got the job...right? IDK, I REALLY REALLY want this damn job! I want to ask my manager for the details but I know thats a big no-no. I also want to call the hiring manager but I think thats not a good idea either. So, I was suppose to get a call on 5/7 and haven't heard anything until my manager on 5/12 give me that info. I have an interview with another company Wed. which I'm kinda unsure about. I tried doing to research about the company but other than their website which looks legit, I couldn't find anything else.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:50 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
Sounds promising! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment