Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 10:28 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,049,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Update

I got that job! Woo!!!

The pay cut isn't neary as high as they stated in the interview, its only 2.5k less. Considering I get a company vehicle, that totally makes it worth the cut. I was driving 400 miles a WEEK to work. Adding up the miles on my car + gas, easily $50 a week. Also, I sold my car last month and have been driving around in a rental. Was planning on buying a new car if I didn't get this job but since I did, I don't have to buy a new car for a good while now. Just use my dads or get into a weekend rental for weekends.

5/29 marks 3 years I've been in this position and I've been hating it for the last 30 months. Best news I've had in a long long time. I'll be starting the other position probably in 3 weeks...can't wait. Get the F out of the office!!!
Congrats! Life is too short to be wasted on the wrong job. Good luck at the new one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 04:20 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,704,983 times
Thing is, with this economy it's tough to complain about having a bad job, in an environment where there are many jobless people who would love to have ANY job period.

Under normal circumstances though, I would encourage one to do whatever they can to get out of that bad job. I had a job for 7 years with dictatorial management, co-workers that ratted you out behind your back then smiled in your face, and having to deal with the general public and all the joy that brings( law enforcement, not Police). Plus there was ALOT of office politics, favoritism, etc. The environment was simply toxic.I literally HATED the sight of my uniform, gave me a sick feeling. Some of my closest family and friends said it even affected my temperament, I became short-wasted and quick to argue.

Eventually I quit, and have been in school furthering myself ever since. In this economy, many people are going to have to bite the bullet for now, this is just not the time to move unless you DEFINITELY have another job lined up, but for most people job opportunities aren't knocking at your door. I would recommend that you make the time outside your life more enjoyable. Join a gym, an art class, a cooking class, a reading club, anything that gives you some sense of joy outside your job will help you to cope a little better. Your job will still stink, but it won't consume your life, your thoughts.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:52 PM

38,885 posts, read 22,870,508 times
Quote:
Update

I got that job! Woo!!!

The pay cut isn't neary as high as they stated in the interview, its only 2.5k less. Considering I get a company vehicle, that totally makes it worth the cut. I was driving 400 miles a WEEK to work. Adding up the miles on my car + gas, easily $50 a week. Also, I sold my car last month and have been driving around in a rental. Was planning on buying a new car if I didn't get this job but since I did, I don't have to buy a new car for a good while now. Just use my dads or get into a weekend rental for weekends.

5/29 marks 3 years I've been in this position and I've been hating it for the last 30 months. Best news I've had in a long long time. I'll be starting the other position probably in 3 weeks...can't wait. Get the F out of the office!!!
Congratulations! Life is too short to be stuck in a job you hate. It eventually begins to spill over into areas of your life outside the workplace.

I had my interview on Thursday morning. Sounds like a good opportunity with a company that's been profitable each year in the 50 years it's been in business. So, we'll see if I get called in for a second interview with the hiring manager.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:39 AM

7 posts, read 16,773 times
What makes you feel so stressful? Is it because of the work
or just something else e.g. office politics?

Old 06-16-2010, 11:13 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
A job is a job. It isn't your life, it funds your life and lets you enjoy your time off. I've had jobs I hate and that's how I had to compartmentalize to survive.

You know times are hard but would it really be better to be delinquent on all your bills, unemployed with no prospects, and living on mac and cheese? No cable, internet, or cellphone? Would you be happy then?

Change jobs if you wish but find a new one before you leave the old one!
I've been told to compartmentalize, but it's hard to do that when the job takes up all your time and all your physical and emotional energy.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:33 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,000,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I've been told to compartmentalize, but it's hard to do that when the job takes up all your time and all your physical and emotional energy.
Well, sleep when you're not working. Fall asleep while watching an old movie or something.

In others words, you need a life outside the job.

Try being under/unemployed if you want, see how you'd feel then. I'm not criticizing, just sayin' ...

Old 06-16-2010, 03:36 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times
Quote:
I know alot of people here are unemployed and are looking for work so I may get alot of heat for this thread but I can't stand my job. I feel like I am stuck here. I have been working here for 3 years now. I have been looking for a different job for 18 months, only 2 interviews.

I had an interview with different part of the company I work for on 4/30. They said they would call me by the end of the following week 5/7...no call yet. I called the manager yesterday at 3pm, left a message. I've pretty much accepted I didn't get the position. That was really the only way out of my position without leaving the company. I work for a very well known strong company but the department I work in causes alot of stress and I'm over it.

I seriously wish I'd get laid off but there is no way they are going to lay off people. With the economy so bad, I know there are so many people who would want my job but that really isn't helping my damn near depression when I wake up during the week. It doesn't help my hour + long commute each way. I know alot of people are doing worse than me but I feel so damn stuck here. I've thought about quitting but that is not a smart option at all so...I'm stuck working a job I hate.

Sigh. Anyone else in the same position?
Does this company offer lateral transfers?

Old 06-16-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
Well, sleep when you're not working. Fall asleep while watching an old movie or something.

In others words, you need a life outside the job.

Try being under/unemployed if you want, see how you'd feel then. I'm not criticizing, just sayin' ...
I am currently in the same boat in terms of being underemployed but yet, I know where the OP is coming from. I've been in two separate work situations where the stress of the job affected my personal life. It isn't a fun place to be in. Yes, the OP has a job but at what cost to his/her emotional well-being.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:53 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,000,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I am currently in the same boat in terms of being underemployed but yet, I know where the OP is coming from. I've been in two separate work situations where the stress of the job affected my personal life. It isn't a fun place to be in. Yes, the OP has a job but at what cost to his/her emotional well-being.
Yes.

Still, folks could try darn near ANYTHING but up and quitting with no job in sight. There's therapy, support systems (family, friends, church, clubs), etc.

The consequences of quitting (without a $$$ safety net) could be more horrendous than sucking up a toxic job.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
Yes.

Still, folks could try darn near ANYTHING but up and quitting with no job in sight. There's therapy, support systems (family, friends, church, clubs), etc.

The consequences of quitting (without a $$$ safety net) could be more horrendous than sucking up a toxic job.
I agree and I'm sure the OP agrees as well which is why he/she feels trapped. As I stated before, I've been there and the stress nearly caused me to have a nervous breakdown and panic attacks. I did not have any nearby family or friends so I struggled alone. Not everyone can afford therapy and it is difficult to obtain it as most therapists operate during work hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment