Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 09:41 AM

924 posts, read 2,230,880 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, convincing my employer to give me a schedule that meets both the company's and my needs took a long time - however I finally got afternoon starts and things are going OK. Nowadays, I generally start around 12-1pm and the main reason is because of the daily challenges faced with a medical condition that does not yet allow me to start in the mornings when most people do.

This year, after being hassled a lot by my bosses for my starts and pretty much being told that I need to get a doctor's letter attesting I actually have a medical condition, or else the boss will "consider all his options", I did submit one, and since then, it's been smoother sailing, except for the occasional tiff here and there. However the problem is that despite my experience and willingness to do more, expand my role, etc. I'm continually told the company has sufficient resources and there isn't enough volume to warrant a schedule increase for me. So I'm stuck with about 20 hrs/week and it's been like this since a full time employee was hired last summer (and will remain that way once the latest full time replacement is done her training).

Luckily, openings in another department were created and both internal and external candidates were considered. The other department supervisor, let's call him Bob, asked the internal candidates for our availabilities for the upcoming training. He said my training would be shorter than external ones since I already know our software+tools. I replied indicating: I'm generally available afternoons. Either May xx or xx between 12 and 5:30pm should be okay.
What does he reply back?
I haven't yet planned the training, but if needed would you be available earlier then noon on May xx, say around starting at 9 am instead?
------

Uh oh. I don't know if I should mention the medical condition to him and explain that's why I start in the afternoons nowadays. Right now I'm unable to guarantee 9am. I could probably do 11am, but not so early. I generally work best in the afternoons/evenings as there are less symptoms then (mornings are tough). I guess I could have figured this issue might come up, but I was hoping it wouldn't, which is why I suggested a noon start would be OK.

What would you say at this point? The new position allows me to finally learn something new in another department and a field I enjoy. My customer service job in the my current department is getting really long in the tooth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 09:14 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
My guess is that you're going to be told "this is when training is, if you can't be there, we'll find someone that can."

Old 05-17-2010, 09:34 AM

I need to reply to the supervisor today, don't know how much I should disclose. In my current position I cover afternoons, evenings which works best for me. I can't do 9am but don't want to shoot myself in the foot. But honesty is the best policy I guess - no use promising that time is OK for me, just to show up late/sick.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:50 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
When he asked about availability for training, was he asking about time of day, or days of the week, or weeks? I would suspect the answer he was looking for was 'I'm available next week' or 'I'm available in two weeks' or "I'm available TWTH'.

I realize time of day has been an issue for you, but tbecause that issue has been on your mind you may have read into his inquiry something that wasn't intended. If I were you I'd go back and reread it to make sure you are answering the question taht was really asked.

If he is asking for time of day, don't answer mornings if you really aren't available mornings.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:09 AM

The training is spread over a few days starting next week. It's unclear to me what the actual position hours will be. For the training, he asked about start time, specifically if I'd be available at 9am. I previously told him I prefer afternoons.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:18 AM

If he says training starts at 9am, its quite likely that the job starts at 9am too. It might be best make some inquiries, just to avoid an ill-will that might be created by them investing the time to hire and train you only to find that you are not available for the job.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
If he says training starts at 9am, its quite likely that the job starts at 9am too. It might be best make some inquiries, just to avoid an ill-will that might be created by them investing the time to hire and train you only to find that you are not available for the job.
Fair point and thanks for your feedback in this thread, kodaka. I decided to bite the bullet and emailed the supervisor just now about the proposed training schedule. Whatever happens, happens. At least I still have my current job as a back up.
////////////

Dear Bob,
I wish I could guarantee a 9am start, however I am not comfortable confirming this at this time. The main reason I currently do afternoon shifts on the customer service team is due to the challenges presented by a documented medical condition (doctor's letter submitted to HR). If my training schedule for this new role could be adapted for the afternoon instead of 9am, I would appreciate it. Otherwise I will continue to try to find solutions to progressively adapt to an earlier start.

Thank you for your understanding,

OP

Old 05-17-2010, 11:36 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Keep in mind that if you adapt for an earlier start for this training, you have by default adapted for an earlier start for your current position as well, medical letter notwithstanding.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:55 AM

Yes I agree, if you 'adapt' to an earlier start time for the new manager, you will have no excuse to start late for your current position. Or any other job in the future.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:04 PM

Yup I realize what I'm getting myself into for the current position, but as Opyelie mentioned, it would be in my best interest to find ways to adapt to "normal" business hours, i.e. morning starts. Notice I told the supervisor: I will continue to try to find solutions to progressively adapt to an earlier start.

So by trying, I'm not guaranteeing it. Besides, as stated in the doctor's letter, I am under care of the Dr. and together, we are trying to find solutions to resolve the symptoms experienced by the condition. I wish I could just get going in the AM like everyone else - that's one area that remained a weak spot on my annual performance review and before the letter was submitted, I was told I need to improve my reliability in this regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment