U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 04:17 PM

418 posts, read 1,232,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
99.9% of Craigs List Jobs are SCAMS
That could be true but the ONLY interviews I have gotten have been off craigslist jobs I applied for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 07:34 PM

6,585 posts, read 23,169,794 times
I only responded to Craigslist ads if they provided the name of the company, they had a legit website and they provided an email address.

Then if I was interested I researched the company. If it was all real, then I applied to the email address they provided. I got a couple of interviews but both jobs paid half of what I am used to making.

I also used Indeed.com and it was significantly better. I don't think I saw one scam. Course when you click the link you often went directly to the company's website's employment page. That is how I got the job I got.

For me the Red Flags on Craigslist were:
(1) No company name provided
(2) No email provided
(3) Same ad showed up frequently - you notice it over time
(4) when I put part of the ad text into google I got the same ad for other cities
(5) Pay was too high
(6) vague job descriptions
(7) the ad was for a Personal Assistant

The vast majority of ads I saw on Craigslist were scams. I also just cruised around other city's craigslist employment ads and saw the same ads over and over. It helped me spot the bad ads in my city's section.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:39 PM

38,981 posts, read 20,582,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chai26 View Post
Yep as soon as I see them asking for SS# I hit delete. I wanted to apply to Marriott a few weeks ago, but their website wanted my social and I wasn't comfortable with giving it over the internet. So I called the HR dept. here at the local Marriott that was hiring and left a message explaining that I really wanted to apply, but wasn't comfortable giving my social security number out. I asked if I could come in and fill something out and they never called back. Ohwell!
Most employers seem to be moving away from requesting SS numbers on applications. Unfortunately, many educational institutions and government agencies are asking for it and I'm very concerned about giving it out for fear that they are not safeguarding the numbers.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:43 PM

38,981 posts, read 20,582,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chai26 View Post
Good advice. However, the jobs I've been applying to don't meet any of the above except there is #1. It's listed as "confidential" which unfortunately a lot of legit companies do too (I guess to dodge phone calls). It's not going to stop me from applying to anything I see posted that looks real though. It just bums me out that I was so excited to finally see some jobs listed and most of them have come back as scams.

On another note, I applied to two jobs with a big name company and they sent me a rejection e-mail, but offered to "help" me in their e-mail with a resource for job searching. They put in a link for some search engine that they're partnered with.
I would not give out sensitive information without knowing first whether the company is legit or not. I never apply to jobs directly on the career sites but opt to go directly to their website. I use Google to help me locate the website by typing in "company name official site"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment