Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 07:52 PM

283 posts, read 1,384,516 times

Advertisements

Has anybody been to Moscow to confirm this? I mean come on I didn't know Russian's had money??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 08:17 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,434,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexi-in-Arlington-Heights View Post
........................................... I mean come on I didn't know Russian's had money??
Are you kidding me??? LOL
Russian Mafia, drug and prostitution rings are very much alive, russian business people speculating in europe and overseas are in abundance. Don't be fooled....lot's of russians DO have money (I know, because plenty of them live in Germany!!)

Old 06-20-2007, 10:43 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,370,322 times
Well these cities are only expensive for expats I suppose. The rule of thumb is that the cost of living is determined based upon what it would cost for an expat to live his American/Western livestyle in a foreign country.

Some Asian cities can be quite affordable in comparison to NYC. In Tokyo for example you can find apartments in good neighborhoods for $1,000 to $1,500 a month (most apartments in decent parts of Manhattan start at $2,000 a month), however the apartments in Tokyo are incredibly TINY for that price. Same goes for food in Tokyo. You can find a lot of places that have really cheap meals, however the portions are much smaller than what we are accustomed to in America.

Hong Kong is dirt cheap compared to Tokyo. If you are living in Kowloon instead of on Hong Kong island, then the prices are even cheaper. You can get a good meal in a Hong Kong diner (cha chaan teng) for $5 dollars. The same meal in NYC (well not the same meal since the food would be American instead of Chinese) would cost at least $10-15 in your average NYC coffee shop/diner.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:34 AM

7 posts, read 44,330 times
I think tokyo is the Most Expensive Cities,new york is second

Old 06-21-2007, 05:16 AM

578 posts, read 3,063,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hp11195 View Post
I think tokyo is the Most Expensive Cities,new york is second
London is more expensive than New York

Old 06-27-2007, 09:59 PM

700 posts, read 2,596,553 times
I would have to agree with mead...
I currently reside in Tokyo, and though my rent is expensive by average US standards (of the top business center metro cities SF.NYC,SEA,CHI,DC etc) It is not a killer like presumed. (about 1500 a month USD) Now yes, its smaller compared to most apartments in the states ( 2 bedroom, 1 bath, Living-DR called 2LDK in Japan) I live a quick train ride from most the expat areas of Tokyo. So, whats the upside you ask? Well...the health insurance is great and cheap here, food at average restaurants is cheap, groceries are cheap...and entertainment can be cheap...but drinks are expensive,no car (really...dont need one!)..CHEAP. They get ya on a few taxes, and any travel inter-Japan is hella expensive.Its all about my choices...

I think if I tried to live like I did in the states ( the chase for "stuff" and keeping up with the Jones), I would be in big trouble. Its just not how things are done here. Now isnt that why Im here? This has been just my 20 yen...

Old 07-03-2007, 11:42 PM

143 posts, read 415,460 times
Yes, I've lived in Russia and been to Moscow a few times. The rent there is ridiculous. That is the main reason. If you live like an American it is unbearable, but if you live like a local and get housing help from your company (or privatized your apartment 10 years ago) then Moscow is pretty cheap, like all Russian cities.

For a humous commentary written on this subject I highly suggest the entertaining reading of the article here
In the article he breaks down how much things cost with his own unique humor and use of the English language

Old 07-04-2007, 03:01 AM

103 posts, read 392,159 times
Its country is very rich.For my money.

Old 07-04-2007, 12:39 PM

49 posts, read 288,585 times
London is just RIDICULOUSLY expensive

Old 07-04-2007, 02:03 PM

6 posts, read 34,292 times
Have you lived in Oslo? If so.....how expensive are the apartments to rent?
They must be cheaper outside the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World