Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2010, 11:26 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,125,749 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 11:41 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,685,193 times
This map is very incorrect. Ukraine, Belarus and the Central Asian Republics Russian? Ukraine and Belarus may have similar languages but they would never be called Russian. And the Central Asian Republics don't even have large Russian population anymore, not to mention the cultural and linguistic differences. And religiously, Islam extends more to the south in Africa than that, and basing a culture on religion is very incorrect. And Western Civilization does not encompass all of Europe.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:44 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,533,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
This map is very incorrect. Ukraine, Belarus and the Central Asian Republics Russian? Ukraine and Belarus may have similar languages but they would never be called Russian. And the Central Asian Republics don't even have large Russian population anymore, not to mention the cultural and linguistic differences. And religiously, Islam extends more to the south in Africa than that, and basing a culture on religion is very incorrect. And Western Civilization does not encompass all of Europe.

And Turkey Western? It is almost totally Moslem.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:12 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
And Turkey Western? It is almost totally Moslem.
....not to mention that its heritage, along with that of portions of central Asia, would be better characterized as Turkic.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:33 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,169,557 times
What is Latin culture? I've never been to South America, but I doubt I'd see a bunch of ancient Romans running around down there.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:51 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
What is Latin culture? I've never been to South America, but I doubt I'd see a bunch of ancient Romans running around down there.
The reference is to the Latin derived languages that predominate in most areas south of the U.S.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:28 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,169,557 times
^So why are European countries with Romance languages listed as Western and not Latin?

Old 07-02-2010, 02:27 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,596,039 times
Here is my suggestions...

Turkey and Ukraine - a mix between west and east

Central Asia - definelty not Europe. perhaps should be considered a mixture of Islamic and Asian civilizations

South Africa - though more developed economically and diverse than the rest of the continent, it still is Africa...politicially it is a democratic but African country. demographically, 80% of the population is black African. There may be pockets of "the West" in South Africa but they are pockets and not the general rule for the country.

Madagascar - put in with the rest of Africa. Yes, many have Indian blood but the politics and economics of Madasgascar along with its colonial history make this a safe bet to be placed with the rest of sub-saharan Africa.

Islamic Africa - Yes, Islam is Africa goes much further South than what this map suggests. Guinea, Senegal, Burkina Faso and the other countries of the Sahel are primarily Islamic. However, I do think that due to the moderate nature of Islam in Sub-Saharan Africa, the Islamic countries south of the Sahara should remain labeled with the rest of Sub-Saharan Africa. They are politically and economically sub-saharan Africa. Hence, I have to agree with the OP on this one key point.

Japan - belongs to Asia. Yes, the foreign policy of Japan has been pro-US since the end of WWII. However, it is Asia, plain and simple. Why would South Korea be labeled "Asian" but not Japan? Put Japan with Asia please.

Irian Jaya - Too many immigrants from the rest of Indonesia have moved in. The native Papuans will soon be outnumbered. Thus, put this part of New guinea in with the rest of Indonesia.

Papua New Guinea - this country along with the rest of the Pacific can go witg "other."

The Guiana - If you do not include the English-speaking countries of the West indiaes as "Latin" do not consider the Guiana as Latin either. Guyana, Suriname and French Guiana are not Spanish or Portuguese speaking. Ethnically they are diverse but they are predominanelyl black and East Indian. Not Latin.

Finally, the Caucus Mountain Countries of Georgia, Azerbaijan and Armenia. {Politically, Georgia wants to join the West, NATO and the EU. It is a staunch ally of the West. I do not know enough about the economics and social aspects of this country to determine where it should be placed. Dittto Armenia, I do not know where to put it. Perhaps in "other." Note: Armenia is a staunch ally of Russia. Ditto Azerbaijan. It is an Islamic country but very moderate in nature. It is seen as a balance in international affairs between the pro-western georgia and the pro-Russia Armenia. Perhaps all three countries should be labeled "other" since even Georgia is historically very far from Europe.

Phillippines - I agree. It should be "other" Perhaps you could put the Phillippines in a "Pacific Ocean" category.

It is a good start for a map, but just take a look at my specific details before redrawing it. Cheers.

Old 07-04-2010, 07:36 PM

112 posts, read 281,110 times
And soon New Zealand will be Asian, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World