U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 12:34 AM

3,644 posts, read 9,789,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Was there something that pulled you to this clip...? Some comments or thoughts you had while watching it...what made you post it, or ponder it?
Just that it's so mixed up. I mean, there's a white lady & a black lady on a couch. It starts out in English, then the black lady starts speaking some foreign language. You also hear Spanish words every now and then. Then on the other couch there's a woman who looks like she could be Asian or Hispanic, and a girl who is East Asian looking but has a full Spanish name. Then the audience behind is mostly made up of brown people who could be Southeast Asian or Pacific Islander. I just thought it was interesting.

If you couldn't see the people clearly, here's what they look like:

Last edited by Smtchll; 08-09-2010 at 12:53 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 12:50 AM

16,187 posts, read 39,334,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Just that it's so mixed up. I mean, there's a white lady & a black lady on a couch. It starts out in English, then the black lady starts speaking some foreign language. You also hear Spanish words every now and then. Then on the other couch there's a woman who looks like she could be Asian or Hispanic, and a girl who is East Asian looking but has a full Spanish name. Then the audience behind is mostly made up of brown people who could be Southeast Asian or Pacific Islander. I just thought it was interesting.
All of that is fairly typical of the Philippines.

Also, for whatever reason, most of the celebrities in the Philippines are of mixed backgrounds - i.e. japanese mother, German father, etc. Plus you add in that it was also a former American colony, had enormous Spanish influence as part of their previous empire, and the fact is IN Asia, and always attracted plenty of Asian groups - i.e. Chinese blood, Malay blood, etc. in the mix.

They also have a multitude of languages spoken in the Philippines...and Tagalog (one of the national languages along with English), is basically a local Manila language...so everyone else throughout the country who has their own language already, are somewhat forced to learn Tagalog as that national unity thing, and some just prefer English over Tagalog, as they may or may not actually be all that interested in speaking the Manila language, particularly if from Cebu or somewhere (who will always speak Cebuano or Visayan).

Anyways, the entire country is a heady mix of languages, different skin colors, different influences, and everything else...

I've always found it interesting how many travelers to Asia completely dismiss it is as it isn't exotic enough - i.e. like Thailand or Japan or something. They also dismiss it as it seems too Spanish-influenced and too American-influenced...yet something is strangely exotic interesting right there with all of the mixes meshed in so seemlessly.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:24 AM

2,226 posts, read 4,757,980 times
High society in the Phillipines includes many people of Spanish stock, a lot of Basques. Many are mixed. Tagalog has a lot of Spanish, and in some areas they speak Pidgin Spanish or Chabacano.

My neighbour was born in the Phillipines out of a Spanish family, his brother and father were killed by the Japanese.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:34 PM

287 posts, read 954,785 times
Quote:
Was there something that pulled you to this clip...?
The babe on the left in the dark dress was sure pulling me in.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:11 PM

292 posts, read 893,508 times
Amazing, I never realised there are countries with such a mixed culture. Thanks for the video, I couldn't even guess where it was from (if I had to choose one country I'd say Malaysia though).

Old 08-11-2010, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCostello View Post
Amazing, I never realised there are countries with such a mixed culture. Thanks for the video, I couldn't even guess where it was from (if I had to choose one country I'd say Malaysia though).
Malaysia would have been a good guess. It's actually more mixed than the Philippines, except with different influences.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:22 AM

4,281 posts, read 5,597,135 times
Quote:
All of that is fairly typical of the Philippines.

Also, for whatever reason, most of the celebrities in the Philippines are of mixed backgrounds - i.e. japanese mother, German father, etc. Plus you add in that it was also a former American colony, had enormous Spanish influence as part of their previous empire, and the fact is IN Asia, and always attracted plenty of Asian groups - i.e. Chinese blood, Malay blood, etc. in the mix.

They also have a multitude of languages spoken in the Philippines...and Tagalog (one of the national languages along with English), is basically a local Manila language...so everyone else throughout the country who has their own language already, are somewhat forced to learn Tagalog as that national unity thing, and some just prefer English over Tagalog, as they may or may not actually be all that interested in speaking the Manila language, particularly if from Cebu or somewhere (who will always speak Cebuano or Visayan).

Anyways, the entire country is a heady mix of languages, different skin colors, different influences, and everything else...

I've always found it interesting how many travelers to Asia completely dismiss it is as it isn't exotic enough - i.e. like Thailand or Japan or something. They also dismiss it as it seems too Spanish-influenced and too American-influenced...yet something is strangely exotic interesting right there with all of the mixes meshed in so seemlessly.
Hehe. My sisters-in-law always tell me that when my husband and I have kids they can go be TV stars in the Philippines since they have be half white and half Filipino. My sisters-in-law speak Tagalog, English, and Ilocano. My husband never learned Ilocano.

I knew it was from the Philippines from the start. All I had to see was an Asian with a show that had an English name. Then I also knew they were speaking Tagalog even though I don't speak the language. The clincher was the Asian girl with the Spanish name.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:50 AM

^ The lady in the beginning doesn't look a bit Asian to me. She does have very light skin though, but her facial features are Caucasian

Old 08-11-2010, 01:31 AM

4,281 posts, read 5,597,135 times
Eh, she looked slightly Asian to me. Plus, if you look at her name in the very beginning it's a Spanish name. Big clue there.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:29 PM

5,881 posts, read 3,042,555 times
The link to this is below another topic under "similar threads".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World