Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 10:22 PM

202 posts, read 567,958 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

How about we do something different: say something positive you've found about another country or culture. I'll start:
I've never met a Persian that wasn't extraordinarily gracious and kind.

Mexicans are by far the hardest working people I've ever known, and I've always had a wonderful time when visiting there (and I'm not talking about just going to some beach resort.)

Despite the popular myths about them, Californians are exceedingly friendly, industrious and just plain nice. Also, bad customer service is extremely rare. In fact, I can't think of a time I ever had less than stellar customer service in California.
Your turn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 10:34 PM

291 posts, read 752,088 times
Argentinians are not all arrogant...some are rather humble and nice.

Not all Brazilians are sex...just many are.

Never met a Canadian that I didn't like.

The food from Spain is the best in the world.

Some Americans do care about the world, the environment and consumerism.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:41 PM

383 posts, read 1,589,845 times
I found Dutch people to be very friendly and helpful. It seems that everyone there speaks English. Sometimes, it's a shame, because you don't get to hear their wonderful language.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:40 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
I like the "Ordnung" in Germany. Everything nice and clean, flowers on every balcony, clean windows with white lace covers, people do not leave litter behind. Everyone looks properly dressed on the street.
I agree - I never met Canadian I didn't like.
Most Asians I know are very polite.
Russians are known for great food and hospitality.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:26 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
I'd be hesitant to say "everyone in X culture" is any particular way. Also I have not traveled enough in other nations to judge.

However what experience I've had of Finns the stereotype I'd heard that they're all glum and brooding isn't at all fair. I haven't meant that many of them, but they didn't strike me as particularly glum and were really quite pleasant. And the French aren't really rude or combative the way they're sometimes presented as. I mean French police and officials might be, judging by what French people told me, but cops or bureaucrats here can be pretty obnoxious too so I don't know that that says much.

Also from my sister's experiences of Japan many stereotypes that linger in the US are wrong. However in many cases that's positive stereotypes we have that turned out to be wrong. Although a possibly negative stereotype that seems to be wrong is the Japanese as un-creative corporate drones. Some of them are that, but they apparently have a fair amount of artistic and eccentric people.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:50 AM

282 posts, read 962,326 times
I find Chinese people in Hong Kong to be amazingly nice an welcoming to guests. Also all positive stereotypes about Australians being very friendly and all are true.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:35 AM

112 posts, read 281,110 times
Two months ago I visited Malta where my passport was stolen. The Maltese people were very friendly (although we bombed the **** out of Malta in WW2) and helped me to find the German embassy.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:43 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,737,015 times
Argentineans are some of the nicest people I had the pleasure to run into, they have some of the hottest women I have ever laid eyes on, plus they are fun loving. Not to mention a very beautiful and diverse country overall from Buenos Aires and Bariloche to Mendoza and the Pampas. Vamos Argentina!!!

Colombians are some of the nicest people I had the pleasure to run into, they have the hottest women I have ever laid eyes on, plus they are very fun loving and know how to have a good time. Not to mention the food (well most of it) as well as the coffee and beer is pretty good. Not to mention they have a very beautiful and diverse country with some nice beaches.

Colombia's New Motto
The Promise Land. My Promise

Old 08-23-2010, 02:56 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,438,047 times
French: the most beautiful language ever created, no matter how you put it. It flows like white clouds on the blue sky.

Italy, Spain: pure zest for life.

The US: still decent work opportunities when you're out of luck in your real place of choice. Or your home country. (Which work opportunity will fly out the window sooner or later - while another one will invite you to relocate your nomadic a** at the drop of a hat. But this is becoming non-nice).

Old 08-23-2010, 03:06 PM

152 posts, read 260,728 times
I like Swedish people. I've been in Sweden 3 times and never regreted it. There were also some Swedes in my university - really nice people.

Australians and Kiwis are nice too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World