Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 01:45 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,571,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Currently, I live in the US but I find that there are many short-comings that I did not have to worry about elsewhere (health insurance, safety, convenience, etc.). Still, there are many other factors that I appreciate here that other places did not afford me (aforementioned economic opportunity, for example).
Safety?? What, umm there's plenty of safe places to live in the US. Also, plenty of jobs offer excellent health insurance, luckily the company I work for does, as well as many many other places do too. The complaints about American health insurance is ridiculous for the most part. And I'm not sure what you mean by "convenience"?? It depends on where you live as far as conveniences, that can be said of anywhere you live in the world.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:24 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Safety?? What, umm there's plenty of safe places to live in the US. Also, plenty of jobs offer excellent health insurance, luckily the company I work for does, as well as many many other places do too. The complaints about American health insurance is ridiculous for the most part. And I'm not sure what you mean by "convenience"?? It depends on where you live as far as conveniences, that can be said of anywhere you live in the world.
....... says the one with good health coverage. unbelievable.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:31 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,279,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libohove90 View Post

But Switzerland is very easy to generalize, the US isn't. The US is too varied for a generalization to get far. You may get an idea of the US by generalizing some things about the country, but in the end, it is just an idea. It is not nearly the whole truth.
I agree. But it is interesting, how people tend to generalize Europe. Europe is a continent of more than half a billion people. It consists of many different countries and cultures. Still, many people say "In Europe it is like THIS but in the US it is like THAT" (and it goes either way, Americans or Europeans do it). You can't compare a country to a continent.
Btw. I am not referring to you. Just something I noticed.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:19 PM

398 posts, read 993,812 times
Not even close. The U.S. has a lower quality of life, lower standard of living, more ignorance, more poverty, more crime than most of western Europe. Countries like Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Germany they pay your healthcare, pay your education through college, give you job training, the streets are clean and safe, the people are smart, they care about education, the weather is more tolerable, they build their cities better and don't sprawl like the U.S. Everything about the life there is better.

I was born in America and I'm too stubborn to leave. I wish I had been born in Sweden, Denmark, or Germany. I'm too lazy to immigrate, too lazy to learn the language. It is easier to stay in the U.S. I didn't choose to move here I was just born here. It's a nice country, probably one of the top 50, but not even close to being the best country on Earth. Try to make it better but this country is controlled top to bottom by corporate news/businesses/politicians. Americans are some of the dumbest, fattest people in the world. They are so full of themselves and how great they are. We are not the best in anything except bombing other countries.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:21 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,184,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
The freedoms and all the opportunities we have here cannot be found anywhere else in the world.
Learn a little about the world.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:16 PM

765 posts, read 1,860,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
I agree. But it is interesting, how people tend to generalize Europe. Europe is a continent of more than half a billion people. It consists of many different countries and cultures. Still, many people say "In Europe it is like THIS but in the US it is like THAT" (and it goes either way, Americans or Europeans do it). You can't compare a country to a continent.
Btw. I am not referring to you. Just something I noticed.
Yeah you are right. I still think the US is too varied for any generalization to be taken seriously.

This guy is making generalizations about the US, but there are MANY instances where the generalization is nowhere near reality. It's like whatever you say about the US, you are always right and wrong at the same time.

American people are so diverse because they come from so many different backgrounds. There's a lot of dumb people here, but there's also a lot of intelligent young leaders as well. This country has many faces.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:33 PM

423 posts, read 823,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeStater View Post
The U.S. has a lower quality of life, lower standard of living...
Our human development index is .956 which puts us in 13th place in the Very High Human Development category with a total of 38 countries. Not bad for a country with population over 300 million.

Quote:
more ignorance, more poverty, more crime than most of western Europe.
I've already mentioned poverty a few posts earlier, US has higher poverty than Canada and like 5 European countries.

And how did you measure ignorance?

Old 08-27-2010, 04:35 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
been there done that.
unless you got buckets of money
moving to another country would be like me moving to detroit to get away from it all.
grass is always greener til you get there.
follow the long lines at the entrance gate, that is the best place to live.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:58 PM

441 posts, read 1,327,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libohove90 View Post
Last but not least, the lifestyle. American lifestyle is more laid back than European lifestyle.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:22 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
I've never lived overseas, but I'm very into cultural geography and judging by the people I know who have lived in other nations it depends on what you want and your outlook on life and so forth. I know or know of people who say their favorite country is in Africa or Latin America and who despised Europe.

It's peculiar to generalize the whole world but, from what I've heard by people from who lived in other nations on about every continent, most countries do not go in as much for "bigness" and comfort as us. If you want a large house where the indoor temperature is always in the 70s the US might be the best place for you. That said maybe Canada or Australia would be okay too.

It's a bit curious to see people say Europe is more convenient because inconvenience is often what I hear people who love Europe complain about regarding it. However there is variety among European nations and people on this site use words in ways different than I see in life. I'm guessing in this context "Convenience" means "very urban and dense environment where you can get anything you want on the streets." Convenient in the meaning of "suited to your purpose or comfort or need" the US generally scores high among international travelers I've known, at least if one means inside the home. Inside our houses we tend to have way more stuff than Europeans, going by what I've been told granted, and things are often new so designed for us. We even have homes designed to be more convenient for dwarfs, or giants, and from what I've heard that's not so common in Europe or elsewhere.

Also Internet forums seem to attract secular unattached, often young, people. Most of Europe or even Japan likely is a better environment for those groups. If you're in those groups you don't really need to care that France once listed the Quakers as a cult or that Germany makes home-schooling illegal or that Norway prohibits you from giving your kid some names or that Japan has something of a human trafficking problem in Filipino prostitutes.

Not that I'm saying the US is best. I just think sometimes people get overexcited, like I once did, when they learn that we're not as great as we act. We tend to only compare ourselves to repressive dictatorships, which is both curious and misleading. Even in terms of "married businesswoman who is of a small Christian denomination" there are several nations that class as good on that. Finland and Ireland both rank as high as us on even a conservative groups "Religious Freedom Index." Although Ireland's economy is really tanking, they both tend to be pretty pro-business environments. Switzerland is usually placed above us in "economic freedom."

Index of Economic Freedom: Link Between Economic Opportunity and Prosperity | The Heritage Foundation

Still I'd say if you want big comfortable houses where thriving churches are nearby than the US is likely the place for you. If you just want "freedom" many nations are fine and some might be better than us. If you want a place where even the poor can expect a good long life than Japan or France or Scandinavia might be for you. If you're atheist you might prefer Britain, France, and Scandinavia to us. If you're openly gay than Belgium, the Netherlands, Spain, and Scandinavia might be your thing. If you don't want to deal much with crime Japan might be your thing as it sounds like most of their violence is limited to yakuza, school bullying, and spousal abuse. If you're an unmarried person who isn't in school or the yakuza it sounds like a very safe environment according to my sister. Although it's not that unsafe even if you're a kid in school and your Dad's yakuza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World