Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 01:22 AM

624 posts, read 1,121,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimdall View Post
What's wrong with comparing apples with apples and oranges with oranges? We have poor farmers here as well who aren't necessarily live below poverty line, and last time I checked there are homeless people in Europe. At least there were (http://www.time.com/time/europe/magazine/2003/0210/homeless/story.html - broken link) 7 years ago.

Unless of course EU sets the poverty threshold so much higher than US, that farmers fall under "below poverty line" category, then I'm afraid to ask which category do European hobos go to?
There are homeless people in Europe. UK has most of them: 4000-5500. How's that compared to US? There are no more than 20.000 homeless in all the Europe. The reason is that most of the people own a home and those who don't are protected by the state and the welfare. Those who become homeless are either immigrants who didn't worked 1 year until they got in the streets (so they are not protected by the state) or either was their choice!

Old 08-28-2010, 01:31 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Safety?? What, umm there's plenty of safe places to live in the US. Also, plenty of jobs offer excellent health insurance, luckily the company I work for does, as well as many many other places do too. The complaints about American health insurance is ridiculous for the most part. And I'm not sure what you mean by "convenience"?? It depends on where you live as far as conveniences, that can be said of anywhere you live in the world.
I find it so bizarre that your health insurance is part of your employment.

Especially when USA has such poor annual leave policy, no maternity leave etc

Query: Is there a superannuation policy in USA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by think first View Post
All countries hate us for our freedoms.

USA! USA! USA!
What freedom do you have that I as an Australian, don't have?

Old 08-28-2010, 03:29 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 8 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,920,579 times
There are definitely certain areas in other countries in the world that have high living standards, high quality of life, tolerance of minorities, low crime, efficient high quality education and healthcare, etc. Some examples(in no order): England, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain, Netherlands, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Canada, Japan, South Korea, China, Austrailia, New Zealand, Chile, Singapore, Austria, Belgium, Iceland, Hungary, Czeck(sp?)) Republic, Austria, Italy. etc. So at least 24 other countries in total and Im sure there are more than 24!

Also, it is the other way around too and there are areas of the USA that DONT have high living standards, high quality of life, tolerance of minorities, low crime, efficient and high quality education and healthcare systems, etc.

There are also countries that are gradually doing much better with certain things such as most Eastern European countries, India, etc.

Overall, I dont like to generalize with some things too much, and like to just see what positives and negatives a place has instead of always trying to compare it to another place because comparing too much between places can cause too much division and the world has to be united as one and things like that. And this is exactly why I wont say USA or which other country is " the best country in the world to live" because it can sound too arrogant/divisive.

Last edited by ; 08-28-2010 at 03:47 AM..

Old 08-28-2010, 04:34 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I was born and lived in the U.S. my entire life (lived in CT most of my life). I am 26 years old and never left the U.S., even for a vacation. So, naturally, I am curious.

How does the rest of the world compare to the U.S., in terms of living standards, quality of life, tolerance of minorities, crime, education, healthcare, etc.?

Is the U.S. boring or fun compared to other countries?

For those of you who have lived in another country and also lived in the U.S., what are key differences worth mentioning?

Are there any other countries that Americans should be jealous for, and why?
Based on my own experience, I agree with those who say that no one country can give a person everything, that any one country can give a person something that no other country can, and that how such things are measured is subjective. Therefore the answers to your questions must be on a case-by-case basis.

I am native US, spent the first 15 years of my adult life in Europe, mainly Mediterranean Europe, returned to US to set up a business, have lived the past 5-6 years between the US and a South American country.

In my case and in my view, at least up until very recently, the US has been best for setting up and developing a business (interesting that this is not specifically on your list).

In my case, Mediterranean Europe is best for cultural and spiritual life. What I mean by cultural and spiritual life is subjective.

In my case, a South American country is best for family life, again subjective.

I find that northern Europe is utterly boring, because of its pristine order and predictability, I find the relative chaos of Mediterranean Europe and South America somewhat interesting up to a point, I find the US to be somewhere in between.

Compared to South America, and Latin America in general, to be sure, the US offers better educational opportunities, even at the grade-school level. Europe is probably superior at the grade-school level, the US at the university level, especially the graduate level.

Again, as mentioned, up to now, the US has still offered the best environment for setting up and developing a business. However, emerging markets, including South America, offer much higher rates of return on investment, though at higher risk.

However, I am deeply concerned about the future of the US: in an economy of words, if the US loses its exceptionalism, i.e. it is no longer the best environment to set up and develop business, the cultural and spiritual meaninglessness of daily life makes it no longer worth supporting as a body fiscal and body politic: the current ruling class, by now a cabal, certainly does not seem to be supporting it, instead sacking its wealth and investing in basic production abroad, while attempting to maintain high-tech manufacturing, casting a wide fiscal net and waging war once in a while for control over key commodities and trade routes, typical of imperial ruling classes at this stage of development, obvious to those who study history, we've seen this film before. How do the sayings go? Don't swim against the tide, don't spit into the wind, go with the flow, etc.

My take on some of other specific points on your list.

The US is certainly still tops so far in terms of "convenience" of life, because of skilful application of management techniques and technology, and availability of space compared to Europe, (but some emerging countries are catching up, by some measures even exceeding), while quality of life is, again, subjective: e.g. if convenience of driving to big-box retail is your definition of quality of life, then the US hands down. If you define quality of life by some other measure, you may have to look elsewhere.

As for health care, specifically routine health care, US residents pay double what Europeans pay on average, and around seven times compared to South America on average, for about the same mediocre service. All systems have their success stories and horror stories. Perhaps you are better off in the US if you have a major illness or injury that requires cutting-edge technology to treat and fast. But, again, each system has its success stories and horror stories.
As for the financing of health care, the ruling class is trying to force residents to pay private insurance companies, and that for a doubtful outcome. In Europe, residents are forced to pay taxes, and that for a relatively predictable outcome. In either case, both style systems are facing and will face significant strains in the coming years and decades.

Racism is enshrined in US politics, just look at the census questions. Having said that, the US body social overall is probably more tolerant of minorities than elsewhere, though I cannot speak specifically of Brazil which is probably the most comparable in that sense. Extrapolating current birth rates going forward, Europe may be Islamic in 40 years, but trends can and do change.

Overall, as it stands now, concerned that conditions in the US may deteriorate to the point of being intolerable, if I could solve certain elementary educational problems I would prefer to live in a certain South American country and take my chances with its weaknesses and risks, with a view to contributing to its development or, alternatively, if I could solve certain citizenship and residency issues (I have a chance and am working on it), I would prefer to live in Europe, tolerate its rigidities, and try to enjoy its cultural wealth, among other things. If the US visibly deteriorates at a faster pace than expected pace in the next few years, then I may do one or the other regardless of the weaknesses and risks of these alternatives.

If you are from a family of elevated socio-economic standing, have good family relations, perhaps a family business and/or connections in a profession, and can stomach, even succeed at, corporate and racist politics, then you have a good chance at both a secure and free life in the US. If not, then, going forward, your chances in the US are about as good, or bad, as anyone else elsewhere. In that case, pick your poison.

Hope this contributes to satisfying your curiosity.

Good Luck!

Last edited by bale002; 08-28-2010 at 05:02 AM..

Old 08-28-2010, 04:35 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerouac2 View Post
The reply to the original question, the best country for most people is the one they are from -- it has defined their cultural values, expectations, social status and it is the one country that they fully understand.

However, each country has advantages and disadvantages which can sometimes outweigh all other factors. I don't think that such things can be studied from the outside, even though there is limitless material written about them. The only way to begin to get a feel of whether other countries might offer something "better" for one's own aspirations is to travel and see for yourself.

In my own case, I was born in the U.S. but my mother is French, so my brother and I were exposed to both cultures, and we made a number of trips to France in our youth. As an adult, I moved to France within one week of finishing college, while my brother chose to live his life in the U.S. Each person is different.
Agreed.

I was born and raised in the U.S., and at age sixty-two moved to southern Europe. That was eleven years ago. I am totally happy with my move and never think about the U.S., except as a news event.

Obviously sixty-two years in the U.S. moulded and shaped me, but that is my past; my present is my life where I am - though I am a "foreigner" here surely, an immigrant, etc. nevertheless, my affections and interests are totally focused on Europe.

A good deal of research, and thought and consideration preceded my move; but what has kept me here is not something that can be explained by statistical comparisons. It is more simple and personal: I am far more contented and at peace living here.

After eleven years in Europe I returned to the U.S. for five weeks....wherever I went I was overwhelmed by the stress level that pervades U.S. life, and the now constant social strife and dissatisfaction that preoccupies most people. I am not a man who weeps easily by any means, but when my return flight circled around Lisbon I felt myself filling with joy, and when I got off and was walking through the airport I realized that I was close to tears I was so damned happy to be back home.

I agree with Kerouac2, it is a personal thing.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:49 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Fascinating reading.

Our older son (27) has been living and working in France for 2 and a half years now, this past year in Paris. He and his Parisian girlfriend have a network of friends all over the world, including South America, and sometimes I wonder if he will ever choose a permanent home. But he is still young.

I think what kevxu says is what each person needs to decide: Where do you feel contented and at peace? That is what tells you which is the best country for you.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:52 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I was born and lived in the U.S. my entire life (lived in CT most of my life). I am 26 years old and never left the U.S., even for a vacation. So, naturally, I am curious.

How does the rest of the world compare to the U.S., in terms of living standards, quality of life, tolerance of minorities, crime, education, healthcare, etc.?

Is the U.S. boring or fun compared to other countries?

For those of you who have lived in another country and also lived in the U.S., what are key differences worth mentioning?

Are there any other countries that Americans should be jealous for, and why?
I am an American who has lived most of his adult life in other countries.

Very complicated questions to answer though, but I will try.

LIVING STANDARDS - the US Is LOW...almost NO public transportation, almost no healthcare unless you are employed by the right company. Plus you have every kind of restriction you can imagine in the US - i.e. cant even drink a beer at the beach or at the park...in almost everywhere else in the world, you have that right. Actually you can hardly do anything in the US - it is amazing to me to see a gazillion small businesses in every country in the world...but when I visit my home country, it is only corporations for the most part, and a small business is a real rarity that people marvel at.

QUALITY OF LIFE - cost of living is high in the States, and it has gone to a haves/have nots...which isnt that different from third world countries actually. Meaning, if you have a lot of dough, ALL is good, if you dont, all is difficult though. A bit tougher in the States though than other places, as public transportation is almost non-existant. So even if you are have-not, you still have to make car payments, gas payments, maintence payments, etc. - which is more than rent alone in many other countries.

TOLERANCE OF MINORITIES - I think the States is actually PRETTY GOOD about this...compared to other countries...believe it or not. Although the reputation is that it isnt - which is TRUE...but, its dealing with it...which is about 10000 times better than the rest of the world which doesnt deal with that issue.

CRIME - the US is BAD...crime it incredible in the States. It is ridiculous. I think on pretty much every level, it is South Africa and the USA with the highest crime rates in the world...Colombia/Brazil probably as well. Whatever it is, the US is definetely in the top 5% when it comes to crime, and particularly violent crime. Being that guns are everywhere and a strong part of the culture, certainly contributes to that.

EDUCATION - another area where the US is LOW. Thankfully the US is a country that attracts immigrants...as they are the ones contribuing as doctors, scientists, engineers, etc. AMericans are best at the MBA type stuff...and lawyers...but seem to fall way short at those other levels - which the immigrants seem to be able to do. If we couldnt attract them, wow, we would be in serious trouble as a nation.

HEALTHCARE - the US has always ranked as the worst in the developed world. Personally I would rather have healthcare from an underdeveloped nation, as at least it is at cost, as opposed to the immense overpriced bills they slap you with in the US.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:32 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
I think the people who are reminding us not to over generalize about the US are correct. The US offers the opportunity for virtually every type of lifestyle and geographical experience from deserts to tropics. People moving from state to state and even within states can easily experience culture shock.

Crime is not pervasive all over- certainly not in any meaningful way- houses are not all big, and cities are not all unwalkable. In my town, we're loaded with sidewalk cafes!!

The level of healthcare does vary vastly. Even someone with good insurance in the outbacks of Maine, for example, will not find the quality of care one will near a university teaching hospital. And, 'tis true without insurance, you are in trouble.

I think many Europeans draw their conclusions from visiting the large well known cities and do not even know about the medium and small size cities which offer a different quality of life. It's like judging England on seeing London versus the Cotswolds. They do not understand that that US cities vary from old to new, metropolitan to rural, and the housing and quality of life is vastly different. They do not realize that a cowboy from Montana is completely foreign to a cajun from New Orleans as a Vermont Yankee is to an Appalachian. Communication would be difficult!

Last but not least, what you see on American television (from endless crime to the "streets are paved with gold" myth) does not represent reality for the vast majority of us!!!

Old 08-28-2010, 11:35 AM

321 posts, read 960,510 times
My parents retired to France for a certain number of years, but were forced back to the US at a time when the dollar was miserably low in value. They decided that North Carolina was pleasant and had most of what they were looking for -- my father was born and raised in North Carolina, so he thought he knew the place. They were horrified within the first month, because the main question that absolutely everybody asked them when it was determined that they were "newcomers" was "What church do you go to?" Buying a house, buying furniture, buying a car, getting insurance or just asking for directions... Anything that gave them away as new arrivals triggered the question. First they tried to be polite and non committal, but this just got them a follow-up of "I'd like you to come to my church." They started wondering if people were being paid commissions for recruiting. Before long, my mother was snapping back with statements like "we're atheists!" (something that my father would never have dared to say in a million years).

Needless to say, they only lasted a couple of years in North Carolina and then they moved to Florida, where everybody is from somewhere else. People did not ask prying questions and people who used to live in Michigan certainly did not want to hear from other people about their former life in Massachusetts or Ontario.

This is just one example of different areas of the country being totally different, but I do think that it is very useful to point out that a much larger geographical sector of the country is like North Carolina than places like Florida, New York or California.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:41 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,695,773 times
Is the US the best country to live in? I would say that it is a very general question and no it is not the best place to live in. No place in the world is the best place to live for everyone. For some, this country(the US) is the best place to live in. For others, it is Brazil, China or some other country. It depends what a person wants out of life. In my opinion the US is not one of the world's best places to live in because of the economic problems we are having here. To add to that, the rising cost of living in some areas makes it challenging to live here. If you can somehow land a job that pays well enough for you to pay all your living expenses then yes it can be great. But if you are struggling and have no one to support you, it is rough. I don't believe others who say that the US is the best place to live because that's their opinion only. To say that a certain country is the best place to live in is subjective. I'd consider living in Japan over the US but that's just me. I am not badmouthing the US by saying that. I have visited Canada, the UK, Germany, Japan, China and Mexico. When you visit other countries, your mind gets opened up and you realize that there is more than just the US. Statistics will show that there are several other countries that are considered better to live in than the US if a person can legally get in them to live and work.

Last edited by AliveandWell; 08-28-2010 at 02:49 PM.. Reason: capitalization
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World