U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-06-2010, 02:40 PM
 
267 posts, read 554,370 times
Reputation: 230

Advertisements

I live in the US. While it is a great nation, I worry that it might become something to flee in the future, and I may or may not have legal issues here too. The same goes with Europe, which sounds like a crazy, overpriced, Orwellian prison.

Are there any places with little government (and preferably few people) to where I (and others, maybe a semi-large group of disgruntled Americans/Europeans/kiwis/etc) could settle, given enough money, similar to how British came to America? Preferrably with a decent climate. Please note this is more hypothetical and not something I'm seriously considering in any near future.

Some candidate regions/countries, I would like opinions, preferrably from people who live there or who have visited these areas:

1. Namibia, and other parts like that of Africa. Few people there, tons of land. Mediterranean climate. Relatively stable so I hear.

2. The South Pacific, small non-European territory countries like Vanuatu, Solomon Islands, Fiji, etc. A fair amount of wilderness and relatively low population (from blackbirding perhaps?). Awesome weather except for cyclones.

3. Central Asia. Do those nations like Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan, etc have strong militaries? What is the geography and climate like there?

4. Antarctica. Yes the climate sucks but it IS uninhabited. And we could call any settlement there a "research station". There is an ice free area, the McMurdo dry valleys which look more like Earth than you might think of Antarctica (though extremely barren).

5. South America. Although a lot of people, are places like Argentina, Uruguay, and Brazil stable countries?

6. Random ignored islands. Like St. Helena and Tristan da Cunha in the South Atlantic. Or the French islands in the southern Indian Ocean like Kerguelen or Crozet. Crappy climates for some of those and very isolated, but would the French even notice a settlement there?

Ugh I'm in a very distressed mood the past several months, don't feel like I can get a stable career. And what seems to make things worse is that the US's problems are the world's problems too. Are there places in the world where things are going well, in spite of the big problems right now?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-06-2010, 03:52 PM
 
23,615 posts, read 35,969,668 times
Reputation: 23866
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason87x View Post
I live in the US. While it is a great nation, I worry that it might become something to flee in the future, and I may or may not have legal issues here too. The same goes with Europe, which sounds like a crazy, overpriced, Orwellian prison.

Are there any places with little government (and preferably few people) to where I (and others, maybe a semi-large group of disgruntled Americans/Europeans/kiwis/etc) could settle, given enough money, similar to how British came to America? Preferrably with a decent climate. Please note this is more hypothetical and not something I'm seriously considering in any near future.

Some candidate regions/countries, I would like opinions, preferrably from people who live there or who have visited these areas:

1. Namibia, and other parts like that of Africa. Few people there, tons of land. Mediterranean climate. Relatively stable so I hear.

2. The South Pacific, small non-European territory countries like Vanuatu, Solomon Islands, Fiji, etc. A fair amount of wilderness and relatively low population (from blackbirding perhaps?). Awesome weather except for cyclones.

3. Central Asia. Do those nations like Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan, etc have strong militaries? What is the geography and climate like there?

4. Antarctica. Yes the climate sucks but it IS uninhabited. And we could call any settlement there a "research station". There is an ice free area, the McMurdo dry valleys which look more like Earth than you might think of Antarctica (though extremely barren).

5. South America. Although a lot of people, are places like Argentina, Uruguay, and Brazil stable countries?

6. Random ignored islands. Like St. Helena and Tristan da Cunha in the South Atlantic. Or the French islands in the southern Indian Ocean like Kerguelen or Crozet. Crappy climates for some of those and very isolated, but would the French even notice a settlement there?

Ugh I'm in a very distressed mood the past several months, don't feel like I can get a stable career. And what seems to make things worse is that the US's problems are the world's problems too. Are there places in the world where things are going well, in spite of the big problems right now?
I too feel the same minus the legal issues.

My opinion is this country is headed toward a major event, whether it's a rebellion or civil unrest, etc. as a result of the major economic downturn and the fat cats getting fatter while everyone else suffers.

To me, of your choices South America (and Central America, which you didn't mention) make the most sense for those wishing to emigrate from the US. They present the best compromise in terms of quality of life issues, affordability and ability to enter the country legally.

Argentina and Uruguay stands out on your list of South American countries, as does Peru. All are stable and not dangerous for the most part. Brazil has had some issues (Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo especially) and it doesn't seem
to be a safe place to live as an outsider. Poorer countries such as Paraguay and Bolivia could be options as well, though I know little about them in terms of immigration.

In Central America countries like Honduras and Nicaragua are showing signs of welcoming immigration from the US. Panama and Costa Rica are others but have become more expensive since their "discovery". Both are stable and largely safe for non-natives.

The aforementioned countries in Central and South America have a sizable ex-pat (former US citizens) community living there, so a bit of familiarity could be a welcome benefit.

Apparently non-EU countries in Eastern Europe are becoming popular as well.
I read recently that Moldova is somewhat open to immigration, though perhaps others can expound on that some more.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2010, 04:06 PM
 
13,509 posts, read 16,167,496 times
Reputation: 37885
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
....I read recently that Moldova is somewhat open to immigration, though perhaps others can expound on that some more.
You need to do some more research. Twenty-five percent of the Moldovan population has emigrated because the economic conditions are so abysmal. The country is politically unstable, and has problems with secessionism.

I have a friend who was a law school graduate in Moldova, he left and is now a handiman in Portugal and is living better than he ever did in his own country.

A quarter of the population lives on the equivalent of $2.00 day.

It is a grim situation.

Keep looking.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2010, 04:18 PM
 
3,806 posts, read 5,643,156 times
Reputation: 3314
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
You need to do some more research. Twenty-five percent of the Moldovan population has emigrated because the economic conditions are so abysmal. The country is politically unstable, and has problems with secessionism.

I have a friend who was a law school graduate in Moldova, he left and is now a handiman in Portugal and is living better than he ever did in his own country.

A quarter of the population lives on the equivalent of $2.00 day.

It is a grim situation.

Keep looking.
On the plus side you could live like a king for several years for what it would take to live averagely in the US for a year so if you've got some savings...

On the down side Moldova is a place Russia takes some interest in. As I understand it it would become part of Romania shortly after the Soviet Union collapsed if Russia had't made it well known it would not be pleased by such a development.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2010, 04:38 PM
 
3,806 posts, read 5,643,156 times
Reputation: 3314
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason87x View Post

Some candidate regions/countries, I would like opinions, preferrably from people who live there or who have visited these areas:

1. Namibia, and other parts like that of Africa. Few people there, tons of land. Mediterranean climate. Relatively stable so I hear.
Very high percentage of the population has AIDS. A lot of the land is one of the driest deserts on the planet. Still probably not that bad of a choice although if you look just south South Africa presents more advantages provided you stay in a safe part of the country.

Quote:
4. Antarctica. Yes the climate sucks but it IS uninhabited. And we could call any settlement there a "research station". There is an ice free area, the McMurdo dry valleys which look more like Earth than you might think of Antarctica (though extremely barren).
It isn't a viable place to high tail it to at the drop of a hat. You need your colony already built since you will be intensively dependent on technology for survival. You're going to need a high number of colonists who are experienced in construction and repair work. The rest of the world will get angry if you try to fund your existence by exploiting Antarctica's mineral wealth, and it will matter since your existence will be so precarious when everything is going well. You could make money off tourism, but probably not enough to survive. You might be able to stretch it some with fishing. This also neglects the fact that much if not all of Antarctica is claimed by nations like Britain, Australia, Argentina, and Chile. So far everyone's willing to be hands off since no one has jumped so far, but if you start building a private colony down there which tries to assert sovereignty over itself all bets will be off.

South Georgia Island might be a better choice. Your colony wouldn't be in quite as inhospitable of an area, and there are huge reindeer herds to hunt which would leave all your fish open for export. The soil might allow you to grow some hardy variety of potatoes which could dramatically cut your dependence on food imports provided you can stomach potatoes at every meal. Plus if reindeer can survive there then musk oxen could probably do so as well which would give you a farmable export. Also it quite clearly belongs to the UK so as long as you can convince her majesty to allow your colony you'll be safe.

Quote:
6. Random ignored islands. Like St. Helena and Tristan da Cunha in the South Atlantic. Or the French islands in the southern Indian Ocean like Kerguelen or Crozet. Crappy climates for some of those and very isolated, but would the French even notice a settlement there?
Best to get permission ahead of time so you don't spend decades in prison on charges of espionage. The Tristanians probably would accept some people provided you were willing to move there permanently. I know it is a sore subject to them, but I think the islanders are probably aware of how inbred they've become.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2010, 04:39 PM
 
Location: Anchorage, Alaska (most of the time)
1,226 posts, read 3,466,289 times
Reputation: 1918
There is only one frontier left ...

Alaska, the last frontier.

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Quote:
The same goes with Europe, which sounds like a crazy, overpriced, Orwellian prison.
You've disregarded a whole continent (49 countries - not 1) based on hearsay. Might want to do some more research on the subject before you proclaim things like that in the World-forum where many of us European mind-prisoners hang out

Just curious: are we discussing settling and colonizing, or simply immigrating? The first is rather out of the question, in my opinion. Although there are a few uninhabited islands in international water. They are free for the taking hypothetically.

On the latter ... I'm a bit alarmed by examples 2 and 3. The countries in Melanesia, Micronesia and Polynesia have been colonized by Europeans and Americans in the past, and would probably not like a bunch of disgruntled Westerners settling down in the forest (had Nauru had any forest to talk about, I'd be all in favour, though).
What does the question regarding strong militaries in example 3 mean? So they don't attack the newcomers, or so they won't attack others, or so they won't be run over when attacked by others?

I know it's a hypothetical question, but in my opinion, if it's horrible in the Western world, it's worse in the ... (how to phrase it?) ... "less privileged" world. I like knowing that if I can't make money on my own, I will not have to live on the streets or die because I can't pay for health care or whatever.
Of course, I'm from one of the crazy, overpriced, Orwellian prison countries, but I can't really agree that the world is going down the drain. Maybe it's not time to call it a quit and start looking for a forest to hypothetically live in. IMHO.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2010, 04:42 PM
 
3,806 posts, read 5,643,156 times
Reputation: 3314
If you can handle the heat there's quite a bit of rural land in Australia albeit there's not a lot to do in those parts of Australia economically speaking. I guess you could probably be a cross country truck driver and make that work or something. As I understand it they're pretty open to immigration as they don't feel they have nearly enough people to maintain their standard of living in the future.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2010, 06:34 PM
 
693 posts, read 1,480,070 times
Reputation: 429
Seriously, if the US is under such a state of insecurity, what do you imagine the rest of the world will be like? I'm guessing you haven't travelled outside of the US very much, because quite a few of the places you mentioned are/have been/could be far more oppressive than the US could potentially become. Anyway, when the sh*t hits the fan, do you want to be a resident of a country where you have limited rights and could be kicked out, or at least be in a place where you have rights to citizenship?

Believe me, I have no problems with people who expatriate (and I've considered it myself and still might), but I think your reason for doing it, and your hope of experiencing some sort of utopia with expansive personal freedoms, are a bit unrealistic.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2010, 11:23 PM
 
13,509 posts, read 16,167,496 times
Reputation: 37885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
....You've disregarded a whole continent (49 countries - not 1) based on hearsay. Might want to do some more research on the subject before you proclaim things like that in the World-forum where many of us European mind-prisoners hang out...
Please, just leave well enough alone!

I am an American who has been a happy prisoner for more than a decade. If I wanted to be surrounded by unhappy Americans I wouldn't have immigrated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2010, 11:27 PM
 
Location: The Heart of Dixie
9,352 posts, read 13,948,141 times
Reputation: 6244
I think most of Australia is still a frontier and vary sparsely populated. If I was forced to live in a foreign country, Australia would be my first choice. I don't know how their government is, if its more free and capitalist like America or if its more socialist like Canada and Europe.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top