Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 06:17 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,089,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
More of a thing of the past, an urban legend and a necessary evil due to the lack of affordable housing. I'd say almost all African and Asian cultures are much more family-oriented than those mentioned.
I lived in Portugal for 10 years and I saw how family oriented they are.
Being family oriented doesn't just mean living in the same roof just because it is more affordable, it also means caring, putting so much dedication on families and putting families first on top of other things... I saw that in many Portuguese families the whole time I was there.

Last edited by Hermosaa; 01-21-2014 at 07:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 01:16 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,453,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Italy, Portugal, Philippines, Spain and Latin America
Yup, latin cultures especially, but the PI fer sure. I can't imagine any other national culture that's quite as widely spread around the world (as cooks, maids, porters, nurses, techs, etc.), yet still continues to send so much of their money back "home", which by some estimates amounts to as much as 10% of the Philippines economy!

Overseas Filipino remittances hit record-high

Old 01-21-2014, 09:54 PM

10,216 posts, read 15,917,484 times
If you are talking the immediate family plus the grandparents, then probably Asian cultures like Chinese, Japanese, and Korean. In that they are very close to their families.

Muslim countries though have a HUGE emphasis on clans and tribes which are based on extended family so the extended family is key in places like Afghanistan and Pakistan. Afghans and Iraqis often think of their clan first, then their tribe, then their sect before their national identity.

Africa is a tribal society, but I'm not sure if African tribes are family and clan based the way Islamic tribes are or more regular community based tribes like Native American tribes.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:19 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,089,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Yup, latin cultures especially, but the PI fer sure. I can't imagine any other national culture that's quite as widely spread around the world (as cooks, maids, porters, nurses, techs, etc.), yet still continues to send so much of their money back "home", which by some estimates amounts to as much as 10% of the Philippines economy!

Overseas Filipino remittances hit record-high
Yes Filipinos no matter where they are, they still always think about their families in the Philippines. Some western people I know don't understand why they even have to shoulder the school expenses of their nephews and nieces to school when they always say are not even their own children ! But, it is like that in the Philippines. Family is just so important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World