Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 04:32 PM

32 posts, read 41,615 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone ^_^~

I wanted to know what American Expats feel about the country they are currently living in. What country did you move to? How were your first experiences? What was the most difficult to do and what was the easiest thing to do? Are you happy with your decision? What advise would you give Americans thinking of expat-ing? Would you return to the States sometime near the future? (Pretty much talk about your experience. I'm curious)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 07:18 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
I live in Japan. I also lived in South Korea, Brazil, and Spain. I also went to numerous other countries with the idea of potentially living and staying long-term, and some quickly opted not to, and others I had no intention to stay as long as I did, and I did.

Japan was an easy country for me to move to, as I lived in South Korea for years beforehand. Japan is a 1000 times easier to live in than South Korea. It is also very comfortable and very safe as well.

As far as others who want to be 'an expat', key is WHERE? What are you interested in? Be sure to be interested in the country you want to go to above all. Seems like a lot of people who want to 'go abroad' really have no clue where they want to go or what they want to do, they just want to 'escape' or 'go away'. Just seems like those are the types the least prepared. The ones who succeed are the ones who have ALWAYS wanted to live in Japan or France or wherever, study everything about it out of pure interest, and decide that the language is something they want to start learning well-before arrival.

In regards to Americans with intentions of returning to the States. Depends on the person. As to me, the interesting thing about the States is there are 50 of them, and each one you research seems like a little mini-country in itself. The States looks much different from afar, and I would like to get back at some point, just don't know where. Sadly, it seems like my quality of life will go down considerably if I go back, as the States is so poor with so many things - enormous crime & safety issues, lack of public transportation, immense healthcare costs, etc.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:26 PM

441 posts, read 1,327,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyword View Post
Hello everyone ^_^~

I wanted to know what American Expats feel about the country they are currently living in. What country did you move to? How were your first experiences? What was the most difficult to do and what was the easiest thing to do? Are you happy with your decision? What advise would you give Americans thinking of expat-ing? Would you return to the States sometime near the future? (Pretty much talk about your experience. I'm curious)
maybe share your story first

Old 09-07-2010, 09:08 PM

32 posts, read 41,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I live in Japan. I also lived in South Korea, Brazil, and Spain. I also went to numerous other countries with the idea of potentially living and staying long-term, and some quickly opted not to, and others I had no intention to stay as long as I did, and I did.

Japan was an easy country for me to move to, as I lived in South Korea for years beforehand. Japan is a 1000 times easier to live in than South Korea. It is also very comfortable and very safe as well.

As far as others who want to be 'an expat', key is WHERE? What are you interested in? Be sure to be interested in the country you want to go to above all. Seems like a lot of people who want to 'go abroad' really have no clue where they want to go or what they want to do, they just want to 'escape' or 'go away'. Just seems like those are the types the least prepared. The ones who succeed are the ones who have ALWAYS wanted to live in Japan or France or wherever, study everything about it out of pure interest, and decide that the language is something they want to start learning well-before arrival.

In regards to Americans with intentions of returning to the States. Depends on the person. As to me, the interesting thing about the States is there are 50 of them, and each one you research seems like a little mini-country in itself. The States looks much different from afar, and I would like to get back at some point, just don't know where. Sadly, it seems like my quality of life will go down considerably if I go back, as the States is so poor with so many things - enormous crime & safety issues, lack of public transportation, immense healthcare costs, etc.
Thanks for sharing! I notice that MANY expats going to Japan ^_^.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meet4 View Post
maybe share your story first
I'm not an expat :/ Though I have been thinking about it for a long time. I'm multilingual and still in the process of learning more languages and as I travel and learn about culture and countries around the world; it really peaks my interest in living in those countries.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:31 PM

693 posts, read 1,606,532 times
I'm like Tiger Beer in that I've been an "expat" in a number of places. My first place was Cambodia, and that remains a place very dear to me. I was really young and so up for an adventure, so I tolerated a lot of circumstances that at my current age (if it were all new to me) I would find difficult. I dove into language and culture - I think this is *the* most critical thing to do as a foreigner. I was like a sponge. As I've lived in more places and become a bit more "jaded" I'm not like this as much, but honestly the more open you are, the more willing you are to learn, the better the experience you will have.

Personally I think everyone should spend time living in other cultures, it's very eye opening.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:36 PM

I'll also add I had the intention of living in both Budapest Hungary, Bandung Indonesia, and Santiago, Chile each for the long-term...and after about a month in each place, I quickly realized that I simply wasn't interested in living in them.

I also had no intention of staying in South Korea for as long as I did, but the years flew by there...

Brazil was the one that I still dream about...loved living there, just financially had a difficult time doing so.

Very happy in Japan though all the way around.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:21 PM

I spent just 3 months in Seoul, and while I found the work atmosphere not to my liking at all, I really enjoyed the social atmosphere. And the food. OMG, the food.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbern View Post
I spent just 3 months in Seoul, and while I found the work atmosphere not to my liking at all, I really enjoyed the social atmosphere. And the food. OMG, the food.
My experience as well! Seoul/Korea is pretty ugly during the day...and the workplace is....well, a complete disaster.

But the social atmosphere makes it all worthwhile. The food as well. Actually that is what kept me in Seoul for so many years...really loved the city immensily when not actually dealing with Korean employers and management.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:35 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
did it for over 5 years never again.
sweetest words i ever heard were us customs, welcome home huck.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
did it for over 5 years never again.
sweetest words i ever heard were us customs, welcome home huck.
hehe I will tell you, the more time i spend in other countries, the more I appreciate my own country, the good and the bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World