Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 09:01 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,600,392 times

Advertisements

The Portuguese Millipedes have sprung up in near plague proportions here after the first autumn rains. They're harmless but there's just way too many of them for my liking.

We also have plenty of spiders and flies though now that summer is winding up I'm seeing less and less of them. There is also a colony of native bees that live in my backyard which have been very active lately they seem fairly placid though, you can go very close to them and they don't seem bothered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 12:30 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,553,636 times
California isn't extremely "buggy". We just have a moderate amount of typical black ants, mosquitoes, earwigs, house flies, etc... Its nothing like the Midwest, East or South.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:33 PM

739 posts, read 1,851,613 times
In my part of Oregon, the southwest, you will have mosquitos if you are near standing water. We aren't, so don't have many. We get flies which can be really annoying, especially through the summer. I've seen the occasional black widow spider. Other than that, we feel fortunate to be here with so few problem insects.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:37 AM

1,855 posts, read 3,617,386 times
Laos takes the prize. Leeches. Everywhere. And not just in the water. In the jungles up in the northern provinces, they have dry land tree leeches. They can sense the vibrations from people and other creatures moving on the jungle floor and these things drop on their victims from the canopy above. Gross.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:14 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,553,330 times
Mosquitos!!!!

And of course those typical hot-weather insects like roaches, bees, flies, moths, etcetera.

I also found, oddly, that mosquitos came more in autumn than in winter. Like right now, in april (autumn) is the worse time for mosquitos here in BA. Its full of them, and some HUGE ones, while in the summer you see them but not as much. In the winter you barely see mosquitos, i think.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:33 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,738,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Mosquitos!!!!

And of course those typical hot-weather insects like roaches, bees, flies, moths, etcetera.

I also found, oddly, that mosquitos came more in autumn than in winter. Like right now, in april (autumn) is the worse time for mosquitos here in BA. Its full of them, and some HUGE ones, while in the summer you see them but not as much. In the winter you barely see mosquitos, i think.
An autumn peak is common in most places with Mozzies, often March is a peak period of rain, it is still warm and the mozzies are active and often at their most ferocious, so they hang around until April.
I have found that in most places I have lived where there was and is a sizeable mozzie population - including Mandurah WA and the Northern Rivers of NSW.
This critter is the one we encounter the most here:
File:Big Mosquito Hexham.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Hexham Grey mosquito.
It is stangely not as vicious as smaller species, that will even bite through your clothing.
If you go over to the Bay area or where mangroves are you will also encounter sand-flies, which in my opinion are worse than mosquitoes, and all the old wives and fisherman's tales to repel them do not work.
Fortunately they do not have the same Public Health ramifications that mosquitoes do. (ie spreading Ross River virus etc).
Other than that red-back spiders are also a menace, and have to be sprayed for every year.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:15 AM

46 posts, read 140,011 times
We have stink bugs in California, trap door spiders and have seen my fair share of black widows, when I lived in the UK, nothing really scary but some house spiders that run 10 times faster than I've ever seen here..which can make ya jump! lol

Old 04-22-2012, 11:01 AM

739 posts, read 1,851,613 times
When we lived in the Bahamas the biggest problem was sand fleas, which I remembered after reading Derek40's post. Around dusk they'd be out but you'd never see them. You'd come into the house after a nice walk on the beach with bites everywhere. Very itchy bites. So you either had to spray yourself or come inside for the evening at around dinnertime. We also had those gi-normous roaches but having a monthly exterminator helped a lot. Mosquitoes too, of course, but not as bad as the sand fleas.

I really hate bugs. Why can't we eradicate mosquitoes, at least?

Old 04-22-2012, 12:28 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,996,259 times
Gnats, fruit flies, spiders, mosquitos, and ticks where I live. South-central Pennsylvania

Old 04-25-2012, 06:43 AM

85 posts, read 123,731 times
Thankfully we're spared from most bad insects so far up North, but I find the wasps really d*mn annoying, for they're just so stubborn and are always hovering right in front of your face, or try to take a sip of your soda/juice... next time I have one of those near my face, I'll shoot it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World