Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 10:07 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,127,527 times

Advertisements

Going all the way from ancient Israel during the Biblical age, to the present - would you consider Israel a Western culture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 12:49 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Modern Israel is largely Western. Ancient Israel was a Middle Eastern culture. But your title is about Jewish people, while your actual question is about Israel; so that begins to look like apples and oranges.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:58 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
Some are, some aren't. Israel contains a fair amount of Arabic Jews who may not fit as Western depending on how you place Arabs. I think "Mizrahi Jews" are sometimes Mideastern as well. At least some Jewish have lived in non-Western lands, like India or Central Asia, for many centuries.

Generally speaking Ashkenazi Jews are Western. Sephardic I think tend to be Westernized.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:20 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Jewish people went pretty much everywhere. So you also have Ethiopian-Jews who look pretty much like Ethiopians, etc. Seems like in this era, there are large numbers who have been living in europe and north America, so take on much more european-looking characteristics. But, not everyone did that, you also had MANY Jewish who lived throughout the Middle East for generations as well before Israel existed as a state again. So they take on much stronger Middle Eastern features - which sometimes look a bit european in some ways anyways, a bit anyways, depending.

Literally, it seems like they come from the ends of the earth, so to speak. I've never been to Israel myself though, and many Jewish I have met have been in the States or from the States, who probably had their pre-North America origins in Europe and were dispersed because of Hitler, etc. Probably most people who use city-data, are most familiar with North American jewish people as well, who would have a higher chance of having europe as part of their jewish heritage than of being a jewish person whose family lived in iraq for a few centuries or whatsoever.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:27 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Since you are looking at such a long timeline, then according to the Jewish calender of 5771 years then the answer in no.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:31 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,984,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Some are, some aren't. Israel contains a fair amount of Arabic Jews who may not fit as Western depending on how you place Arabs. I think "Mizrahi Jews" are sometimes Mideastern as well. At least some Jewish have lived in non-Western lands, like India or Central Asia, for many centuries.

Generally speaking Ashkenazi Jews are Western. Sephardic I think tend to be Westernized.
Sephardic Jews can be western and many have lived in western nations as long as Ashkenazi jews. Sephardic Jews have their origins in Spain but were driven out centuries ago. Many moved to the Netherlands, some to the US, England and other western nations. The first Jews that lived in the US were Sephardic Jews. Of course many also moved to North Africa as well as south Eastern Europe and turkey today.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:38 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Modern Israel is largely Western. Ancient Israel was a Middle Eastern culture. But your title is about Jewish people, while your actual question is about Israel; so that begins to look like apples and oranges.
I agree with the above. Modern Israel is mainly a Western culture with a bit a of Middle Eastern culture mixed in.
As for the Jewish people who are spread all over the world it depends on what country they live in.
The Israeli people and the Jewish people are different culturally. Even in the USA expatriate Israelis are a separate group from American Jewish people. For example, for Israelis the Jewish religious holidays are national holidays that can be practiced in a secular manner. American Jews look at the Jewish holidays as a religious ones that identify them as a separate group of Americans.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:33 AM

693 posts, read 1,606,663 times
Israel is a melting pot of many cultures. Jews are a diaspora and associate with both their Jewish heritage and whatever the country they are living in. So a Jew from the US would consider themselves American (western), but with Jewish heritage.

But even though Israel is a melting pot I still think it feels Middle Eastern, in the same way that Lebanon feels Middle Eastern while having many western characteristics.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:52 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,108,829 times
Of course.
Middle Eastern people are also western in every right.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:22 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
I disagree. The Middle East is the orient of antiquity, the very model upon which the 'West' was conceptualized in contrast to the Middle East's 'East'.

However, Oriental religion (Christianity) is foundational to the definition of the West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World