U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Does your country give children born to illegals automatic citizenship?
Yes 9 64.29%
No 5 35.71%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
Old 10-20-2010, 11:42 AM
5,996 posts, read 6,505,188 times
Reputation: 3298


The thread title says it all. If illegal citizens in your country have a child, is that child automatically a legal citizen?
Rate this post positively

Old 10-20-2010, 01:03 PM
Location: 30-40°N 90-100°W
13,856 posts, read 24,922,097 times
Reputation: 6738
This presumably refers to "Jus soli" or birthright citizenship. I guess in the Western Hemisphere it's relatively common, but in the Eastern Hemisphere it's relatively rare. I'm not sure about the following source, but it's all I found and I based what I said on that.

Nations Granting Birthright Citizenship | NumbersUSA - For Lower Immigration Levels
Rate this post positively
Old 10-20-2010, 01:13 PM
38,269 posts, read 38,625,579 times
Reputation: 17806
In Israel in order to get Israeli citizenship at birth at least one of the parents of the child must be an Israeli citizen.
Rate this post positively
Old 10-20-2010, 07:44 PM
86 posts, read 87,631 times
Reputation: 42
Technically, yes. One parent can be an illegal, but the other one must be a legal resident.
Rate this post positively
Old 10-20-2010, 07:50 PM
14,780 posts, read 15,693,037 times
Reputation: 20607
Nope not any more.
Rate this post positively
Old 10-20-2010, 08:08 PM
Location: Macao
16,253 posts, read 39,918,695 times
Reputation: 10011
Jus soli is observed in 16% of the world, the United States being the largest practitioner.

States that observe jus soli include:

Antigua and Barbuda
Chile (children of transient foreigners or of foreign diplomats on assignment in Chile only upon request)
Dominican Republic
El Salvador
Saint Christopher and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Trinidad and Tobago
United States
Rate this post positively
Old 10-20-2010, 08:11 PM
Location: Yucaipa, California
9,881 posts, read 20,481,845 times
Reputation: 6747
Originally Posted by HoustonInhabitant View Post
Technically, yes. One parent can be an illegal, but the other one must be a legal resident.
Thats the way it should be in the u.s.
Rate this post positively
Old 10-20-2010, 09:10 PM
229 posts, read 765,388 times
Reputation: 133
The US... does and I think it's one of the greatest and most important laws in the US!
Rate this post positively
Old 10-20-2010, 10:00 PM
4,282 posts, read 15,134,498 times
Reputation: 3981
Mod Note:

The question has been asked and it has been answered.

For those who wish to discuss illegal immigration, City Data provides an Illegal Immigration forum.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:41 AM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top