Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you be interested in this type of service?
No 18 56.25%
Yes 4 12.50%
Maybe, it would depend on the costs and how much I trusted the business 8 25.00%
No, but I know people that would 2 6.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 12:16 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,631,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
What I miss is some of the fastfood choices like 'Arbys', etc.

Generally seems like most countries do have some general american stuff like goldfish crackers, doritos, etc.
We have a house in Thailand. As far as I know, there are no Arby's in the country, but just about everything else is. McDonald's, KFC and Starbucks are all over the place. You can also find places like Taco Bell, Wendy's, etc. Many of the larger cities have Burger King, pizza parlors, donut shops, etc. There are loads of various international restaurants around BKK and other large cities, and I know of at least one Mexican restaurant in BKK. And that's not to mention you can't walk around the corner without running into 7-11's everywhere. Most of the large supermarkets carry goodies like Pringle's potato chips.

I've been to McD's and KFC, but it was nothing to rave about. I enjoy Thai food anyway, and it's a lot cheaper, so I don't really miss any of the typical fastfood chains.

Although not fastfood, I went to a floating restaurant in Rangsit (north of BKK) several years ago and had a nice juicy steak. Good flavor, lean, low price, but sliced rather thin (about a 1/4 of an inch thick). I think the serving also included a foil-wrapped baked potato.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 12:58 PM

24,476 posts, read 10,804,014 times
The US availability of socalled specialty foods has really improved over the last ten years. I remember lugging everything from canned sausage to gummi baers across the pond. In October I created a stir and check-in was delayed when I had on-board luggage only on an international flight. Underwear, makeup, a bottle of calvados, 10 bars of Yogurette chocolate and some books.
I have always loved spices and my Better Half is a very good guinea pig:>) It is so easy to make tortillias. If you cannot get a local variety of masa, try polenta or Gries. Talk to locals to find some not too finely ground cereal. Let the dough rest!!! No press? Two blocks of wood and a hinge, tack plastic on the blocks and oil them. Salsa is a problem? France has farmers markets all over:>) A sharp knife will do the trick. You may have to import some spices. They do not weigh much. Talk to farmers or butchers about buying a section of beef. Cut your own steak. Which American male does not know how to grill it:>)

Old 11-03-2010, 05:32 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
We have a house in Thailand. As far as I know, there are no Arby's in the country, but just about everything else is. McDonald's, KFC and Starbucks are all over the place. You can also find places like Taco Bell, Wendy's, etc. Many of the larger cities have Burger King, pizza parlors, donut shops, etc. There are loads of various international restaurants around BKK and other large cities, and I know of at least one Mexican restaurant in BKK. And that's not to mention you can't walk around the corner without running into 7-11's everywhere. Most of the large supermarkets carry goodies like Pringle's potato chips.

I've been to McD's and KFC, but it was nothing to rave about. I enjoy Thai food anyway, and it's a lot cheaper, so I don't really miss any of the typical fastfood chains.

Although not fastfood, I went to a floating restaurant in Rangsit (north of BKK) several years ago and had a nice juicy steak. Good flavor, lean, low price, but sliced rather thin (about a 1/4 of an inch thick). I think the serving also included a foil-wrapped baked potato.
Same here, everywhere I've lived abroad has the standard fastfood restaurants. I actually eat mostly local foods as well - now in Japan, before Korean. I actually prefer the local foods as well.

But every once in awhile, there is a craving for something you use to eat occassionally, but haven't ate in a very long time.

Generally speaking, I SIGNIFICANTLY miss the food from abroad when I go back to the States, than missing the States stuff when abroad.

Unfortunately most of the food in the States is purely junk food anyways, so for health reasons alone, it is best to stay clear of it.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:36 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,631,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
But every once in awhile, there is a craving for something you use to eat occassionally, but haven't ate in a very long time.
Evidently, other people around the world seem to get those cravings for exotic delicacies from the west as well.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:22 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,052,382 times
Unless you can get my mother to bake and cook on a regular basis, I would not be interested in anything.

Everytime I return to the US, I miss the food from other places. The US food is junk.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:55 AM

693 posts, read 1,605,733 times
I'm guessing you are asking for opinions because you're interested in opening such a business? I have lived/worked in Africa, Asia and the Middle East, and I've always been able to find at least a few "American style" treats. Right now I live in a country where you wouldn't expect much variety, but really, you can get loads of stuff.

For Mexican, I've learned to make my own tortillas, refried beans, salsa, etc. The ingredients are pretty basic and can be found in lots of countries, except maybe a couple of the herbs/spices and avocados.

Although I also think I'm much less dependent on "American" stuff as well, the longer I am abroad. What I find I really crave are varieties of fruit and vegetables, or fish and seafood, depending on the country I'm in. Last time I went back to the States I bought a bunch of avocados and made guacamole 3 days in a row twice a day. When I go visit SE Asia I eat piles of fruit. There are only two things I bring with me, if I'm not sure I can get it: good coffee and earl grey tea.

With the internet, you can mail order stuff if you really want it, so I am not sure that a specialized service would be that valuable. Amazon.com has pretty much what you need and enough places that ship internationally if people are that desperate. For people in places with extreme lack of availability, my guess is that they also leave the country on a regular basis for R&R and can stock up when they are out.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:53 PM

655 posts, read 2,182,517 times
I would've loved it when I lived in Argentina -- and that's a country that's got a number of "American treats", so that's saying something.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:22 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,626,290 times
I found this thread so interesting. I love Thai and Vietnamese food and would eat it any day over most anything else. I have never cared for and wouldn't walk anywhere for Mexican food. I tried it in NM, supposedly authentic and still didn't much care it. Now, I go to a little taco stand here in CFla and enjoy those occasionally but, that's it.....

When I was in SE Asia a few years ago, I was crazy about all of the fruit. Couldn't get enough of it.

When I was in Italy, couldn't get enough spahgetti. That I would miss anywhere in the world if it wasn't available.

Never have understood the love of Mex food.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:08 PM

693 posts, read 1,605,733 times
I'm like you Annie A, I'd rather have Thai or Vietnamese food any day of the week!

Old 11-07-2010, 03:52 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I tried it in NM, supposedly authentic and still didn't much care it.
Never have understood the love of Mex food.
For many people who grew up with it, it is comfort food.
My son (the one now in Paris) grew up eating it probably once a week.

Claiming authenticity or any sort of superiority can be awfully tricky.
Plenty of folks eschew Tex/Mex, prefer Cal/Mex, or tout 'real' Mex--opinions are as varied as the different varieties of Mexican food. As in any other cuisine, freshness is paramount.
Mole poblano might not be for everyone, but when you are living far from home, having something like that simmering on your stove is fun to do, and even more fun to eat.

I agree with melbern that you can do a lot yourself at home, and a lot of ingredients already can be purchased through Amazon.
All a person needs is time and money.

Quote:
Salsa is a problem? France has farmers markets all over
And maybe some of those farmers are even growing jalapeño chilies.
The kid and his girlfriend did grow some of their own herbs this summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World