Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 10:58 AM

299 posts, read 1,132,188 times

Advertisements

I'm curious as I am currently aiming at getting dual citizenship. The reasons being that A. my husband is from Europe and when we move there, I will have a lot less paperwork to deal with B. When we get old and start having health issues, I won't have to worry about medical bills, and C. it's nice to have options.

You?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 11:06 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,126,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu Again View Post
I'm curious as I am currently aiming at getting dual citizenship. The reasons being that A. my husband is from Europe and when we move there, I will have a lot less paperwork to deal with B. When we get old and start having health issues, I won't have to worry about medical bills, and C. it's nice to have options.

You?
It is my understanding that there are very few people who are eligible to have dual citizenship. It is not an option for everyone. The theory being that you cannot have allegiance to two separate nations. You are either an American or you aren't.

I believe that the only people who can have dual citizenship are those who had no choice in the matter. For instance, if you are born to an American serviceman who is overseas, or both of your parents are American and they were working/visiting another country when you were born.

It is a common misconception that you can be a citizen of two countries at the same time, although some OTHER countries will allow this, I don't believe that the United States will, except in very unusual circumstances.

Of course, obviously, you will still have an American birth certificate (they can't take that away from you), so you will still be able to prove that you were BORN an American regardless of where you choose to have your citizenship - so in essence, that would be kind of like having dual citizenship, but it would not be official.

This information may not be correct, because I am no expert, but it is what I believe to be true. My husband is Canadian, and when he was looking into becoming an American Citizen, this is what they told him at the immigration attorneys office, so I am assuming it is correct.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-31-2010, 11:36 AM

209 posts, read 680,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
It is my understanding that there are very few people who are eligible to have dual citizenship. It is not an option for everyone. The theory being that you cannot have allegiance to two separate nations. You are either an American or you aren't.

I believe that the only people who can have dual citizenship are those who had no choice in the matter. For instance, if you are born to an American serviceman who is overseas, or both of your parents are American and they were working/visiting another country when you were born.

It is a common misconception that you can be a citizen of two countries at the same time, although some OTHER countries will allow this, I don't believe that the United States will, except in very unusual circumstances.

Of course, obviously, you will still have an American birth certificate (they can't take that away from you), so you will still be able to prove that you were BORN an American regardless of where you choose to have your citizenship - so in essence, that would be kind of like having dual citizenship, but it would not be official.

This information may not be correct, because I am no expert, but it is what I believe to be true. My husband is Canadian, and when he was looking into becoming an American Citizen, this is what they told him at the immigration attorneys office, so I am assuming it is correct.

20yrsinBranson

To my knowledge, dual citizenship is possible under certain circumstances, it just may not be acknowledged. For example, I'm a US citizen who qualifies for Danish citizenship. Were I to apply for Danish citizenship the country of Denmark would recognize me as a dual citizen. The US, however, likely would not. I would still hold two passports, granting me full access to both countries, but the US would not recognize my Danish citizenship or consider me a dual citizen.

I could be wrong on that as well, but that is how I've grown to interpret my situation.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:

20yrsinBranson
Actually it is wrong. As an American (don't know about being a Canadian first) but you CAN have dual citizenship. Many years ago it was not allowed but that ban was lifted quite some time ago. Once an American citizen, always one. I think the only way to renounce your US citizenship is to walk into an embassy, throw your passport on the *the* desk and renounce yourself and even then, I don't think it works.

It depends on the country but if you are an American first you can have dual citizenship as long as it's not with a *known* terrorist state. I think there would be some questions to that.

This question was more aimed at Americans

Old 10-31-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVanNostrand View Post
To my knowledge, dual citizenship is possible under certain circumstances, it just may not be acknowledged. For example, I'm a US citizen who qualifies for Danish citizenship. Were I to apply for Danish citizenship the country of Denmark would recognize me as a dual citizen. The US, however, likely would not. I would still hold two passports, granting me full access to both countries, but the US would not recognize my Danish citizenship or consider me a dual citizen.

I could be wrong on that as well, but that is how I've grown to interpret my situation.
Agreed. The U.S. will not recognize you as dual but they don't keep you from having two passports.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:53 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,186,065 times
Quote:
It is my understanding that there are very few people who are eligible to have dual citizenship. It is not an option for everyone. The theory being that you cannot have allegiance to two separate nations. You are either an American or you aren't....
It's not that cut and dried.

"A U.S. citizen may acquire foreign citizenship by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. citizen may not lose the citizenship of the country of birth.U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one citizenship or another. Also, a person who is automatically granted another citizenship does not risk losing U.S. citizenship.

"However, a person who acquires a foreign citizenship by applying for it may lose U.S. citizenship. In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship." [Emphasis added]

This brief quote is from a U.S. government site

US State Department Services Dual Nationality

The second paragraph implies some wiggle room, but obviously one should consult a lawyer.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:12 PM

43,646 posts, read 44,368,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post

"A U.S. citizen may acquire foreign citizenship by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. citizen may not lose the citizenship of the country of birth.U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one citizenship or another. Also, a person who is automatically granted another citizenship does not risk losing U.S. citizenship.

"However, a person who acquires a foreign citizenship by applying for it may lose U.S. citizenship. In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship." [Emphasis added]

The second paragraph implies some wiggle room, but obviously one should consult a lawyer.
Also an American who enlists (volunteers) in a foreign country's army can lose their American citizenship. (If an American is drafted into a foreign country's army because of dual citizenship they will not lose their American citizenship.)

Old 10-31-2010, 05:26 PM

9,359 posts, read 14,303,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post

Even with any such intention, I believe that the individual would still have to go to a US embassy and take an oath denouncing US citizenship. In other words, he would have to be proactive about denouncing citizenship, I do not believe that it would happen automatically. With, of course, the expections mentioned above (voluntary foreign army, association with an entity hostile to the US government, e.g. terrorist group).

I have heard of cases of even three or more citizenships.

In my case, I have one non-US citizenship through marriage and I may be eligible for another one through paternal blood line.

I agree with the OP, the main reasons for it are family considerations and it's just nice to have options.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:15 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,246,614 times
I guess I'll be the first to actually answer the question: Italy, because I have very close Italian friends and I would like to stay there with them as long as I like.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:38 PM

344 posts, read 462,429 times
Russian, so that I can move to Russia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World