Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2010, 05:23 PM

512 posts, read 1,183,815 times

Advertisements

List of countries by Human Development Index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Finally Poland advances to the highest division (along with Slovakia, Hungary and Estonia) and equalizes Portugal. Slovakia goes up 11 spots!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 03:45 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
I never agree with these publications, even though they're sometimes entertaining to read. Main thing... quality of life is so subjective. Sure you can look at life expectancy, crime etc. In reality, it's impossible to know the quality of life without living there and it also depends on your income level and your desires etc.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:13 AM

Who said it was about "quality of life"?? This is about human development. The statistic is composed from data on life expectancy, education and per-capita GDP. There is nothing unbelievable here.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:20 AM

89 posts, read 207,777 times
Why this years report make the countries HDI goes down in the 2009 report Australia was .970 now it's .937 Brazil was .813 now its .699 whats up with that

Old 11-21-2010, 09:27 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,653,022 times
No surprise at all for the composition of the top ten, but the order intrigues me - I'm sure it's a great place, but I struggle to see how for example New Zealand is that much more developed compared to elsewhere in the space of just one year. Per capita GDP would be dependent on currency fluctuations, right? It's been all over our news this week about Ireland having to be bailed out, but according to this we're bailing out the most developed country in the EU!

Old 11-21-2010, 09:39 AM

Here is the official UN site of HDI with county profiles: Statistics | Human Development Reports (HDR) | United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)

Old 11-21-2010, 06:57 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,016,005 times
Looks like the US has gained a lot of ranks from the past and is doing really well this year at 4th place.

I think it's also been a good number of years since Canada slid behind the US (We had a pretty good run in the 90s when we were #1 ).

I am curious though, as some of the other commenters mentioned, what causes such a large change in rankings over a year's span.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:58 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
I thought I mentioned this, but part of why there was a such a big shift up for the US is because they changed how they figured the education axis of the index. (The development index goes on health, wealth, and education I believe) Now they place value on average years of schooling, before they were more focused on literacy and school attendance.

Well even now Americans tend to go to college more than people in most nations. (That seems to be changing, but our people over 40 are still probably more likely to have been to college than say Koreans or Irish over 40) I've always heard that in many countries people of lower academic ability go straight to vocational school or work. In the US college/University in some ways is the vocational school as I know many who mostly go their for skills they feel they'll need at a job.

And if you "adjust for inequality" Americans do less well. However most things I've read indicate Americans in the top-20%, in wealth and/or education, are some of the smartest, happiest, best living people on the planet. Consider 20% of us is like 60 million people we contain a fairly large nation of successful and well-educated people. We also contain a fairly large nation that's living a life equivalent to Turkey or Bulgaria or something. (Despite how that sounds I'm not Left-wing.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World