Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 09:37 PM

115 posts, read 471,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
I think I know of at least
one person who would agree with that.
yay at least one hehe

Old 09-03-2007, 10:08 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,862,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas.cl View Post
How about US-Americans
You are obviously a Bundesrepubik-Deutscher

How about we already have a name: Americans.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:21 PM

115 posts, read 471,317 times
lol I call Americans Americans It was just a suggestion for the one's that don't agree on it.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:33 AM

1 posts, read 2,601 times
Those from the United States of America are called Americans. Those from the United States of Mexico -yes, that is the correct name of that country- are called Mexicans. There are two other countries in the western hemishere with the name "the United States of" and then their names. I don't remember which ones they are. But their people are called by whatever comes after the phrase "The United States Of-". I get very tired of people getting upset about things that are not important to any one but themselves. The rest of the world calls us Americans. It has NOTHING to do with the entire western hemishere being North and South America.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:50 AM

Here are a few more:

United States of Belgium, a confederation that existed during the year 1790

Republic of the United States of Brazil, the name of Brazil between 1889 and 1968

United States of Central America (informal name), properly known as the United Provinces of Central America and the Federal Republic of Central America (through several name changes), a defunct 19th century federation of the nations of Central America

United States of Colombia, name held by Colombia between 1863 and 1886

United States of Indonesia, name of the country from 1949 to 1950

United States of the Ionian Islands, former British protectorate from 1815 to 1864

United States of Venezuela from 1864 to April 15, 1953

Old 09-14-2007, 06:32 AM

1 posts, read 2,582 times
Calling people from the USA "americans" or not is an old discussion in Brazil. Some people always say "estadunidenses", some say that it should be used either that word or "norte-americano" ("yankee" fell into disuse). Well, that's very silly to me. Both expressions aren't unique to describe people from the USA, just as "american" isn't. There's an United States of Mexico, as already stated here, which, BTW, is also in north america. And America is in fact the name of the country in question. We just have to live with the fact that different things may have the same name.

But it does sometimes look arrogant and dismissive anyway when an, hmm, "US-American" says "I'm American" without further specifications (like "from California") or especially "well, in America...". And naming your country after a much larger region is definitely an arrogant decision (but no, I don't blame any of you for that nor am I suggesting a change). Wouldn't it seem very arrogant if some aliens set up some colonies on earth and ended up calling them "United States of Earth"? And it wouldn't matter if the first to call them earthians was a third party...

Old 09-14-2007, 11:32 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,631,619 times
Blame the British. They are the ones who decided to bring the word "Americans" into common usage in reference to their North American colonies.

Old 09-14-2007, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_man View Post
Calling people from the USA "americans" or not is an old discussion in Brazil. Some people always say "estadunidenses", some say that it should be used either that word or "norte-americano" ("yankee" fell into disuse). Well, that's very silly to me. Both expressions aren't unique to describe people from the USA, just as "american" isn't. There's an United States of Mexico, as already stated here, which, BTW, is also in north america. And America is in fact the name of the country in question. We just have to live with the fact that different things may have the same name.

But it does sometimes look arrogant and dismissive anyway when an, hmm, "US-American" says "I'm American" without further specifications (like "from California") or especially "well, in America...". And naming your country after a much larger region is definitely an arrogant decision (but no, I don't blame any of you for that nor am I suggesting a change). Wouldn't it seem very arrogant if some aliens set up some colonies on earth and ended up calling them "United States of Earth"? And it wouldn't matter if the first to call them earthians was a third party...
No, what is arrogant is to come to us 400 years later and tell us that the name we were given is somehow wrong.

Old 09-18-2007, 05:21 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,296,782 times
United States of America: well, we call ourselves Americans.
I was born in Romania, but I am an American Citizen now, and I am not going to call myself: European -American, or Romanian - American, ....
There are 50 states, and I live in Florida, so what should I call myself? Romanian-American-Floridian? American-Floridian? Floridan? European- Floridian?
When I lived in Europe/Romania, I called myself Romanian, not European, in Europe there are many countries and ALL very different from each other, different languages, German language from Germany is very different that Swedish, all though Swedish is a "Germanic" language, same goes for Austria, Switzerland etc., in the United States, everyone, or the majority, speaks English, and all states are the same.....except for geographic scenery!
Also in US there are MANY MANY MANY PEOPLE from ALL over the world! It's not like In Romania where everybody is white and speaks Romanian!
I don't think it is Arrogant at all that we all call ourselves Americans: we do live in the United States of America!
If people who live in the US legally, or otherwise, and are from a different nationality, find it offensive to be called Americans, then I guess they better go back where they came from!

Old 09-18-2007, 10:09 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,088,529 times

Concerning the continents-when being involved with international students for many years I became aware that different parts of the world divide the continents in different ways. Some say Oceania and in the U.S. it is Australia. Some count five continents and some seven and I think some places have different numbers. I asked a geographer about it once and was told there isn't a set way that is universally accepted.

I would like to chime in with the American argument. It is really a tired old thing but still raises hackles. Folks here explained the term as part of the name of the country and as a traditional name that began before there was
such extensive communication and interaction among all the countries of the American continent and the world. It grew in a time of isolation with no conflict for the name occurring. And so it remains today.

There is nothing special about the name. I often have wondered why other people seem to take such pride in it and resent it being used in this tradional way? Is there something special about the name American? I don't think so. Is there some reason why a Bolivian or a Canadian would want to be known by his continent? If there were no USA(and I am sure some wish that were the case)would someone from some place on the American continent(s) or in another place on the globe give any regard to this issue. "Oh, let's tell everyone we are Americans and not Canadians." I don't think so.
I throw out this thought. I think the whole attitude about it is quite silly, a little like pouting because your sister got a bigger piece of cake than you did, and is really based on a general resentment of "the States" and not because the name was usurped and "now we can't use it- darn it anyway-because that nasty old America stole it from us."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World